7.3 intermitent engine shake

Yerkie

Reaction score
Also the passenger side bank was ranging from 187.1° to 195°. I'm very tight on money right this second and will be replacing whatever is wrong but, I thought if it was an injector going bad/weak the manifold would read significantly less then the rest?

Last edited:

David N

Reaction score
Have you checked the harnesses? It could be something simple like the harness connector has slid down into the valve cover causing a loose connection. Pull the valve covers and take a look at the connectors. They are known for sliding down and causing this.

And also, you can ohm the harness out from the IDM connector. Here is some good reading: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1308505-uvch-idm-42-pin-dtc-reference-material.html

Yerkie

Reaction score
Ok I'm gonna try to pick up a meter for the connector to the IDM today but, that's good cause I'm starting to think it's the uvch on the passenger side cause all cylinders are very close in temp just that whole side is cooler then the driver side bank

Yerkie

Reaction score
Have you checked the harnesses? It could be something simple like the harness connector has slid down into the valve cover causing a loose connection. Pull the valve covers and take a look at the connectors. They are known for sliding down and causing this.

And also, you can ohm the harness out from the IDM connector. Here is some good reading: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1308505-uvch-idm-42-pin-dtc-reference-material.html

I picked up a multi-meter and once I figure out how to use it lol i'm gonna read those two uvch plugged that were shown

Yerkie

Reaction score

Now I have read the temps off of all the cylinders again to compare and the passenger side bank is cooler then the drivers side bank but, also cylinder 1 and 2 are about 15-20° colder then then rest. Is that a significant enough difference to cause suspicion of one of those injectors being weak/bad harness wires?

Yerkie

Reaction score
Ok so I just got done pulling off the suspect passenger side valve cover and all 4 injectors were running good o-rings were also good oil was coming out the spout that it's supposed too. I ran the truck and unplugged each injector and they all made a significant difference to the engine. I replaced the uvch with a Dorman because the last two plugs closest to the front of the truck were corroded. This the truck seems to run the same as it did.

I'm going to hit the other side another day when I have time but, from what I've read I think maybe my ipr/ipr orings are going bad.

Any more input would be helpful thanks everybody

Yerkie

Reaction score
At this point it's to late me but, after taking the original one out it's easy to change if I get any problems. I'm hitting the driver side one this Friday to see what's going on but, does anyone think this issue could be related with a bad ipr/ipr orings? Cause the driver side manifolds read closer in temp then the passenger and the passenger side was perfectly fine....

444getsitdone

Reaction score
The connectors going into the UVCH too, test or just replace them. good way to test the whole wiring from IDM on http://www.gbreman.com/techbulletin_103.html Two days ago I found out mine was running rough because my passenger side Connector was bad, had anywhere from 8 to 50 OHMs of resistance through all four injectors on the passenger side bank!! Half my blasted engine is not running as it should :morons: I'm kinda pissed I never tried the test before... it doesn't take very long and you'll know that the wiring is good (or bad) all the way from A to B. (in theory at least ;) )

Yerkie

Reaction score
Ok so I pulled the drivers side uvch and it looked better then the passenger side I didn't see any noticeable injector oring leaking unplugged each injector while it was running all made a significant difference to the motor I replaced the uvch on the drivers side just as preventive maintenance.

One thing I did notice was the four injectors on the drivers side the usual yellowish colored solenoid top but also a thin chrome metal plate on top of them. Like I said they all seemed to be running just fine but the passenger side injector solenoid was just that yellowish top.

Anyways I'm stumped now I dont know what else to try any ideas?

Yerkie

Reaction score
Ok update I have taken both valve covers off and replaced the uvchs as preventive maintenance. I ran thetruck and unplugged each injector and every one made the engine stumble about the same amount. No injector orings were leaking either.

So now I am stumped on what it could be any ideas? This shake/slight stumble is getting annoying and I do feel like it is losing power a little only at certain times.

Any help is appreciated about this

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Ok update I have taken both valve covers off and replaced the uvchs as preventive maintenance. I ran thetruck and unplugged each injector and every one made the engine stumble about the same amount. No injector orings were leaking either.

So now I am stumped on what it could be any ideas? This shake/slight stumble is getting annoying and I do feel like it is losing power a little only at certain times.

Any help is appreciated about this
GET IT ON A SCANNER!!! its a crap shoot when diagnosing a 7.3s electrical issues.. take it to someone who knows more about it.. or we can tell you to just start throwing parts at it in hopes that it works...

cam gear could be playing wack-a-mole with the cps too... dont ask me how i know.. similar issues i had once and hope to god never again!

live life full throttle

Arisley

Reaction score
Now you are going to have him tearing apart the front of his motor to check out his cam gear.

Scanner.

If you are going to work on your own 7.3, you need a good scanner\diagnostic tool.
I recommend AE.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Now you are going to have him tearing apart the front of his motor to check out his cam gear.

Scanner.

If you are going to work on your own 7.3, you need a good scanner\diagnostic tool.
I recommend AE.

Not without pulling the oilpan...

02BigD

Reaction score
Not without pulling the oilpan...

Afternoon mini project?

It amazes me, years go by, different forums, and it's still heck to get some people to hook the dang truck to a scanner...just throw parts at em. Figure it out sooner or later...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.