6.0.4 revisited

Would you put 6.4 compounds on your truck?

• Hell Yeah!

Votes: 33 30.6%
  • Sleep on it.

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • Not going to waste my brain cells on this one.

Votes: 24 22.2%
  • The juice isn't worth the sqeeze!

Votes: 26 24.1%
  • My truck already has 6.4 compounds!

Votes: 15 13.9%

• Total voters

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
Can you give a reason why I will be screwed to get them to run properly?
I have done a lot of reading about people *THINKING* about doing it. And most of those topics come to a dead stop because it's all just talk. Not a single person has made the attempt.
Also have you done any other reading in THIS thread before you made your conclusion that this will come to a screeching hault? You say it like the truck is going to go reverse while in drive..... I can make an uneducated suggestion that I will make 1000HP with these turbo's but I am not...

strokin6L

Reaction score
I did read this whole thread...and what i think(along with alot of others) is gonna make this project of yours come to a stop after you get everything in the truck is getting the turbo's to work they way they should like in a 6.4. Like myself and others have said....if it could be done it would've been. There has been some shops that looked into doing this and after finding out that it'd be impossible to control/tune the turbos...the idea of this was ditched. But like i also said....i would love for you to prove us wrong.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
It can be done, just need the money and the right people involved. A standalone vgt controller and a ecm tuned for non vgt should work, in theory at least. Nothing is impossible...

The reason no one has attempted it is because people are intimidated and are afraid to fail. I really hope this works out, I like your determination.

strokin6L

Reaction score
It can be done, just need the money and the right people involved. A standalone vgt controller and a ecm tuned for non vgt should work, in theory at least. Nothing is impossible...

The reason no one has attempted it is because people are intimidated and are afraid to fail. I really hope this works out, I like your determination.

Actually some things are impossible Greg haha! I do like his determination also, and i also would hope this could work, but i just dont see it. I don't think that guys who looked into doing this were intimidated or were afraid to fail...i think it was more of them finding out it was a waste of time and money only for it not to work in the end.

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
I thank you for the vote of confidence. From you and really everyone here. You all have been a great help.

Greg, when it's done maybe I'll take a trip to CT and let ya drive it ;)

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
lol!

People gave up on a lot of things because they didnt feel like it was worth the time to do it. For example Brayden Fleece, he hit big and hard for the dmax croud and gave the 6 liter the cold shoulder and axed his turbo plans. I'd like to see the OP work with Brayden on getting this to work, albeit not a big fan of the way he does business sometimes but he does have a lot of valuable knowledge that would be useful.

Sounds good man, let me know if I can be of any help.

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
Hey PS I am one of those jerks who, when told you can't do something, goes way out of his way to prove them wrong. On that note, I have some local "friends" who have completely blasted my (borrowed) idea, which has really only pissed me off and pushed me further to want to get this done. Finally, this is my daily driven truck that I use everyday for work and I will be forced to put her out of commission for the duration of this project. So guess what! There is no turning back. Truth be told I'm getting bored of talking about this and waiting for the parts. I want to get started but can't. I am looking for a donor block if anyone knows of one to build it out of the truck and then swap it in..

Jon

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Let me make a call tomorrow, I think I may be able to get my hands on one.

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
Just wanted to throw it out there to everyone. I have ditched the idea of using the stock 6.4 actuator (at least for now). The turbo that is coming to me (still waiting for it) has no actuator. So I have been doing a bunch of research on creating my own actuator, I have two different angles I am just not sure yet which will be the best solution. Either one comes out close to the same $ (within $50) plus some electronics which I have not yet determined.

So on that note, my boost gauge doesn't read well at the low end as it is digital to an analog needle, but I was told that 6.0's make 5psi at idle normally. Can anyone confirm this? This will help me make a decision where I go from here.

windrunner408

Reaction score
My 6.0 at idle makes 0psi (monitored by both MAP sensor and mechanical boost gauge). It has always done this.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Never seen one make boost at idle...

Even if you DO get it going, the whole point of this is that it should be MUCH cheaper than doing a set of compounds. If it's not, it's pointless. So I think most guys gave up because even if it could be done, the cost to get it there and the work involved didn't make much sense. Most people figured if you were going to spend this much time and energy, it was easier to just sell and go buy a 6.4...

Again, we're all in here hoping you get it to work, but it needs to be cost effective. Maybe this first time it doesn't need to be, but for everyone else to jump in the bandwagon, it can't cost what a compound setup costs....

I think it would be sweet having a small set of compounds on a 6.0 matched up with some 190's or something similar.

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
Mike,
I completely agree with you. So far I am looking at a grand total of about $1400 in material not including a turbo "controller" which I am pricing out having one specially made for my own actuator system (still undetermined). I am hoping for that not to exceed $500. I will report back with that soon.

Regarding actuation is anyone familiar with the 6.4 turbo veins? Are they anything like the 6.0's and prone to sticking? The 6.0 constantly cycles the veins at idle, do the 6.4's do this? Is this really necessary for an aware operator?

Jon

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
OP - why not take the extra step and install the 6.4 fuel injection system while you are at it? That is way more impressive from the performance aspect than the turbo setup, plus with the computers and wiring you won't have to worry about the turbo controls. :D

You can make boost at idle.

Agreed - it is possible - not sure if a set of stock 6.4 turbos on a 6.0 can specifically - but I bet they could with some tweaks.

Latest posts

Members online