7.3 intermitent engine shake

JD3020

Reaction score
Especially with how cheap scanners are now days, hell you can turn your smartphone into a scanner for $30. 0 reason to not own a scantool of some sorts.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Especially with how cheap scanners are now days, hell you can turn your smartphone into a scanner for $30. 0 reason to not own a scantool of some sorts.
only thing is with the smartphone that i found with the torque app is that you have to have a higher end obd adapter.. which i think is 80 to 90 bucks for a good one cuz the cheap one i have wont link up to my 7.3s. but works just fine on my 6.7... but still the adapter and a 5 dollar app is well well worth it!!!

live life full throttle

ja_cain

Reaction score
only thing is with the smartphone that i found with the torque app is that you have to have a higher end obd adapter.. which i think is 80 to 90 bucks for a good one cuz the cheap one i have wont link up to my 7.3s. but works just fine on my 6.7... but still the adapter and a 5 dollar app is well well worth it!!!

live life full throttle
I can do cylinder contribution and buzz test with the $20 dollop adapter I but off Amazon. Cargauge pro is the app you want. I'll post up the instructions from another forum/thread when I have a chance. Used it to figure out my harness was shorting out on the valve cover. It isn't the most intuitive piece of software, but once you get the hang of it, it can be quit useful.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I can do cylinder contribution and buzz test with the $20 dollop adapter I but off Amazon. Cargauge pro is the app you want. I'll post up the instructions from another forum/thread when I have a chance. Used it to figure out my harness was shorting out on the valve cover. It isn't the most intuitive piece of software, but once you get the hang of it, it can be quit useful.
sweet

live life full throttle

Yerkie

Reaction score
Yeah I know at this point I have to plug it up. I wanted to take a look for myself at the uvch and replace just as preventive maintenance later down the road. Now I just need the time to take it to someone I'll probably take it to the people I bought it from

Yerkie

Reaction score
Yeah I'm gonna take it in Wednesday to do a compression test and plug it up to the computer again to try to find anything out of wack. Last time I had it plugged up nothing was coming up wrong. As for the uvchs I just wanted to replace them as preventive maintenance later down the road.

I just hope I can find out what's going on cause it's just annoying and feels like it's slightly down on power

Yerkie

Reaction score
Ok so i had the truck in the shop and they ran balance test , contribution test and checked for codes and the icp/ipr duty cycle. What they found was on the balance test cylinders #5 and #8 failed at 2.0-2% if that sounds right and the duty cycle for the icp was 10%.

I talked with the guy and he mentioned running an oil rail pipe connectly the both oil rails to help the oil pressure run more consist on both sides. Also replacing the ipr to see if it was getting hung up whdn the engine got to temp.
Finally replacing injector #5 to see if the problem goes away.

What do you guys think any other opinions are welcome? Thanks!

Yerkie

Reaction score
I posted in the other thread i got going but i had the truck scanned, contribution test and balance tested.

Icp/ipr duty cycle was 10% but cylinder #5 and #8 failed the balance test they were coming up 2.0-2% if that makes sense.

Now i debating on running a oil rail pipe across the top, or replacing the ipr or injector #5.

What do you all think?

Yerkie

Reaction score
To be honest thats what im thinking to hit the injectors first i just am wondering if the ipr could cause this or would it be visible on all injectors?

Yerkie

Reaction score
Thats what i was thinking for the overall im gonna be a pro at pulling those valve covers off at this point.

One question i had for you guys is if number 5 and 8 injectors are failing the balance test is that a common problem? Like a bad cps says makes 3 & 8 fail sometimes?

TyCorr

Reaction score
It cant hurt to run a balance line but whats really wrong? That in and of itself isnt an issue. Tons of modded trucks with isolated oil rails. No issues. Perhaps sending the whole set of injectors out to be inspected would be better. If you have the injectors isolated.

And you said compression test right? What were those #s?

Yerkie

Reaction score
I wish I was able to send them out but its my one and only daily driver, I never got the numbers off the compression test he just told me that everything was as it should be and nothing different then the other. Im going to I think hit the passenger side bank and take a closer look at #5 cause from what I have hear #8 being the last cylinder usually runs slightly more then the others.

someone correct me if im wrong

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
if number 8 has a LL or AE on it, its prolly not the injector.. they are known to throw off balance and is normal.. is called the cackle injector to make it sound quieter i guess.. what cps are you running? is it bone stock or tuned? if its bone stock then 5 might be bad. if its tuned, try switching tunes to see if 5 still fails.. did they do a cct or a rotational velocity test?

live life full throttle