6.4 Engine Rattle Need Help

floridadiesel83

Reaction score
I know you said the rockers felt tight but did you actually look at them to see if the top hats were worn out/gone? they make a pretty good rattle whent heyre worn.
I did not pull them out when I had it a part . I bought a set of injectors the other day , I will pull the rockers while I do those and maybe just replace them . they don't cost to much . Looks like she gives me another week of free work lol still have to change the ball joints and radius arms out . She likes attention and my money :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

floridadiesel83

Reaction score
Whelp looks like you're taking trans out next then and running her bare. Lol.. Oh man...
so today I took the truck to the gastation and filled her up . on my way back she died 3 times and the rattle got somewhat louder . made it home and she wouldn't start at all . have fuel pressure from the lpfp . could that rattle noise be my hpfp ?its the original pump . I didn't see any shavings in the fuel filter .checked that first . I checked for codes and had p2291 injector pressure to low . waited and let truck cool down for 30 min and she fired back up but died again after 10 seconds . if I cycle the key few times she will start and then die after 10 seconds again . I have a feeling its the hpfp but wanted to get some input on it . I know on the 7.3s when the pumps go they wont run when the truck is hot and soon as it cools down it starts again . not sure if the 6.4 is the same with that .

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
That would be a new one to me. I like fuel samples taken directly from the rail into a black container to check for metals.

floridadiesel83

Reaction score
That would be a new one to me. I like fuel samples taken directly from the rail into a black container to check for metals.
what does usually cause p2291 ? one other thing i noticed is that my fuel filter wont keep fuel in it . when i take it off its almost empty .if I cycle the key it will fill up but drains back down . I didn't hook a fuel pressure gauge to the lpfp but i do get fuel on the Shrader valve and it fills the filter . would it be possible that it doesnt build enough pressure to supply the hpfp ? i replaced the lpfp not to long ago with one i bought at autozone . only replaced the pump , not the housing .

floridadiesel83

Reaction score
I hooked my scanner up to it . took a video of it . first time cranking it had 0 pressure . then I cycled the key 2-3 times and left it on each time till the lpfp stopped humming . seems like it humms less then it used to . after that I tried to start truck and she fired up and was running over 5000psi and then you can see it drop and stall . you think it could be possible that my new lpfp is taking a crap on me ? here the video .

video fuel pressure on scanner

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Any parts store fuel pump will crap out in 6 months it seems.

I've had about 3 of them the last 12 months.

I only sell racor supply pumps.

2291 is cause it's not making rail pressure. They were lazy and didn't change it in programming/nomenclature from the huei engines. Don't be shocked by a 87 rail psi too low as well.

Get a good lpfp in there... Racor only.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I've also had the lower fuel filter not sit completely right and not lock in/engage

floridadiesel83

Reaction score
Any parts store fuel pump will crap out in 6 months it seems.

I've had about 3 of them the last 12 months.

I only sell racor supply pumps.

2291 is cause it's not making rail pressure. They were lazy and didn't change it in programming/nomenclature from the huei engines. Don't be shocked by a 87 rail psi too low as well.

Get a good lpfp in there... Racor only.
Good morning , so autozone warrantied the pump and upgraded me for free to a motorcraft one that came with the water seperater housing .not a racor but at least OE. installed it and bled air out and now she runs great again . now I will be changing the rockers and bridges , I ordered a set and also have a set of fuel injectors for her . if that dont take care of the noise I will look into the torque converter. if I do pull the trans I probaply just get it rebuild since she shifts a little late in higher gears. these trucks are kinda like a boat when the go up in miles :ROFLMAO: bring out another thousand :LOL::LOL: I keep you all posted on everything . thank you for all the help.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
So slow down a bit, when you pull the injectors, use a black brake cleaner can cap and capture what comes out of the fuel rail on a few cylinders... Shine a flashlight and check for glitter.

I'd hate to see you install new injectors when your pump is shedding metal...

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
6.4 was the worst diesel engine ever made. I know several shops won't even take them in anymore due to their issues... I've said it years ago but when you look at the number of engines I've changed on 6.0 vs 6.4, the ratio of 6.4s doubles the 6.0s...

I rarely have a 6.4 in that has the original engine and I can count on 1 hand of trucks that were the OE motor with more than 250k on them.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
You may also need bridges if the rocker tips have eaten into them.. I've had them have grooves worn into them thickness of a dime.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
If you do find glitter in the fuel don't remove injectors just yet, report back here first.

floridadiesel83

Reaction score
So slow down a bit, when you pull the injectors, use a black brake cleaner can cap and capture what comes out of the fuel rail on a few cylinders... Shine a flashlight and check for glitter.

I'd hate to see you install new injectors when your pump is shedding metal...
i did not pull the injectors yet . Im going to replace them probaply next week . i will for sure check for glitter . motor in this truck is original for sure . i have a bunch of records on it . if there is glitter I'm going to end up replacing the complete fuel system .Yes on bridges , I ordered those too. I know most shops hate them 6.4s and they have a really bad reputation. I hear that a lot lol . I do like my truck . maybe at some point I do a cummins swap lol .

floridadiesel83

Reaction score
Cummins are for quitters is my motto.. Lmao
its really weird but the truck stopped making the rattle noise since I changed the fuel pump out . drove it for a while today and not a single noise . I hope it stays that way 🤞 Im still going to swap the injectors, rockers and bridges and maybe even the hpfp . just so I have a piece of mind . Im passed the 250k mark with the original pump and injectors so there is probaply not to much life left in them lol . I keep you all posted while I go .

Members online

No members online now.