Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
That was the first thing I did, could not find a thing wrong with it.

Could you send it back and get a new one under warenty???

Sounds like you just got a lemon.

Its almost like your diafram does not open and close as quick as it should and is sticking..

907DAVE

Reaction score
Congrats Dave, im glad you are back up and running. Hopefulyl #3 works out better for ya.

I guess i need to come back up there and go for a ride again!

Thanks, Ken!

Could you send it back and get a new one under warenty???

Sounds like you just got a lemon.

Its almost like your diafram does not open and close as quick as it should and is sticking..

Then explain why adding a small restriction after it smooth everything out?

If the spring or diaphragm was bad, it shouldn't make a difference....?

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Then explain why adding a small restriction after it smooth everything out?

If the spring or diaphragm was bad, it shouldn't make a difference....?

you put the second regulator on after the first Right??

So it goes through the first then into the second regulator?? Am i on the right track here??

If so the the second regulator is the one controling the psi. and makeing it even. If a remember right you said you pulled the spring out of the first regulator AFTER you hooked the secon one up right?? If that is the case then the second regulator is controlling the fuel now and the first is just letting it flow through..

But I might have missed somthing..

907DAVE

Reaction score
Nope, spring is still in the first regulator and the adjuster screw was removed. By doing this the fuel pressure is set to the minimum (40 psi) and the second regulator was used to add the additional 20psi.

My thinking was that if the big regulator poppet was so large that when it lifted it would rapidly drop the pressure, then slam shut and repeat. If so, why would it not do the same with the second regulator in line? The second regulator would smooth things out if this was the case, but that big one should still be chattering away.

Also, if flow was the issue (not enough), why is it that when the pump is set to full speed the fluctuations get worse?

I dunno, I am gonna get some clear hose and make sure air (cavitation) is not my problem before moving further.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
I think HRT might have hit the nail on the head with his one post..

I know you toke it apart BUT what if the was dirt in the fuel line that got pluged inside the regulator,,

I am in no way saying that you did not do a good job of cleaning it, because by the way you built the engine, I would say you did a VERY good job of it. I just wonde if the regulator is faulty.????

i hope you get the problem worked out, AND soon to!!!

907DAVE

Reaction score
I was not able to make any progress with the fuel regulator this weekend, instead I had to hunt down and fix an oil leak. One of the non-serviceable o-rings blew out, so the pumps had to come back out. Originally I left these plugs alone as not to create any issues that can come after they have been changed.....but I had no choice this time. Both plugs came out okay and the leak seems to have stopped. I am expecting my voltage regulator to show up today, then after that I will focus on the fuel regulator.

Funny, two regulator issues.

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
Something is amiss with the fuel regulator. Im running that one on my truck with the fuel coming in and out in the same arrangement and have buttery smooth fuel pressure.

907DAVE

Reaction score
Yeah, more I think about it seems like it is the regulator. I am going to prove that there is no air in the system, then try and get another regulator.

I have about 500 miles on the engine and everything is working well. The motor is very strong and seems to pull much harder at lower boost levels. It seems to clean up much faster as well. I cannot tell if I lost any low end power as a result of the cam, feels about the same as it always has. I have not pushed it really hard yet, I might have hit 35psi once or twice (almost enough to scratch through the gears) .....really just want to enjoy the truck for awhile before I break something else.LOL

I plan on making an 800 mile trip this weekend and will be putting it through its paces then.

Ohh, and I have been getting an average of ~19mpg with mixed driving!

907DAVE

Reaction score
Well the trip went very well. I averaged 17.5 MPG cruising 75 - passing everything in my way. Truck ran perfect, only problem I had was keeping it slowed up.

I have gotten into it hard a few times since and all seems well. I have the boost backed down to 40ish until I can fix my drive pressure reference tube. It is plugged up again, seems like I have to change that thing once a year.

Anyone else have similar issues?

Latest posts

Members online