6.7 Twin Turbo Setup

MorganY

Reaction score
All I've got to say is 100-200 degree liquid can only cool to within 10-20 degrees ABOVE it's own temperature. Soo--- I think you can see where I'm going from here.

Not usually one to disagree with you, but Im going to disagree with this. The coolant to the intercooler in the secondary system never reaches 200. The secondary system is regulated in two stages. The intercooler sees the coldest stage just over 100 degrees. The charge temp is substantially higher making it very efficient. Air is not a better fluid for heat transfer, in this case, removal. Most engineering applications today use air as an insulator.

The intercooler was not the problem

Good luck to those involved. Where is the truck going now?

Last edited:

SPE

Reaction score
Not usually one to disagree with you, but Im going to disagree with this. The coolant to the intercooler in the secondary system never reaches 200. The secondary system is regulated in two stages. The intercooler sees the coldest stage just over 100 degrees. The charge temp is substantially higher making it very efficient. Air is not a better fluid for heat transfer, in this case, removal. Most engineering applications today use air as an insulator.

It was half filled with hard block too. Unfortunately that didn't help anything.
-Amy

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Honestly the intercooler is working very well imo. 800 degree inlet temps, 200 degree outlet temp. A 600 degree drop is pretty freakin great!

I heard it's puffing out the oil fill cap so it most likely has a melted piston.

thats really good then if thats what the inlet temps are, im just used to stock intercooler 6.4s running like 120 on a hot ass day

MorganY

Reaction score
It was half filled with hard block too. Unfortunately that didn't help anything.
-Amy

So is Kalebs, but I have the cooling system set up correctly to distribute the heat load between system. Water is the most efficient means of cooling charge temps.

If it is a melted piston, I would eliminate the block fill as a concern. You guys have to understand this could be fuel and high egt related too. Kalebs 60's are an insane amount of fuel, and will peg 1600 degrees if I am in it long enough. I can't imagine how hot things get with leaks, big turbos, and tons of fuel.

SPE

Reaction score
So is Kalebs, but I have the cooling system set up correctly to distribute the heat load between system. Water is the most efficient means of cooling charge temps.

If it is a melted piston, I would eliminate the block fill as a concern. You guys have to understand this could be fuel and high egt related too. Kalebs 60's are an insane amount of fuel, and will peg 1600 degrees if I am in it long enough. I can't imagine how hot things get with leaks, big turbos, and tons of fuel.

It's a partial fill, not half filled. Same as the other motor Tadd built that sees Texas heat daily and has no more heat that my stock 6.7.

My apologizes. We were misinformed. Regardless I still hope you get things figured out & it's not catastrophic.
-Amy

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
-Amy

doesnt matter if it is half filled, the temps still climb slowly, they dont rocket out of control in one pull. having owned a 1/2 filled block in the past i can attest to this.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about you luck man. I would be just sick!!!! Have you thought about slapping the CFD motor back in and running it while the other one gets fixed back up? At least you would have a truck!

SPE

Reaction score
doesnt matter if it is half filled, the temps still climb slowly, they dont rocket out of control in one pull. having owned a 1/2 filled block in the past i can attest to this.

We were told it was a long stretch of pulls on, etc. What was told to us lead us to believe the intercooler wasn't the only factor playing into the situation. May not have been accurate, just what was told to us. Regardless tho, we (I'll speak for everyone at SPE) wish Dan the best with his build & hope he can get the truck on the road as quickly, painlessly, & inexpensively as possible.

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
The other engine was traded in to Elite, Dan no longer owns it.

As far as the engine failure, it most likely has a hurt piston. It does the locomotive puff out the crankcase fill. The truck was in the 2300 pw tune, that tune only made 12 hp more than 2000 pw but got way hotter and smoked like crazy, obviously way too much fuel for Colorado air. Dan says egts were 1800+. Been there done that, life moves on.

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
We were told it was a long stretch of pulls on, etc.

Combine back to back runs a with a partially filled block, a water cooled turbo, a missing fan shroud, and 1800+ plus egt's. Hmm......what else was going to happen.

Reaction score

Sorry but I am going to have to offer a rebuttal.

The fact that water transfers heat better than air is nothing new.

The air to water to air system uses air to cool air, with water as a medium between a the two. Ford went to this system to be able to regulate intake air temps better. Obviously there is no way at all to regulate a standard air to air intake temp.

You have the ability to transfer less heat because it is going from an air cooler, cooling a liquid (at a higher temp than the air, because the air cannot cool less than its own temp), then the liquid cools the charge air (to a temp that's higher than its own because it cannot physically cool less). Therefore you have the loss of heat transfer through an extra medium. The middleman alway takes his cut, if that makes sense. Throw in the heat soak from the added coolant capacity and lines and other various parts that warm up and stay hot. Then add it the heat from the trans and fuel system. There is no possible way that this system can work overall at a lower temp than a properly sized air to air at the same ambient temp.

I understand that the intercooler gets the priority of the cooler fluid. But it still doesn't matter, there are too many heat loads and heat soaked elements to ever out perform a standard air to air.

This is far from even being close to compared to a water to air that uses supercooled water (ice water) as a fluid medium to transfer heat.

Air to water to air (6.7) cooler systems have two distinct advantages; 1- they have the ability to regulate the intake temperature by a thermostatic valve, 2- they are smaller and can be made to also incorporate the cooling system for trans and fuel system.

However, a properly sized "air to water to air" system cannot physically ever out perform a properly sized air to air cooler in the real world for WOT charge air temps over a sustained duration.

And fwiw 200* is very toasty, but that usually comes with 1800-2000 deg EGT's.

Remember, as a rule of thumb on a turbocharged Diesel engine, for every one degree you cool the intake air temp your will drop the egt by 3 degrees.

That is why the 6.7 after cooler system is not the best suited for an all out performance situation like dan's was being used in.

Most people do not need or will ever have to care. But most times simplicity always wins.

Last edited:

4EverBoosted1

Reaction score
egequ9y2.jpg

Latest posts

Members online