40-45 mph hop/vibration issue

OuchThatHurt

Reaction score
Anyone figure anything out yet? Mine hopes at 49 bad enough that it worries about putting my kid in the truck. (Even though it puts him right to sleep)

OuchThatHurt

Reaction score
... finally got around to putting some weight right up against my tailgate (55gal drum full) ~460 lbs. No hopp at 49 mph (best the truck has ever driven at those speeds)... and just a slight hint of a shimmy at 70 mph.
- tested and just about all types of roads and bridges.

- can I assume it is a leaf spring problem? I'm going to measure how much the leafs are compressed with that weight in the bed and repost.

Layson

Reaction score
... finally got around to putting some weight right up against my tailgate (55gal drum full) ~460 lbs. No hopp at 49 mph (best the truck has ever driven at those speeds)... and just a slight hint of a shimmy at 70 mph.
- tested and just about all types of roads and bridges.

- can I assume it is a leaf spring problem? I'm going to measure how much the leafs are compressed with that weight in the bed and repost.

One thing to take note is also the pinion angle of the rear axle changes with the additional load.

OuchThatHurt

Reaction score
Ok that makes sense. My truck has done this since it was 100% stock (now 3" lift and 35's) I haven't read of anyone messing with that to see if the angle is right. I certainly wouldn't know where to begin.
Trevor from PMF did mention something to me about it. I might give him a ring and get some more details.

Mine is so bad it makes me want to trade it in.

OuchThatHurt

Reaction score
New find. Rear transmission mount seems crazy loose. I can get under the truck and shake as hard as I can... when I let loose the xfer case and driveshaft shake for half a second or so. Sat in the truck and had a buddy do it... felt exactly like the 45 mph bounce.

OuchThatHurt

Reaction score
Pretty much the weakest rubber mount I have ever seen

Attachments

• 20160426_182454.jpg
    20160426_182454.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 117

Jomax

Reaction score
Pretty much the weakest rubber mount I have ever seen

I wonder if we were to upgrade that to a beefier poly urethane bushing of that would help.

I don't have any issues, but I'm a CCSB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OuchThatHurt

Reaction score
I'm in a CCSB also. My bounce at 49 is crazy. I'm going to ford this week to see if there is an upgrade. I literally can't find any OEM ford part with that part # online. They might have changed the partnumber

Layson

Reaction score
Put a go pro camera on it. You could probably watch it to see if it was squishing.

nighthawk285

Reaction score
Sucks that this is still happening on 6.7s.

I have no way to prove right or wrong, that's why I called the frame flexing a theory. For me, the bracing helped some (whether it solved the symptom or the problem is unknown) but it completely quit after I put in my OUOs. Take that for what it's worth......

I've read mega threads on FTE, TDS, and PSN all with folks with the same problem. I do agree that it seemed to really take off after the 05+ coil suspension was introduced, but I have talked to a few folks with pre-05s and leaf springs that had it.....and 99% have been CCLBs. I'll be curious to see what you guys find out :popcorn:

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
we have several eclb trucks - an 03 V10, 12 6.7 & 13 6.2 and they all do it. my 2010 ccsb 6.4 did it also.

Last edited:

Mhatlen

Reaction score
Sucks that this is still happening on 6.7s.

I have no way to prove right or wrong, that's why I called the frame flexing a theory. For me, the bracing helped some (whether it solved the symptom or the problem is unknown) but it completely quit after I put in my OUOs. Take that for what it's worth......

I've read mega threads on FTE, TDS, and PSN all with folks with the same problem. I do agree that it seemed to really take off after the 05+ coil suspension was introduced, but I have talked to a few folks with pre-05s and leaf springs that had it.....and 99% have been CCLBs. I'll be curious to see what you guys find out :popcorn:
FYI Nighthawk only slapped a brace across his radius arm hangers. I have asked several times for a picture of what he did but he has refused to post up anything.
Very strange considering he started the thread.............

nighthawk285

Reaction score
I did a F&R brace and I didn't refuse to post a picture, I just haven't got around to it yet. I figured there was no point since everybody kept telling me in PMs and on the threads how stupid I was and the frame wasn't an issue.....just got tired of the f*$#ing drama, ridicule, and the same circling conversation lol. It may be the issue, it may not.....but what I did worked for me.

Last edited:

Mhatlen

Reaction score
I did a F&R brace and I didn't refuse to post a picture, I just haven't got around to it yet. I figured there was no point since everybody kept telling me in PMs and on the threads how stupid I was and the frame wasn't an issue.....just got tired of the f*$#ing drama, ridicule, and the same circling conversation lol. It may be the issue, it may not.....but what I did worked for me.
I knew that would get your goat. It's absolutely a frame issue and yea there was a few that kept repeating its a tire problem....Hansel. So I'm going with pointless ? since you toss pictures up pretty regular like.
I will admit it takes time and there are plenty of offsetting compound angles to fabricate a complete setup for these trucks. Takes machinery tools and a welder but it only works when it ties the radius arm hangers and frame together.

My truck would look awful with traction bars since its lifted 7" they would stand out like a sore thumb. All I have to say is the frame stiffening setup I made works and truck drives and handles better too.

OuchThatHurt

Reaction score
.. so if this helps at all.... my 2012 ccsb has the same 47~ mph hopp. It did it completely stock, and now does it with 3" lift, and 3 sets of wheels and tires later.

The only thing that helps it is 450ish + lbs of weight in the bed, or 450ish + tongue weight from a trailer. Even then it , feels to me, it is just dampened or hidden a bit.

I've been under 5 different super duty's. X2 2011, x2 2012 and x1 2014. The only difference I can see is that my crossmember/transmission rubber mount is considerably more weak than theirs.

Not sure if this is it, but it's at ford now getting a new one under warranty. Maybe this will fix it. If not, I have a set of 8ft traction bars being built now that are going to mount up about a foot behind my radius arm brackets. Stand by.

OuchThatHurt

Reaction score
Edit** I'm mounting the traction bars that close because if I'm still having an issue I would like to get a basket fabricated and tie a 4 link up front with the traction bars...
At that point if the bastard still has the superduty shimmy it's getting traded in for a gmc dodomax

OuchThatHurt

Reaction score
Whelp, after having the truck for 4 days the dealership could not find anything wrong with the driveline. They swear up and down that it's the wheels and tires.... even though it has done it through 3 sets. Set of traction bars it is.

Layson

Reaction score
Funny stuff....LOL

TSB 16-0087 MAY 25 2016

2011 to 2016, with 8ft box and factory hitch may exhibit a vibration or
hopping at 42-70 MPH OR 68-112KM.

Repair.. check on drivers side of the hitch to frame mount, should have
cage damper..if not install one under warranty.

Latest posts

Members online