907DAVE

Reaction score
I aint gonna lie.....I am tired as sh!t. I did not get home until 1AM last night, then is was back at the shop at 7AM.

I drove the truck around a bit tonight and it seems strong. The motor sounds really, really mean. The only thing I can attribute this to is the cam swap, everything else remained relatively similar to the last build. I will be driving the truck daily now and leave the dually hooked to the trailer for the rest of the summer, so expect a video soon.

907DAVE

Reaction score
Ohh and Tim, I will be headed your way the weekend after next......

Big Bore

Reaction score
Photo0004.jpg

Hmm, plastic bag over motor, indoors.

No shots of turbo setup anywhere.

:popcorn:

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
good work Dave! Videos and pictures would be awesome.

I know my first time swapping a motor it faught me a hell of a lot more than just one day haha

northpolerex

Reaction score
I'll vow for this...Dave does amazing work...on everything he does. I get to ride in this beast almost on a daily basis. Every time I sit in the passenger seat it puts a grin on my face...Thing is a beast. Although I am yet to hear it run sense he has put it back together this time ;-)

907DAVE

Reaction score
Well here's a super crappy and boring video of a easy roll on to about 1/3 throttle.....

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Its not much, but its proof it does actually run....:lookaround:

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
So it runs................

How good??

What do you think of it??

What would you do differant if you did it agian??

What do you have for tunning??

Looking good by the way!!!!!

907DAVE

Reaction score
Well, still sorting through a few issues.

First problem was with my alternator, I had installed a 200 amp alternator kit into my original alternator and replaced the rotor as well. When the truck is running the battery light was dimly lit, and the alternator was only charging at ~13.2 volts. I unplugged the regulator and the battery light when out (like it should), but the voltage jumped up to the mid 14's....WTF? How can alternator charge without a regulator? Called up the alternator company and they are shipping me out another regulator.

Second issue, and the one I need some help with.

The fuel pressure was bouncing around pretty violently with the new regulator, almost 20psi. My first though was that the regulator is simply too big and the poppet just cannot easily control pressure at a volume much lower than what it is rated for. I called up Fuelab and they said the pump will be fine under these conditions. I could have left it at that, but I could not take the sound the pump made.....it was so violent that the fuel lines were bouncing all over.

Aeromotive said its not the regulator or the pump.....its cavitation......huh?

Why does is only do it with this regulator and not the previous one?

This evening I had planned to put a piece of clear hose in the return line to verify, but I could not find any around the shop. Instead I plumbed in another regulator after the big one.....and bingo.....fuel pressure was silky smooth again.

This disproves the idea that the regulator is simply too big, or it would not change with the other regulator downstream.....or am I missing something?

So in the meantime I pulled the adjusting screw out of the big regulator and used the second regulator to pull the fuel pressure up to what it needs to be.

Any ideas or direction I should take to resolve this?

Check out this mess of lines........

Photo0005.jpg

907DAVE

Reaction score
Forgot to add that I had flipped the switch to run the pump at full speed and it made no difference, almost seemed more violent.

907DAVE

Reaction score
Quick walk around video for you guys........

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

That should hold you over for a little while.....lol.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Forgot to add that I had flipped the switch to run the pump at full speed and it made no difference, almost seemed more violent.

If it smooths out with the second regulator installed - it could be a "catch" in the movement of the big regulator - I would crack that puppy open and look for defects. I recently was working on a truck and installed a new fuel system - the damn thing wouldn't build pressure for nothing - no matter what I tried.... I ended up disassembling the regulator and found that it was "locked up" - cleaned up the parts - put it back together and it ran like a champ. This regulator had already been used on this same truck in the previous system it was running without any issues.

907DAVE

Reaction score
That was the first thing I did, could not find a thing wrong with it.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
Congrats Dave, im glad you are back up and running. Hopefulyl #3 works out better for ya.

I guess i need to come back up there and go for a ride again!

Latest posts

Members online