2015 test mule

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
Are the exhaust housings interchangeable? I.e. if someone were to make a drop in replacement that utilizes a factory exhaust housing, would it work on the 11-14 trucks as well?

Better question, WILL anybody make a drop in replacement that utilizes the factory exhaust housing? Or is that something that would be cost prohibitive when compared to a full single "kit"?

A "kit" is gonna be pretty simple. Many of the parts will interchange. Once Ford has them all available.

6.0L Stroker

Reaction score
Morgan kind of a different topic but is that turbo similar to what's on the 6.7 cab and chassis? We've got a 450 dump truck and it lags like crazy taking off but once it lights it'll damn near squeal the tires and boost up to 30lbs and it's all stock.

Sent from a lawn mower

Jesse_01

Reaction score
Morgan kind of a different topic but is that turbo similar to what's on the 6.7 cab and chassis? We've got a 450 dump truck and it lags like crazy taking off but once it lights it'll damn near squeal the tires and boost up to 30lbs and it's all stock.

Sent from a lawn mower

Hopefully not. The cab and chassis turbos are known to crap the bed early. Gone through 2 in 50k on a all stock f550. There is at least 1 f450/f550 in at ford getting a new turbo in it at all times.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Will the 15 turbo be able to push more air compared to the 11-14?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

No not really

I doubt it will push more. The compressor wheel is pretty much the equivalent to the dual comp wheels in the earlier turbos. It should be a more reliable setup because its not going to turn as many rpm but less rpm means less airflow. So for a tuned truck that wants the power to stay the same but be more reliable, the '15 turbo should be a good choice.

Yep

Thanks for the input.

I want to be more reliable and more power than current turbo. Still thinking a single gt4094 is going to be my answer.

The '15 turbo is only gonna satisfy one of those needs.

Are the exhaust housings interchangeable? I.e. if someone were to make a drop in replacement that utilizes a factory exhaust housing, would it work on the 11-14 trucks as well?

Better question, WILL anybody make a drop in replacement that utilizes the factory exhaust housing? Or is that something that would be cost prohibitive when compared to a full single "kit"?

No on will make a drop in using a factory turbin housing. It would cost too much and be very limited. Remember the factory turbine housing is like 2.5" outlet...

And yes there will be retrofit kits I'm sure available so people with work trucks that are popping turbos will have a more reliable option.

Performance applications will still want to go the single route. Very interchangeable and cost effective.

A "kit" is gonna be pretty simple. Many of the parts will interchange. Once Ford has them all available.

Yep, and tuning changes though it's won't be much. Cost wise it's looking like $3k or more to swap all factory parts from the limited time I looked at it. Too expensive to justify IMO.

Sent from a lawn mower

No it's different. Let's hope they stay reliable though. I will have feed back once we get some bigger tunes on it. It's gonna be months before any tuning is remotely close to available to the public anyway.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Thanks, it's getting factory ptm flares, grill surround and harely style lights. Unfortunately, it's not an opinion that it has more lag. The '15 turbo is not as impressive as was hoped. Especially after I had the time to tear one down and measure wheels and get the full scoop on the new turbo. It's basically the same turbo only with a single compressor instead of dual, which is why it spools slower. The dual compressor wheel will never be beat for it's instant spool up.

Very interesting. I was under the impression that it was going to be a variant of the gt3788va turbo that is found int he dmax and 6.0 trucks. That would mean larger turbine wheel, larger vanes, larger comp wheel, larger turbine shaft etc...

You are saying it is still very similar in size to the 11-14 turbos :cursing: that sucks

Any chance you got some pics?

Reaction score
Very interesting. I was under the impression that it was going to be a variant of the gt3788va turbo that is found int he dmax and 6.0 trucks. That would mean larger turbine wheel, larger vanes, larger comp wheel, larger turbine shaft etc...

You are saying it is still very similar in size to the 11-14 turbos :cursing: that sucks

Any chance you got some pics?

It is the same as a 11-14 but with different compressor.

ahyjyna8.jpg
e6ybehe8.jpg

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures. I have been meaning to try and get my hands on one of these bad boys to see what can be done to it...

anyone got a spare laying around they wanna sell :lookaround:

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures. I have been meaning to try and get my hands on one of these bad boys to see what can be done to it...

anyone got a spare laying around they wanna sell :lookaround:

Ford does. I'm sure if anyone , you can make it a winner !!

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
These chargers have a lot of potential in modified form we are hoping. Ill let you know shortly ;)

Don't forget in your tuning aspects, the 11-14 truck recognizes a wastegate, where as the 15 charger does not. Going to need to get around that, but its already in the works.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Ford does. I'm sure if anyone , you can make it a winner !!

I am going to have to go to a different dealership... the one near me kept trying to sell me the 2011-2014 turbo. When I told them the 2015 had a different turbo they thought I was crazy

KCTurbos

Reaction score
The baby little turbine is gonna keep from going very big on the comp side unfortunately.

10269553_627485910666362_4459354653127023330_n.jpg

Is that the same size as the 2011-2014 turbine wheel. I could not believe how small that thing was. Also the original 2 piece turbine housing makes it hard to open it up to accept a bigger wheel

Reaction score
Honestly these chargers will not be good for big hp. Small turbine and VERY weak shaft design will be a limiting factor. We are pursuing some different options. But I can tell you with out major turbo redesign this is never going to be a 700hp drop in. Probably ever. A $4k drop in modded charger isn't gonna sell. Junk tiny hub pilot shaft and small turbine are very limiting. I'm sure there will be a plethora of drop in wheels shortly so everyone can go crazy exploding their $400 charger upgrade.

Latest posts

Members online