6.7 carnage

Charles

Reaction score
In the posted pictures of the rods.... just looking at them with no real scale, it looks like the slenderness of those rods is pretty damn out of whack. Are the rod bearings that big, or are the rods that small, or just a weird camera angle?

Depending on clearance with the bottom of the cylinders, those engines may see the biggest benefit from aftermarket rods of any other powerstroke.

java

Reaction score
This is a bummer to see.. My dad was thinking about doing some upgrades to the fuel and air system of his 6.7 when they become available but maybe he should hold off. Do you think live tuning would have changed the outcome of this motor?

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
I'm glad I'm holding o.to ky 7.3 for now. To me it seems these motors need some fine tuning with the aftermarket tuning.

Sent from my EVO 3D on the East Side

Erikclaw

Reaction score
Was there huge bp issues in this truck before it went boom? I don't know how they ran 100hp injectors with that fuel system, had to be loosing rp. 6.4's baby

Chris

Reaction score
I think there are a few things to consider as well.

One, anyone who has driven a 6.7, and especially a tuned 6.7 will notice this. The amount of power it makes down low is rediculous. The way it builds torque down low is much greater than even a 7.3. Id imagine cylinder pressures are going to be an issue.

Two, Its a pretty known fact the cp4 is very limited when it comes to volume. I have caught wind that if you throw much duration to them at all the pressure will plummet quickly. This gives me an idea that the current tunes available, to get the power gains out of an otherwise stock truck, rely on a pretty good amount of timing advance and allowing the motor to fuel itself even earlier in the rpm range to increase torque, and hence increase hp. Adding larger nozzles to the scenario will multiply this effect.

A 6.7 cummins has the same issues compared to a 5.9. granted it doesnt bend rods at 500hp typically, a 6.7 with a quick spooling set of compounds will grenade a few hundred hp lower than a similar equiped 5.9. From the looks of things, the connecting rods are going to be an issue at some point. id be willing to bet once a cp4 can be made to hold pressure at higher volumes, and some cylinder pressure testing is done, and some tuning to take into account larger injectors and heavier fueled engines, youll see the power output grow. We'll learn how to make power at higher rpms so the motors dont destroy themselves down low (just like the 7.3 world went thru) My guess, and thats just it a guess, is these motors wont do the 800-900hp without bending a rod, but id be willing to bet we wont all be worried about them blowing up at 500 either.

Last edited:

ProjecT 9

Reaction score
Damn, doesn't look like I'll be going too in depth in the power department. Staying tuned for updates.

Super08Duty

Reaction score
Im pretty sure theirs a couple guys on the org running nitrous, at least 1 i know of. Hes got to be making north of 600hp and hasnt had any problems yet. could this have been a lemon that destroyed itself?

JDub

Reaction score
I think there are a few things to consider as well.

One, anyone who has driven a 6.7, and especially a tuned 6.7 will notice this. The amount of power it makes down low is rediculous. The way it builds torque down low is much greater than even a 7.3. Id imagine cylinder pressures are going to be an issue.

Two, Its a pretty known fact the cp4 is very limited when it comes to volume. I have caught wind that if you throw much duration to them at all the pressure will plummet quickly. This gives me an idea that the current tunes available, to get the power gains out of an otherwise stock truck, rely on a pretty good amount of timing advance and allowing the motor to fuel itself even earlier in the rpm range to increase torque, and hence increase hp. Adding larger nozzles to the scenario will multiply this effect.

A 6.7 cummins has the same issues compared to a 5.9. granted it doesnt bend rods at 500hp typically, a 6.7 with a quick spooling set of compounds will grenade a few hundred hp lower than a similar equiped 5.9. From the looks of things, the connecting rods are going to be an issue at some point. id be willing to bet once a cp4 can be made to hold pressure at higher volumes, and some cylinder pressure testing is done, and some tuning to take into account larger injectors and heavier fueled engines, youll see the power output grow. We'll learn how to make power at higher rpms so the motors dont destroy themselves down low (just like the 7.3 world went thru) My guess, and thats just it a guess, is these motors wont do the 800-900hp without bending a rod, but id be willing to bet we wont all be worried about them blowing up at 500 either.

I agree Chris, just takes time and testing. I think they'll come around.

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
Those rods look small indeed..hopefully this wont be a common occurrence with these motors as I was looking to skip the 6.4s and go to 6.7 when the time comes. Anybody know the mileage of that engine?

Latest posts

Members online