6.4 Engine Rattle Need Help

floridadiesel83

Reaction score
so here is my problem , I have a 08 power stroke 6.4 with 257000 miles . the motor makes a sound that sounds like shaking a spray paint can. its louder on lower rpms but seems to stay on higher rpms if you listen real close . I could be wrong on the higher rpms . I will post a video where you can hear the noise . I pulled the oil pan a little while a go and everything looked good . no play in any of the bearings and also no forward and back ward movement so I don't think its a thrust bearing issue . after that I pulled both valve covers and checked the rocker arms . everything under the valve cover was tight . the truck is not bullet proofed but it has all the deletes done and I run a base tune without HP change just for the deletes . the truck runs perfect , no power loss ,no smoke and no engine light or codes . doing my oil changes always in time and use motorcraft 15w40 and also motorcraft fuel and oil filter . there is no metal in the fuel filter or any sign of damage in the fuel system . injectors are original so is the high pressure pump . the lift pump is new and also all the glow plugs are new . here is the video with the sound :

Video Rattle Can Sound 6.4 Powerstroke

any help is appreciated . Thank you

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
@250k that things gotta be trashed anyhow.. It's probably even the 2nd motor in that truck already.

Also how's end play on the crankshaft? Like back and fourth motion with pry bar.

Crank was walking with this one.

floridadiesel83

Reaction score
@250k that things gotta be trashed anyhow.. It's probably even the 2nd motor in that truck already.

Also how's end play on the crankshaft? Like back and fourth motion with pry bar.

Crank was walking with this one.

first motor and I did have the oil pan off and valve covers .checked with pry bar for back and fourth play . no play at all .also not a single shaving anywhere

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I mean it's more so sparkles, like glitter.. I spread the filter media out and let it drip dry over a dark colored pigmat. Usually a sparkle trail.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
What happens of you throw it in gear and rev it like that holding the brakes? Does it still make the same noise?

floridadiesel83

Reaction score
What happens of you throw it in gear and rev it like that holding the brakes? Does it still make the same noise?
seems like its less noisy but I can still hear it a little in gear with foot on the break . it doesn't always make the noise that's the other thing . sometimes it always does it and sometimes I don't hear it at all . I tried to disable each injector at a time and that didn't change a thing . the sound it most noticeable around cylinder 8 . I seen the ford bulletin online about the engine noise but I don't think that noise is a normal engine noise

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Possibly wrist pin issue?

I mean, With that milege either put it back together and send it or break it down?.? Maybe run it for a few thousand and send oil sample in?

floridadiesel83

Reaction score
Possibly wrist pin issue?

I mean, With that milege either put it back together and send it or break it down?.? Maybe run it for a few thousand and send oil sample in?
the noise is all the time . I just checked it one more time . in gear , in neutral with load or without load .

floridadiesel83

Reaction score
the noise is all the time . I just checked it one more time . in gear , in neutral with load or without load .
I did check for movement in the wrist pins . I thought it was that or the thrust bearing but both checks out ok . also wrist pin noise would be less with the injector disabled . I did disable one after another and the noise stayed . I looked at another 6.4 the other day and it made the same exact noise on low rpms and the guy said it done it since the first day he had it .well that's if he said the truth lol .there is a bulletin about the 6.4 making a rattle can noise on lower rpm . just don't know if it could be that .

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Your torque converter might be going out. Mine was making a metalic clanking noise before it went out all the way. Mine had around 247k on it when the torque converter gave out.

Do you think that's a possibility @DEEZUZ ?

floridadiesel83

Reaction score
Your torque converter might be going out. Mine was making a metalic clanking noise before it went out all the way. Mine had around 247k on it when the torque converter gave out.

Do you think that's a possibility @DEEZUZ ?
that is actually good possible because I had some trans issues . one of my higher gears takes longer to shift . the noise is coming from that area too . I thought it was cylinder 8 but its good possible that its coming from the bell housing .

floridadiesel83

Reaction score
Send er. Lol.
lol I would drop a motor in her before I send her. have to much money in her . powerstroke cowboy had a good idea there with the torque converter . the noise is coming from that area .really hard to 100% pinpoint it down to exact location . its either rear cylinders or torque converter . she shifts a little late in one of the higher gears .

TRUBBS

Reaction score
I know you said the rockers felt tight but did you actually look at them to see if the top hats were worn out/gone? they make a pretty good rattle whent heyre worn.

floridadiesel83

Reaction score
Whelp looks like you're taking trans out next then and running her bare. Lol.. Oh man.
not to hard pulling them transmissions lol I've done them a few times . my transfer case and trans are leaking anyways so probably a good thing to give it an overhaul while I'm at it . thx for the help I keep you all posted