6.7 Twin Turbo Setup

Dan

Reaction score
I'll be looking to have 2 45* 2 90 and then whatever you wanna call the three outlet pipes! Hahaha

Not nessicarily a big concern but you have spiked my interest to do some testing!

Thanks Wayne!

Jbenso127

Reaction score
yea one more good reason to not like them.. :D In that picture I could count 5 to.. That is a poor design. Very easy to install and clean but for flow, poor design. As the air leaves the smaller pipe and enters the big pipe, That in itself will help make the expand to the outside then swirl towards each other in the middle and cause loss of flow. Then as it doing that it hits the "Y" pipe and really messes up the flow path. I could see it taking the already swirling air and speeding up the swirl when it hits the "Y" pipe. Air that swirls will slow down the air behind it and will cause a restriction. That "Y" pipe looks like it meant to swirl the air. If you put a Aero Turbine muffler in each side it would help it a lot. Would help "suck" the air out and smooth air flow back out plus make it quieter.

That make a trucks exhaust look nice and smooth!

Poor design or not.. I was just showing where the "5 bends" may have came from lol.

I have a single stack on mine, only have one 90. Goes up and out!

Lol same here... Singles ftw!

Wayne

Reaction score
also keep in mind that the further you have to push the exhaust, the greater back pressure you will have, especially when it comes to bends. An example might be my 6.4 vs. JD's. he has a 5" exhaust, which goes from 4-5 after the trans cross member. mine is 4 all the way back. I plan on doing a similar 5" system on my 6.4 excursion conversion to reduce the back pressure as it goes over the rear axle, and out the side of the vehicle. After seeing the velocity of my truck's exhaust on the dyno, I'm convinced it will be better in the power department going this way. On VGT turbos, a little back pressure is a good thing after the turbo(s) to help stabilize the control ring inside the turbine housing. On big power trucks, it almost seems like you want to do whatever you can to reduce back pressure. One example of this might be when I stopped in at the bully dog HQ for some stuff back in '07 when one of the employees had is truck ('05ish cummins) on the dyno. He just switched back from dual 7" bed stacks (5" bends) to a single 5" out the back. His peak power went from about 670 to @820 rwhp with just the exhaust change. The power curves were near identical until about 2600 rpms when the stack setup began to fall off. The reason he suspected was turbulence/back pressure in the 3 different 90* stack bends.

I figured it was a bit wild too until I got the guy to show me the dyno graphs from earlier that day. At the higher velocity/cfm/HP, the turbulence caused a lot of restriction though. 5 sharp 90* bends added a lot of extra turbulence to the mix. It would have been interesting to throw a pressure gauge after the turbo with before & after results to see how it worked out.
:slap::doh: self slap on that one. ^^^ 5 would be the correct answer. To you who doubt my claims, I'm just passing on info the way I saw it. It makes sense to me as well. Tight 90's vs. longer radiused ones probably make a big difference too. Let's just call it speculation then since I don't feel a need to prove it. If any of you care to do some testing in this, great. Go for it, but I don't care enough about it to worry. Carry on :D

Dan

Reaction score
Hi guys!
Some food for thought:
D8D2DC65-8977-4BF4-93C9-2118E9F92F6A_zpsu2ginzpn.jpg

Dan

Reaction score
Really can't wait to get my engine from tadd!

I'm one of the most inpatient people around, but this whole project is teaching me some!!

Wayne

Reaction score
*posted 12/10/13
We are over halfway on the promised date for the elite engine as well so I'm super pumped to get that engine in just 4 short weeks!! It's going to come fast!! My agreement was half down and 8 weeks from the time of down deposit (nov8) till engine would be shipped, and at week 4 I squared up completely for my engine so that funds wouldn't be an issue at all!! and I I'm counting on the folks over at elite to make this all work here, as timeline just became way important! Ahhaha I'm really looking forward to that engine beginning of the new year! :)

...This being said, James contacted tadd about time frame on the trans and it was expected to be done at the same time as the engine.. But tadd is being a sweetheart and going to pump out the trans ASAP and ship to custom auto and was very straight forward that in doing so the engine might take a week longer than expected which is totally acceptable!

Really can't wait to get my engine from tadd!

I'm one of the most inpatient people around, but this whole project is teaching me some!!

Thought they promised it last monthLOL
I figured based off of these posts about 5 weeks from Dec. 10th you'd have both the engine and trans. Did you dramatically change your build plans? That's a pretty big time frame setback.

TXGLASSMAN

Reaction score
Dan I have a 09 rear dually axle and I have the front hub adapters as well if your wanting to go to a daully

I keep wanting to do it and then I keep thinking just go buy one and get it over with lol

Dan

Reaction score
*posted 12/10/13

I figured based off of these posts about 5 weeks from Dec. 10th you'd have both the engine and trans. Did you dramatically change your build plans? That's a pretty big time frame setback.

No dramatic changes at all, when I had talked to tadd initially about the build I had asked about porting the heads, he let me know that he was working on it and would let me know flow rates, price etc etc as soon as possible, so beginning of December he let me know what I had asked about and told me that if I added it on it wouldn't affect the date of being shipped... So I did.

The part that was going to set us back a "week or two tops" was custom auto was looking for the trans as soon as possible so it could be in place so fabbing up the turbos could be accomplished.

The completed trans was to be shipped before Christmas, but instead tadd was kinda enough to ship a 6r case, which I totally gets the job done!

Anyways I was told 8 weeks from the time I had half down (nov 8) and adding in the couple weeks extra for needing the trans as soon as possible 10 weeks puts us at Jan 17... And I have been told that tadd is currently waiting for parts from coaters

I have let him know that I need my engine & trans at the end of Febuary otherwise I'll be using the Confederate Diesel engine. I need my rig back up and running so I can get my setup dialed in!

He said there was no way that he cannot make that happen, so I'm not so patiently waiting!

Anyways, I hope he pulls through, I'm still optimistic!

Dan

Reaction score
Look out for that PCM connector next to the intermediate pipe

They'll get ya every time!! Haha but seriously that's an optial illusion, there's lots of room, and for extra protection ceramic coating and heat wrap! ;)

Are those the manifolds from the previous setup?

Nope :) those are MPD pieces!

Dan I have a 09 rear dually axle and I have the front hub adapters as well if your wanting to go to a daully

I keep wanting to do it and then I keep thinking just go buy one and get it over with lol

Considered going the dually route, but for now I'm going to stick with single rear wheel, I'm looking for a Dana 80 for strength, and later down the road will look into an American Force rim/ tire setup! I think that'll be awesome!

Is the lp charger partially mounted to the egr delete plate?

Yeah

MorganY

Reaction score
They'll get ya every time!! Haha but seriously that's an optial illusion, there's lots of room, and for extra protection ceramic coating and heat wrap! ;)

Considered going the dually route, but for now I'm going to stick with single rear wheel, I'm looking for a Dana 80 for strength, and later down the road will look into an American Force rim/ tire setup! I think that'll be awesome!

Yeah

Ya I actually thought about that once I posted lol. Good deal.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score

Yeah

Good deal, Dan!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.