6.7 Rods?

Wayne

Reaction score
Most guys are fine on stock rods up to the aggressive tuning, dpf, urea, cat delete phase. After that, stock rod failures are quite common. A few do okay, but with time, and improved tuning I'm sure we'll rods live at higher power levels. My guess is once larger replacement aftermarket turbos become readily available, rods will survive at even higher power levels because of the lack of bottom end torque you almost always trade off with larger turbos. This is the same reason I suspect MPD has had stock rods last at the power levels they have on the big single turbo 6.4 trucks. Bottom end torque isn't there as much as with smaller compounds.

I'm sure plenty of guys will go for it, and find new limits as horsepower sells a lot easier than torque to the performance minded guy, plus in stock form, these trucks run at such lower rpm's than other diesel pickups that raising the power band rpm's would make it seem more normal in comparison to everything else on the market. Just my $.02

Built 6.7

Reaction score
are the stock rods worth anything? got a set in the shop, I threw a rod running warhammer tune only with only 16,000 miles on the motor. new short block is $4500 just for future reference for anyone trying to build a truck over 500+

Built 6.7

Reaction score
i just started it up one morning last summer and got about 3 miles away from my house doing about 40mph and it just went pop ,shut off and started coasting

Wayne

Reaction score
I'll answer your question on the value of stock rods with another question: who, in their right mind would replace crappy stock rods with identical rods if they're that far into the engine, and needing to replace existing rods?

Reaction score

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
The 6.7 rods are under built period, nothing more to say about it, and on the valves the manufacture dropped the ball and didn't harden them so that the issue with them, the turbo is constantly out of balance given the design so extreme stress is put on the bearing causing it to fail.

In the end its a motor with a lot of potential that has a lot of poorly thought out parts in/on it.

On a side note we have seen a few trucks that were bone stock that chucked rods out the block, both while towing heavy.

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
They already have rods designed for 6.0, 6.4 and 6.7 powerstrokes. Most dmax and cummins too. You can call them directly or order them through a R&R dealer. There is a wait time to be built though. And you can change designs if you want a custom length or different sizing.

exactly, we stock 10 sets of each ;)

Highmtnstrokin

Reaction score
I will be in the market to buy a new truck later this year. The other truck I'm considering is a 6.7 cummins ho. At least the cummins I can tune and not even worry about rods right off. But a ford I do.

I'm a TAMU grad '91! I'm not trying to call you out, fellow Ag, but, the current 6.7L is a monster that performs well out of the box. So, why do you think that Ford would want to beef up a truck for those wanting to tune the platform for more power/torque? I mean, it would be great for us, the consumer.
But, Ford would be stupid to do this, because it would just give the hotrodders more reason to tune/modify the trucks, thus, potentially presenting more warranty claims due to abuse of the powertrain platform currently in these trucks.

IMHO, the 6.7L provides the consumer with as much (with a warranty) power/tq than the 6.4L tuned/deleted. So, why do we need more? Yes, it's quiet and refined, but, this what us diesel guys are gonna have to get used to...especially under the NAZI/Obama EPA regime.

If guys want a hotrod diesel truck, they're gonna have to go with tuning/modding a 6.0L or 6.4L. There are plenty out there to be had...:)

Oh, by the way, the 6.7L Cummins are crap in this new hp/tq market with the emmisions equipment. Even though the truck and interior are improved over previous platforms, they cannot compare to Ford's product...see for yourself.

Last edited:

Highmtnstrokin

Reaction score
The 6.7 rods are under built period, nothing more to say about it, and on the valves the manufacture dropped the ball and didn't harden them so that the issue with them, the turbo is constantly out of balance given the design so extreme stress is put on the bearing causing it to fail.

In the end its a motor with a lot of potential that has a lot of poorly thought out parts in/on it.

On a side note we have seen a few trucks that were bone stock that chucked rods out the block, both while towing heavy.

With
all due respect...where are these failures/reports?

I'm not arguing that there are not weak points in the 6.7L, but, in a stock configuration, where are the failures?

B585Ford

Reaction score
I'm a TAMU grad '91! I'm not trying to call you out, fellow Ag, but, the current 6.7L is a monster that performs well out of the box. So, why do you think that Ford would want to beef up a truck for those wanting to tune the platform for more power/torque? I mean, it would be great for us, the consumer.
But, Ford would be stupid to do this, because it would just give the hotrodders more reason to tune/modify the trucks, thus, potentially presenting more warranty claims due to abuse of the powertrain platform currently in these trucks.

IMHO, the 6.7L provides the consumer with as much (with a warranty) power/tq than the 6.4L tuned/deleted. So, why do we need more? Yes, it's quiet and refined, but, this what us diesel guys are gonna have to get used to...especially under the NAZI/Obama EPA regime.

If guys want a hotrod diesel truck, they're gonna have to go with tuning/modding a 6.0L or 6.4L. There are plenty out there to be had...:)

Oh, by the way, the 6.7L Cummins are crap in this new hp/tq market with the emmisions equipment. Even though the truck and interior are improved over previous platforms, they cannot compare to Ford's product...see for yourself.

I was with you on most of this. I agree that when the emissions crap required for '08 and newer is on (stock vs. stock), the 6.7 is good platform is better and I would trust it more than a 6.4 with the emissions crap on, BUT a 6.7 is not going to be anywhere close in Hp/Tq to a deleted 6.4.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
With
all due respect...where are these failures/reports?

I'm not arguing that there are not weak points in the 6.7L, but, in a stock configuration, where are the failures?

Unless your living under a rock they are everywhere. Look around the Internet, there are stock trucks chunking rods, turbo failures, shatered or dropped valves, plastic intakes exploding under boost. In my personal experiance I have only seen the rod issue, but look around its not hard to find.

As to two of your earlier statements, ford should beef the rods up. When you have trucks craping out rods in stock form that's a problem.

And I don't know where your getting your info on for the 6.7 vs 6.4 tuned/deleted power levels because the 6.7 comes no where close to the 6.4.

Powerstrokeracing

Reaction score
Unless your living under a rock they are everywhere. Look around the Internet, there are stock trucks chunking rods, turbo failures, shatered or dropped valves, plastic intakes exploding under boost. In my personal experiance I have only seen the rod issue, but look around its not hard to find.

As to two of your earlier statements, ford should beef the rods up. When you have trucks craping out rods in stock form that's a problem.

And I don't know where your getting your info on for the 6.7 vs 6.4 tuned/deleted power levels because the 6.7 comes no where close to the 6.4.

Honestly, I've worked at a dealer since the trucks came out, and have several buddies in different state I went to school with that work on them, and the only thing I've ever seen or heard of in there is a turbo failure. The C&C dropped valves that's it. I've never ever heard or seen any problems with Rods, intakes, anything of that nature. The warranty claims are WAY down since the 6.4 went away. I like both but there's nothing wrong with a 6.7.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Honestly, I've worked at a dealer since the trucks came out, and have several buddies in different state I went to school with that work on them, and the only thing I've ever seen or heard of in there is a turbo failure. The C&C dropped valves that's it. I've never ever heard or seen any problems with Rods, intakes, anything of that nature. The warranty claims are WAY down since the 6.4 went away. I like both but there's nothing wrong with a 6.7.

Look around on the forums and the internet in general, plenty of stories and reports of it. The valve issue is not isolated to the C&C trucks either and neither is the turbo issue.

Powerstrokeracing

Reaction score
Look around on the forums and the internet in general, plenty of stories and reports of it. The valve issue is not isolated to the C&C trucks either and neither is the turbo issue.

I'm in real life, see them every day, you can find anything on the Internet, you should see the horror stories on 6.4's I see all the time.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.