40-45 mph hop/vibration issue

Jomax

Reaction score
i may have accidentally stumbled upon a possible temporary fix for most of the hop issue i have... ill report more about it when i am certain it changed it...

live life full throttle

Keep us posted!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

dsmracing1

Reaction score
Since someone posted on here that throwing a couple hundred pounds right at the tailgate seems to make it go away, I loaded up my dirtbike today and that was definitely the case. Keep in mind I have a CCSB with a slip tank and toolbox in there, so the back tire of the dirt bike is up and pinched in between the tailgate and corner of the box. Ill be damned if the hop was completely gone and she rode smooth as butter. I most definitely have this issue with my short box but It might be solely because I have a 350L slip tank and 200lb toolbox in the back against the cab?

Jomax

Reaction score
Since someone posted on here that throwing a couple hundred pounds right at the tailgate seems to make it go away, I loaded up my dirtbike today and that was definitely the case. Keep in mind I have a CCSB with a slip tank and toolbox in there, so the back tire of the dirt bike is up and pinched in between the tailgate and corner of the box. Ill be damned if the hop was completely gone and she rode smooth as butter. I most definitely have this issue with my short box but It might be solely because I have a 350L slip tank and 200lb toolbox in the back against the cab?

It's possible. I'm happy it worked for you!

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
with what i said i was onto is close to working.. prolly couod be fine tuned with a add a leaf or a half of a add a leaf to just get a couple hundred more lbs of lifting capacity due to the soft ez ride springs.. so i was trying to come up with a temporary way to see just how much shimming is needed to accommodate the almost 2 inch lower on the drivers side lean and dug back to the broke ass kid mud truck days and got a couple hocky pucks to use as shims on the ends of the thick short bottom leaf spring. it did help the lean a little as i trimmed a bit to much off but it drastically reduced my hop. instead of a wider range of the hop, it only does it at exacty 41mph now.. so my theory is that the spring rate is to weak and i am thinking of either trying a stiff add a leaf or going with a shorter rear block and adding another set of factory leaf spring to the factory set there now.. i think i need shocks too...
2264844f62932c1f42726a399bc8e543.jpg
d85ff05945f9e07c3dffd440e99c6692.jpg

live life full throttle

TyCorr

Reaction score
Jake, dead serious here too, did you try a real damper yet? A good shock should remove the resonant frequencies that happen at a certain speed which begins the set of conditions that foster the hopping. My thought is these trucks are using 20 or 30 year old suspension technology and with the power, weight, and speed these trucks are capable of the suspension is totally lacking.

How much unsprung weight do you have at each corner? In other words what does one rim and tire weigh? My guess is three times what that damper (shock) is rated for under ideal conditions. Not going by what the "experts" said but by what my own research pointed to, I had to run three shocks on my 00 once i lifted it and ran oversize wheels and tires. The frontend would bounce. Had to make my own triple shock mount but it fixed the issue.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Jake, dead serious here too, did you try a real damper yet? A good shock should remove the resonant frequencies that happen at a certain speed which begins the set of conditions that foster the hopping. My thought is these trucks are using 20 or 30 year old suspension technology and with the power, weight, and speed these trucks are capable of the suspension is totally lacking.

How much unsprung weight do you have at each corner? In other words what does one rim and tire weigh? My guess is three times what that damper (shock) is rated for under ideal conditions. Not going by what the "experts" said but by what my own research pointed to, I had to run three shocks on my 00 once i lifted it and ran oversize wheels and tires. The frontend would bounce. Had to make my own triple shock mount but it fixed the issue.
that is a good point. i still have factory shocks..

live life full throttle

Layson

Reaction score
So a little update for you guys.... So I told one of my friends who has a lot of money...LOL about the hop issue. He was looking for a truck for his 16 year old kid.

So he goes to one Ford dealership and drives (3) CCLB trucks, each one had the hop at 45 mph....LOL....

Then he drives to another dealer and drives another (3) CCLB trucks and each one of those had it....LOL....

The funny part was his daughter was in on the deal and she was driving and she would "freak" out every time the bobbing happened at 45 mph...LOL.... pretty much a bunch of embarrassed salesmen....LOL

The salesman kept asking....are you sure your daughter wants a CCLB truck....LOL

05wh250

Reaction score
So is it a stiffer shock? Or a better valved shock that's needed. My 05 does this right at 47, 48 mph. I replaced the stock shocks with rancho 7000 a couple years ago.

Has anyone tried a different shock placement? Half the time mine seems like it's just the right rear and other half the whole thing.

Jomax

Reaction score
So a little update for you guys.... So I told one of my friends who has a lot of money...LOL about the hop issue. He was looking for a truck for his 16 year old kid.

So he goes to one Ford dealership and drives (3) CCLB trucks, each one had the hop at 45 mph....LOL....

Then he drives to another dealer and drives another (3) CCLB trucks and each one of those had it....LOL....

The funny part was his daughter was in on the deal and she was driving and she would "freak" out every time the bobbing happened at 45 mph...LOL.... pretty much a bunch of embarrassed salesmen....LOL

The salesman kept asking....are you sure your daughter wants a CCLB truck....LOL

LOL

TyCorr

Reaction score
So is it a stiffer shock? Or a better valved shock that's needed. My 05 does this right at 47, 48 mph. I replaced the stock shocks with rancho 7000 a couple years ago.

Has anyone tried a different shock placement? Half the time mine seems like it's just the right rear and other half the whole thing.

You 100% certain thats not a carrier bearing issue?

payton king

Reaction score
I have a 2012 CCSB and it hops. It is not shock related as I have had 2 different sets of shocks on the truck...6 inch lift and 37's. It has Pure Performance Prodigy 2.65's on there now. From the thread I have been following on powerstroke forum, it appears to be frame related. Some have found bracing to work. I have not had time to address the issue on mine, but it does not hop when loaded, which points to the frame.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Fwiw. I had "wheel hop" with stock wheels and tires. Problem disappeared when I went to a larger heavier tire and rim. As in GONE. Before that I carried 600lbs of additional weight in the bed to "solve" the problem. I removed the weight after new larger rims/tires.

It was the same description you have. However. Long beds seem to have a more amplified version of the 45-55 vibration than Short beds

Mhatlen

Reaction score
Fwiw. I had "wheel hop" with stock wheels and tires. Problem disappeared when I went to a larger heavier tire and rim. As in GONE. Before that I carried 600lbs of additional weight in the bed to "solve" the problem. I removed the weight after new larger rims/tires.

It was the same description you have. However. Long beds seem to have a more amplified version of the 45-55 vibration than Short beds
You guys have all kinds of these I see lol

I have seen posts on PowerStroke.org where others tried adding weight to the bed without changing the frame hop. May ultimately change the speeds where it starts or stops but the structure and characteristics remains the same.

Latest posts

Members online