30lb of boost on 38R

907DAVE

Reaction score
Nothing, just work on getting that gate dialed in a bit better.

ChunderDownUnder

Reaction score
Yeh i know but this is ridiculous. Its not the normal whistle from the 38R its a howling wind noise. When I took it for the WOT runs both myself and my wife commented on how quiet the turbo was. This howling noise only came on when at full tilt. Then after the 2 runs I noticed it was coming on right from the get go, Now that last trip has confirmed it. I will try and find my video recorded cause if this is the case that wheel is coming out.

Last edited:

DocBar

Reaction score
So I slacken it off to achieve less BP ???
Also got another issue now. Just went to pick my son up from school and this turbo is howl'n it tits off. As soon as you hit it all the way through.

Yeh i know but this is ridiculous. Its not the normal whistle from the 38R its a howling wind noise. When I took it for the WOT runs both myself and my wife commented on how quiet the turbo was. This howling noise only came on when at full tilt. Then after the 2 runs I noticed it was coming on right from the get go, Now that last trip has confirmed it. I will try and find my video recorded cause if this is the case that wheel is coming out.
That is worrisome, I think. My truck will squeal and howl when it's cold and the EBPV is closed but will quiet down as the oil/truck warms up. It's fall there, correct? What kind of temps are you seeing when this occurs?

ChunderDownUnder

Reaction score
That is worrisome, I think. My truck will squeal and howl when it's cold and the EBPV is closed but will quiet down as the oil/truck warms up. It's fall there, correct? What kind of temps are you seeing when this occurs?

Its about 75 outside. I dont have a EBPV and it wasnt doing it for a good 1/2 hour before the runs and the truck was totally warm through that time. I had done a few quick burst before I started the runs. You can hear the wheel wind down when you turn it off and it sounds fine. Just took my filter off and stuck my hand up there and the wheel is tight. Also did another leak down test and its holding pressure.

DocBar

Reaction score
Its about 75 outside. I dont have a EBPV and it wasnt doing it for a good 1/2 hour before the runs and the truck was totally warm through that time. I had done a few quick burst before I started the runs. You can hear the wheel wind down when you turn it off and it sounds fine. Just took my filter off and stuck my hand up there and the wheel is tight. Also did another leak down test and its holding pressure.
Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in then. I'm not even going to guess.

Charles

Reaction score
If it's howling like a police siren then it's shot. Wheel to housing contact, out of balance, oil pressure loss, or any of a number of things could have been the cause, but if it's all of a sudden started howling like a siren, stop and just ease around because you probably need a new CHRA, and no sense filling your intercooler with pieces of that new wheel if you pushed through after it loses thrust control.

Hopefully this isn't the case.

ChunderDownUnder

Reaction score
If it's howling like a police siren then it's shot. Wheel to housing contact, out of balance, oil pressure loss, or any of a number of things could have been the cause, but if it's all of a sudden started howling like a siren, stop and just ease around because you probably need a new CHRA, and no sense filling your intercooler with pieces of that new wheel if you pushed through after it loses thrust control.

Hopefully this isn't the case.

thats exactly what it sounds like. But it is quietening down the more I drive it.
Have a listen here
http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33323

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
ive never heard of a turbo changing tone the more you drive it. might wanna reach in there and inspect shaft play agian just to be sure.. side to side while spinning it by hand and in and out...

ChunderDownUnder

Reaction score
ive never heard of a turbo changing tone the more you drive it. might wanna reach in there and inspect shaft play agian just to be sure.. side to side while spinning it by hand and in and out...

Done it bro post # 167.

Now the reason for this witch hunt was my original dyno run where I was struggling to get 400HP. And that # was achieved on my Economy tune. The other All Out and Street tunes were worse.
Spoke to Matt and the questions were raised regarding Boost - Fuel and HPOP.
Now when I did the dyno I didnt have AE running so there wasnt really much I could tell him. Here is another run I did this morning. With that and the other runs I have attached, do you think those aspects have been answered.
I dont want to book the dyno if Im not ready.

Here is the original dyno sheet to jog your memories. And this mornings run is attached

scan0007_zps7ce96a70.jpg

Attachments

• WOT test 2.xls
    24 KB · Views: 81

Gearhead

Reaction score
Done it bro post # 167.

Now the reason for this witch hunt was my original dyno run where I was struggling to get 400HP. And that # was achieved on my Economy tune. The other All Out and Street tunes were worse.
Spoke to Matt and the questions were raised regarding Boost - Fuel and HPOP.
Now when I did the dyno I didnt have AE running so there wasnt really much I could tell him. Here is another run I did this morning. With that and the other runs I have attached, do you think those aspects have been answered.
I dont want to book the dyno if Im not ready.

Here is the original dyno sheet to jog your memories. And this mornings run is attached

scan0007_zps7ce96a70.jpg

That looks a lot better... ICP is only slightly low but not leaving 100hp on the table low. It should pull pretty hard on that run.

sidwaz

Reaction score
That sound almost sounds like the fan clutch locking up. Mine sounds like that when I first start it up until it warms up then it seems to unlock.

ChunderDownUnder

Reaction score
That looks a lot better... ICP is only slightly low but not leaving 100hp on the table low. It should pull pretty hard on that run.

Ok then onto the dyno I go. Before I book it what am I looking for regarding the dyno. I have heard about loading up the dyno. How much load will I need. And am I still doing the runs in Third with TC locked ???

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
TC locked, 3rd or OD.

I've done it both ways back to back. Made a little more power and a little less tq in OD.

Gearhead

Reaction score
Have you run it on the street or at the track? You need to get a baseline on the street to see where boost is and such. That way when it makes 10lbs less boost on the dyno you'll know it wasn't loaded properly.

ChunderDownUnder

Reaction score
Have you run it on the street or at the track? You need to get a baseline on the street to see where boost is and such. That way when it makes 10lbs less boost on the dyno you'll know it wasn't loaded properly.

All that AE data is running on the street, but I understand what you are saying Matt.