7.3 intermitent engine shake

Yerkie

Reaction score
I dont think they ran a cct test but all im running is a ts chip 6 pos and air intake but other then that its stock i would like to switch the injectors around but i dont have the money to keep running the tests. Its makes me wonder why injector #5 would be bad in the first place? out of all of them i would like to get some stage 1s or stage 2s in the future but that wont be for a little while.

It seems like im gonna be getting in the passenger side again. Does anybody know of a good company for injectors thats not like $300ea plus $150 core charge?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I dont think they ran a cct test but all im running is a ts chip 6 pos and air intake but other then that its stock i would like to switch the injectors around but i dont have the money to keep running the tests. Its makes me wonder why injector #5 would be bad in the first place? out of all of them i would like to get some stage 1s or stage 2s in the future but that wont be for a little while.

It seems like im gonna be getting in the passenger side again. Does anybody know of a good company for injectors thats not like $300ea plus $150 core charge?
dude, go the cheap route and get a obd bluetooth adapter and use your smartphone as a scanner like j-cain said before.. also, before you go and start swapping stuff or tearing into it again, try switching tunes and run the cct or balance test as they called it and see if #5 stays consistent in every tume you have on that ts chip.. id do that first and foremost!!!

live life full throttle

Yerkie

Reaction score
I would like to get one of those i saw a youtube video with a guy running a buzz test it would be cool to have do you guys know which one specifically that's compatible and do you need a pc with a disk drive?

Going back to the injectors if worse comes to worse I was wondering about AutoZone duralast injectors not that I prefer AutoZone over my Napa but Napa wants about $320+165/185 core charge for remans...duralast is under $200

Cause I would like to cash and carry instead of waiting for shipping/rebates and what not

Yerkie

Reaction score
With rosewood injectors can I just order one? I had already checked their website and that's probably gonna be what I use once I upgrade all of them later down the road.

the only descent deal on just one that I could find was the duralast that way I can do the whole process same day but, I can't find any reviews on the quality.

I know AZ isn't the greatest place but, I have been surprised by some of their duralast products

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
im sure you could call fullforce, swamps or pis and get one injector if that is in fact the issue.. id still try switching tunes and doing another balance test to see if its consistent. thats the easiest. or do the ole switcharoo with a injector beside it and see if it fallows first.

live life full throttle

TyCorr

Reaction score
Or setup something so you can send the set of injectors in.

By the time you change one, another one goes tits up.

Yerkie

Reaction score
Can you give me some of the info on that Bluetooth adapter to run tests on the truck? That would be cool to just run tests when ever.

I've been looking for the Bluetooth piecebut I don't want to buy the wrong one :/

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Can you give me some of the info on that Bluetooth adapter to run tests on the truck? That would be cool to just run tests when ever.

I've been looking for the Bluetooth piecebut I don't want to buy the wrong one :/
get ahold of j-cain. he has the stuff that works. myabe mine does but i haven't tried the cargauge pro yet.. as i have a fancy OTC scanner for my 7.3s..

live life full throttle

Yerkie

Reaction score
Ok I tell you though nobody ever answered my question on a duralast injector with quality? if it comes down to it

ja_cain

Reaction score
This is the ODB2 reader I have been using for a couple years now with good results. I have used it with both Torque Pro and Cargauge Pro. Cargauge Pro can be a little finicky but if you are patient it should work.

http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products...pebp=1436039848765&perid=107T799AZHGQTV5WT0E3

Here are the instruction for doing KOEO and KOER tests like buzz test and CCT using Cargauge Pro quoted from a thread on TDS.

"- To get it started you have to press the little plug button at the top of the screen.
- Select Ford as the vehicle make.
- Select Powertrain (the first one)
- Select Scan All when it says Select System Type (Ford)
- Select Full Auto Scan (All Pids)
- Choose your device/dongle/ELM
- Allow it to connect
- It will say Available ECU - mine said 10, I just picked it as it was the only option
- Wait for it to scan all the PIDS (and yes, do like I did and think about the battery, fuel pump priming, glow plugs glowing, etc. annoyingly while you wait)
- It will then ask you to save the PID list, just give it a name
- Now, from the Car Gauge home screen press the "settings" button in the top right (three little squares)
- Select OBD Menu
- Select Self Test
- Now select Fan, Outputs, Injector, Glow Plug, CCT, etc.

I tried the Key On Engine Running test and all it did was jump the idle around, make it misfire/run rough, and resulted in a P1000 (no ready). After this experience I didn't do any other tests besides the Buzz and CCT. I had heard about some dongles/apps messing with the ECU programming so I opted not to tempt fate.

I tried saving the PID profile but it never seems to work - gotta run through the entire process above each time you want to "run" the app.

Tinman - I'm not using a traditional scanner. I have a OBD II bluetooth Dongle (PLX Kiwi) and use one of two apps on my phone: Car Gauge pro as described above and Torque Pro. Car Gauge Pro is a PITA to use but does perform a buzz test and CCT. Torque is much more user friendly and gives you many more options/gauges/etc.

I would love to have AE but its a little out of my price range and I expect I would have bought it just to realize I have no idea how to use it. And, driving around with a laptop sliding around seemed like it would be an annoyance.

The PLX Kiwi dongle was $50 on ebay (on sale it seemed) and the apps were about $6. I used a spare 10 ft micro USB cable and picked up an auxiliary 12v outlet that had two USB ports on it (in addition to the traditional cig plug) for $10. I provided power to the 12v outlet with an ATM Add A Fuse powered off of a switched fuse in the underdash fuse panel/PTC or whatever the "just under the dash, no underhood" panel is called. I mounted the aux power under the steering column and ran the USB cable up the A-pillar, along the windshield under the headliner board to where the rear view mirror is. I used a flexible neck cell phone mount/holder and have it holding an old Android phone above the rear view mirror. Torque Pro has the option to "sleep" the phone when the OBDII adapter is not detected or the phone doesn't have power. I just leave the phone in the mount and it turns itself on and off with the ignition. I do have to manually turn off the Kiwi Dongle but its a small inconvenience. The nice thing about the Kiwi is that it has a physical on/off switch - other dongles you have to unplug.

Overall its definitely a budget setup but it was WAY less than a set of gauges, less than AE, can read pretty much any engine parameter from the PCM and also reads codes. You can have any number of gauges but I monitor Boost, EBP, EOT, Trans Fluid temp, HPOP pressure and IPR duty cycle with traditional looking gauges. In between the gauges I have digital "number" read outs for Engine Load, Throttle Position, Battery Voltage, IAT and TC slip. Running so many gauges makes it update a little slow (dongle can only handle so much and it is an older/slower phone) but it updates about 2x a second which is fine by my expectations. If I run just one gauge its about 13x a second.

Another nice thing about Torque Pro is that you can set alarms that will flash the gauges and also give an audible alarm if something exceeds the value you programmed."

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Is it possible to run a balance test with this system?
when you say balance test, do you mean rotational velocity or cylinder contribution test? some places consider the cct a balance test or a rotational velocity to be a balance test... some scanners actually can do an injector balance test. but most dont have those..

live life full throttle

Yerkie

Reaction score
I guess it would be a cylinder velocity test? I think something to watch all injectors/cylinders and the % they are in relation (for example cylinder 8 at a peak of 2% while cylinder peaks at only .7%)

Latest posts

Members online