7.3 headers....

OSCS

Reaction score
You sir do not understand the costs associated with design, manufacturing, fixture, etc... to make a set of these headers in a production environment. I will guarantee they are not a 500% markup. I would even go so far as to say that I bet that DI makes marginal profit on these. Steed Speed themselves probably make more profit - but they are manufactured in house cutting out a middle man - but even then its not a 500% markup when you figure in the value of the machine time and fixtures used to create these things.

500% markup was a dramatic number I will agree but I think you are over estimating the time and money it takes to build a set. After three or 4 sets with bends and flow data logged it becomes a production line. There isn't a big difference between 7.3 headers or any other headers for that matter. It's simply a small market and few people makin them

OSCS

Reaction score
I will agree about ample R&D needed to design a set. The few sets I've had the opportunity to help build and design for various vehicles have defenitly been challenging but after 3 or 4 times of building the same set it becomes very dueable. Although I have only been apart of 4cyl I6 and v6 builds so I'm far from an expert

Last edited:

powerstrokenstang

Reaction score
Stainless is not real cheap either. Lol does not last for that matter. I have never seen a stainless header on a tractor and they dont have them cracking every 2 hooks.

ChunderDownUnder

Reaction score
off topic here but do all your engines over there have the cast section sticking out the side for the engine mounts (02BigD - pics)

TARM

Reaction score
That is what being the country who's currency is the world's reserve currency for oil trade etc.... If when we ever loose that you will see just what you were missing out on in cost of any and everything that gets imported which these days is just about everything thats manf.

ChunderDownUnder

Reaction score
That is what being the country who's currency is the world's reserve currency for oil trade etc.... If when we ever loose that you will see just what you were missing out on in cost of any and everything that gets imported which these days is just about everything thats manf.

these are a changing times bruva

TARM

Reaction score
Yep and most have no clue.... Its amazing what history can show you about the future...... Hint to those that do not know and actually care to go look at what reserve currency means and what the effect was on the country and the first to be the reserve currency when they lost it to the US Dollar.

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
I know when my motor comes out I will be trying to make my own set of manifolds/headers.. Haven't decided on stainless or mild steel..

OSCS

Reaction score
I guess that's not a bad price. Good thing I am a CNC programmer for a fab shop... That's just one more goodie to add to my personal cutting list. Now I just need a mock up engine.:doh:

Yeah I was surprised they showed the dims.. I'm in cypress an have a spare motor on the stand and spare manifolds :poke:

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Yeah I was surprised they showed the dims.. I'm in cypress an have a spare motor on the stand and spare manifolds :poke:

Its not like they gave you enough information to build the flange - just enough to confirm that it would fit your application.

OSCS

Reaction score
With those measurements you can make a flange.. Will it look exactly like that one.. No but it doesn't have to.