2015 turbo plus dual fuelers eguals....

ChattyCathy

Reaction score
The 15 turbo retrofit from my original understanding was supposed to be the answer for a stock replacement, not a "performance" application.

Dual fuelers and a stock turbo sounds like a brain aneurysm.

I've asked this question MULTIPLE TIMES.

What is the drive pressure ratio of the stock 15 turbo. Or anyone's turbo setup for that matter... nobody seems to want to release that info for some reason.

Doesn't matter what the BP is it made more HP on the dyno duh.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Looks like someone needs to mod the turbine for the work stock guys.

Do duramax's that run basically the same turbo have these same problems?

CATDiezel

Reaction score

Good question. Judging by the rod size in a d max I would say they can handle alittle bit of drivepressure.

2:1 ratio....

Lol...

I feel like im back in 2002 trying to make 450hp on a stock 7.3L.

I'll just throw this out there as far as tuning goes. It's all a guess until you do cylinder pressure tuning. Until that takes place you have no idea where you are in the pressure curve ATDC. Not a big issue for the cummins guys being their rods are twice as big as ours. They can handle shotty tuning for a long time. Just rattles louder. Smarty... lol...

Craig@MFI

Reaction score

I belive the lml actually a stronger motor than earlier dmax

Dzchey21

Reaction score

Sorry I didn't relay that well enough.

What im asking is are the newer duramax modded and stock turbos having the same back pressure issues?

This sure has me thinking i need to find a motor to put rods in right away LOL

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
Sorry I didn't relay that well enough.

What im asking is are the newer duramax modded and stock turbos having the same back pressure issues?

This sure has me thinking i need to find a motor to put rods in right away LOL
Honestly I'm not sure don't mess with the dmax much

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Honestly I'm not sure don't mess with the dmax much

It was just a general question. I know Fleece i making a work stock turbo thats over 700 hp. Im sure thats a modded turbine and everything else but just wondering if maybe Ford choked down the turbine housing to help spool up or something.

Radioflyer

Reaction score

Pistons yes compared to a LBZ. I'd say power handling is similar to a lbz without the worry of cracking a piston. 650ish i'd say is bout the limit. Been some doing 700 but there's been some earlier dmax's that have done the same. Rod's aren't as strong imo.

Reaction score
Hey I am not trying to start a pissing match here just don't want everyone grasping for straws is all, just clearing the air.

Sorry for stating what I know. I guess I'll just let everyone say whatever they want without any questioning. That way no one gets their feelings hurt. I'll quit trying to do it without being a dick.

Next time I'll leave the nice sayings out.... That way there is zero confusion.

That better?

KCTurbos

Reaction score
The EBP:Boost ratio is pretty dang high on the 2015 turbo because of how tiny the turbine wheel is compared to the compressor wheel. If you were to put a similar sized vgt turbo on a 6.0 or 6.4 it would would run like crap and surge. The 6.7 seems to have so much more flow potential that it helps keep the 6.7 more on the compressor map with that sized turbo.. but it is not ideal. It will spool up super fast but back pressure will quickly get out of control... both of those items combined together can cause major engine issues. It is interesting to go back to a similar design to the 6.0 vgt turbo... but with a turbine wheel that is so small.

Basically if you take the larger flow capacity of the 6.7 trucks with the limiting flow capacity of the 2015 6.7 turbine and you will have major ebp:boost issues... but they should spool up nice.

We are working on developing a larger 10 blade turbine wheel for the 6.7 which should make these turbos scream! It will make a much better match for the compressor wheel size. Should equal out the EBP:boost ratio a lot better, flow way more air up top, and sound awesome LOL. We are not as quick to get things to the market as some of the other bigger guys but we are very excited for this project.

Reaction score
The 15 turbo retrofit from my original understanding was supposed to be the answer for a stock replacement, not a "performance" application.

Dual fuelers and a stock turbo sounds like a brain aneurysm.

I've asked this question MULTIPLE TIMES.

What is the drive pressure ratio of the stock 15 turbo. Or anyone's turbo setup for that matter... nobody seems to want to release that info for some reason.

There's nothing really to discuss here. BP is an issue. It's a stock turbo. Of course it doesn't flow enough for 550+ rwhp when it's rated around 380 rwhp stock.

In the 11-14 trucks with stock fuel, most tuning limits fuel to make 30psi of boost with the vgt. Untill you add a bunch of fuel or a crappy tune the BP is tolerable.

The 2015 with the tuning I've been running still limits to 30 psi. So BP has not been a huge issue either. The big race tunes with boost limiter tunes out, they have major drive pressure issues 40 psi @ 80-90 ebp.... But in reality it's a waste to drive the stock turbo that hard because they don't make any more power driven that hard. Actually loose because of all the excess BP. So that's when a larger turbo and gate become a nice addition.

No different than a 6.4, stock turbo + big tunes = problems with no gate. Nobody seems to have an issue grasping that concept so it should be easy here too.

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
Exactly.

I will have the gate setup on my 15 next week. And more dyno tuning trying to get to 600... Safely

Dan Seitler has seen a bunch of BP up top with his current HTTurbo FWIW, it doesn't seem to be high end BP that is the issue. Which is where you would use the gate. Just dial in the tuning to not demand so much boost.

Latest posts

Members online