6.0 fan on OBS Results....

Old OutLaw

Reaction score
without the spacer, you actually wind up with More room than you had with the spacer and the metal fan.....

it's a REALLY great mod....pulls more air, runs smoother, more fan to dampr clearance, and it pulls a LOT more air at low speeds, like if for instance,
you are RV'ing on a hot day, and get stuck in traffin in a town somewhere, it's going to be a huge benefit there....

Last edited:

Old OutLaw

Reaction score
yeah it is really nice...the whole fan W/Clutch goes back in a heap easier than the old one came out,
partially due to the shorter length, and partially due to the weight, it's a lot easier to handle.....

Peroni

Reaction score
I just got my 6.0 fan installed. Anyone here have a problem with the fan hitting the shroud when the truck is at extreme angles? I had to pull out of a fairly steep driveway onto the main road and while turning heard something up front rubbing. I painted my blade tips yellow and sure enough on the shroud there is a trace of yellow paint.

It's hitting at the top where there is a section of plastic that goes straight across. Also I couldn't get my pinky between blade tip and the shroud on the top, was able to raise it up a little which might help. If not I'm thinking of either cutting that section of plastic out so the opening is round all the way thru. Or perhaps getting some longer bolts and maybe some 1/4 spaces to push the fan back slightly.

I should mention there is plenty of radiator clearance with the 6.0 fan.

I did a little weighing before installing the parts. My fan clutch with the bolts weighs 5lbs 6oz. Bare stock fan 8lbs 7oz. Bare 6.0 fan 6lbs 1oz. All weights were taken with a certified and calibrated scale.

Old OutLaw

Reaction score
I haven't had any trouble, but haven't been in a bind yet either, I'm gonna
go out and take a look at mine, see how much clearance I have.....BRB

went and looked....my shroud is not flat on top, it's round ALL the way around the shroud.... it also has an inch of clearance between the shroud and the fan all the way around ?

you must have a different shroud ?

Peroni

Reaction score
I took some pics. Here is the shroud looking from the front. See towards the top on the front face how there is a section of plastic going straight across. This prevents the round opening from going all the way thru. I think it's there to block the fan from pulling air over top of radiator.

shroud1_zps21028b1c.jpg

Here is a pic from the backside. You just see a trace of yellow paint where the fan rubbed.

shroud2_zpsea5aa883.jpg

I need to shift my radiator over to the driver side some. There is about 1/2" clearance that side but almost 1 1/2" on pass side. Plenty of room on the bottom too. But even with the shroud as far up as it will go I still cant get a finger between it and the blades.

There has to be a way to jiggle things around here. This fan is way too good to just give up on!

JD3020

Reaction score
Heading to the JY tomorrow with a fellow member to look for some parts, hoping there's a 6.0h there so i can get a fan. Currently no fan on my truck with temps in the mid 70's, and the truck is still running at its normal temp, just don't feel like fighting the stock fan.

Old OutLaw

Reaction score
if you are going to buy a used plastic fan of any kind, carefully look over the junction of the blades with the Hub....if there are stress cracks...Pass.....

Old OutLaw

Reaction score
I checked the clearance on mine, in between the fan and the Flat part of the shroud on top there,
and I have about 3/4 " clearance, and can easily get my thumb in there.........
maybe you engine is shoved all the way ahead in the mounts ?

Strokersace

Reaction score
I checked the clearance on mine, in between the fan and the Flat part of the shroud on top there,
and I have about 3/4 " clearance, and can easily get my thumb in there.........
maybe you engine is shoved all the way ahead in the mounts ?

Or his cab is all the way back on the mounts to allow for more dp room...

Peroni

Reaction score
Or his cab is all the way back on the mounts to allow for more dp room...
If only that were true! Getting the dp to fit in my truck was one of the most unpleasant experiences ever!

and I have about 3/4 " clearance, and can easily get my thumb in there
I get about the same from front of the blades to that flat part. On flat ground the are no problems at all, start getting on some pretty uneven ground and that's when it just started to rub. I ordered some longer bolts and spacers, going to try pushing the fan back about 1/4". It could be that after 100K of bouncing around on crap New England roads that my truck is loosened up and just flexing more than it should.

Old OutLaw

Reaction score
UPDATE ON COOLING MODS....

the changes I have made this year to the cooling system,

(180 degree t-stat,
6.0 fan,
washing out radiator,
3/8" SD trans cooling lines),

have made a HUGE difference in how this cools......
the trans never goes over 180-185 now, and the water temp is staying down where it should...

I'm a VERY HAPPY camper with this outfit now.....

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
I washed my radiator out by taking it out. And running clean water through it and shacking it till it came out clean. The first 4 or 5 gallons looked like mud. My radiator had a lot of sand in it!

Old OutLaw

Reaction score
JC, I "Washed it Out" by taking it out and spraying it down with plain water, then when wet, I used Castrol Super Clean, and wet it down good with it, then sprayed it out with my garden hose nozzle, (not too much pressure), a car wash would have probably worked as well, spraying thru the fins from back to the front. I did this three times. The inside of the radiator core was perfectly clean, no corrosion, no particulates. over time, the fins had a bit of crap in them and I thot it might help a bit. I don't honestly know for sure if it did, but I feel better knowing it's now clean......

the thing that I feel made the biggest significant difference is the 180 degree T-Stat. We are now out on our annual 6-7 Month trip, and the truck is performing Completely different than it ever has before. The water temp is staying at 180-185 degrees towing along, until I hit a hill, and then it goes up. The 6.0 fan cools MUCH better, and the temp guage is staying below the "R" in Normal.

I believe that the other factory thermostat was leaking by, and I also think it must have been impeding the flow of coolant somehow, because this one cools so much better.

all in all, I can now Cool a Significantly larger amount of the power the engine generates without a problem. and this is all weighing 21,000 lbs gross, and being up around 4000 - 8000 feet elevation, (we're in Carmel Junction Utah, and headed North into the Rocky Mountains), so it's been a MAJOR change for the better.

Last edited:

Old OutLaw

Reaction score
running along on flat ground they run right at 200 degrees, when I hit a hill, (i'm talking a 6% grade of over a couple miles), they will get up to around 240-250 degrees....as soon as I pull my foot out of it at the top of the hill, within a mile or two, they are back down to 200, where they stay. This is according to a Snap-On MT2500 "Brick" ......

this is also between 4000-8000 feet somewhere....

Dieselfever

Reaction score
So did you swap the 6.0 clutch too?

From what I've read there is not enough room for the 6.0L clutch. Cheers!
6.0 is left hand thread aswell
What about from a van? Not sure if the 6.0 vans have the same type of clutch as the trucks, but I know the 7.3 vans have a much shorter fan clutch on them for clearance
I didn't consider that :doh:

Sorry to bring this one back up, The 6.0 fan clutch is actually right hand, if it were left then that would mean the fan rotation would be opposite of ours and the fan wouldn't work. It does looks like the hub on the water pump where it threads to is larger than the 7.3 so still no go, for a drop in anyway.