7.3 internals

7.3forlife

Reaction score
I just want to take in and learn as much as i can and do my best to build a nasty 7.3 haha i want 900hp and i either get it there or blow er up trying!

Black 02

Reaction score
I just want to take in and learn as much as i can and do my best to build a nasty 7.3 haha i want 900hp and i either get it there or blow er up trying!

Just so you know, it's gonna take probably $30k. If you want the engine to last. You could probably make one dyno run with forged rods, but it won't hold together very long.

Lots of 500hp 7.3's. Very few 900 hp 7.3's. Very few.

That kind of horsepower is more suited for a cummin-a-part, but it's true.

Best of luck!

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
I don't think anybody is trying to be a dick. But when you come on with a truck that is stock except for a edge box and want a high powered compound 7.3 and your parts list doesn't include anything like a built bottom end. It's kinda far fetched. My suggestion is go do a lot of research. My suggestion is a 38r, smaller hybrids and all the supporting mods.

I wasn't calling out anyone in particular. I was kind of speculating that maybe the O.P. was a troll and had pissed some people off in a separate thread. Looks like that isn't the case though.
As far as starting with a stock truck, isn't that half the fun? Starting with a blank slate and doing things the way you want? Plenty of guys have made big power on other platforms be it Cummins, D-Max, gas, and are starting fresh to try their hand in the 7.3 world (myself included).
I realize there are only so many combinations for a 7.3 that will reach 900hp (even on the juice), but if the OP makes a serious effort then kudos to him. "Doing research" seems to be the purpose of this thread. Him trying to gather as much information as possible to achieve a goal.
I'd take that any day over someone who asks a question then argues with every answer because "google said so" (insert name here).

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
I'd talk to the JamesStewart guy on here... He did a 1000hp build on his truck a while back and had several pages to read about

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
What makes our bottom ends so week i know guys makeing 650-700hp on stock bottom ends with only studs in 5.9s why cant we do this

cummins have their own problems, not a fair comparison.

i have come to realize that this site is nothing more than a bunch of people that seem know everything and have more money than everyone else. and do nothing but put everyones rigs and ideas down. just my .02 but i feel that some will agree with me. sorry for the derail.

I agree with this. A bunch of put downs on here.

I wasn't calling out anyone in particular. I was kind of speculating that maybe the O.P. was a troll and had pissed some people off in a separate thread. Looks like that isn't the case though.
As far as starting with a stock truck, isn't that half the fun? Starting with a blank slate and doing things the way you want? Plenty of guys have made big power on other platforms be it Cummins, D-Max, gas, and are starting fresh to try their hand in the 7.3 world (myself included).
I realize there are only so many combinations for a 7.3 that will reach 900hp (even on the juice), but if the OP makes a serious effort then kudos to him. "Doing research" seems to be the purpose of this thread. Him trying to gather as much information as possible to achieve a goal.
I'd take that any day over someone who asks a question then argues with every answer because "google said so" (insert name here).

Hmm. I'm seeing a lot contradictory statements and hypocritical people on here. First you guys say "search search search!!", but then when people do search, then they are "google heads" and aren't smart.

so which is it? Lets try to stay consistent here, nobody likes a guy with his head so far up his ass he doesn't remember his previous statements.

OP, I think you've got a great looking truck and I'd build it up too. So whats the plan so far?

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I think everyone needs to step back away from the keyboard. Everyone is new at some point - everyone has something to learn no matter how many years you've been doing it - or how experienced you might be.

This group "kill the inexperienced noob" mentality needs to stop. The guy is asking questions - just answer them to the best of your ability. Noobs also need to learn a little bit on how to state their wants, goals, desires, and what it means to be "currently working" on something.

To the guys that think this is such an evil hypocritical place where everyone puts others down and is flushed with cash - you are free to leave at any time - no one is twisting your arm to be here. You are here because this is the highest concentration of true PSD performance knowledge on the web. This place is built by the been there, done that Alpha males that have actually done or at least been part of many of the things that some people might consider "new and innovative" even though it was more than likely done without the internet flair months if not YEARS before the noobs ever made their first post.

I see problems on both sides - and the noobs and the vets need to learn to deal with each other.

To the OP: You don't need or want to run that heavy truck at 900HP on the bottle at the track - you'll never be happy with the amount of headache that you will have given yourself. 500-550hp on fuel with compounds on a stock bottom end will be awesome with the right combo of parts and tuning and you can enjoy it - even have a true 400-420rwhp tow tune if feel like upgrading everything in the drive line to be able to actually use it on a regular basis without melting your chit down.

Oh - and I might know a little bit about upgraded 7.3 internals.
2583236950088936788mpcsOR_fs.jpg

2616004580088936788FdRGVL_fs.jpg

2121602870088936788UGoWwo_fs.jpg

2854207620088936788yFzjCU_fs.jpg

7.3forlife

Reaction score
Thanks guys i know its goin to be alot of time and money. Honesty if i make 500-550 ill be tinkled pink and if it starts gettin to heave and brakes to much stuff the bed can always come off and a normal box back on. Im not building it to be a drag truck but that said it will get run on the track at friday night drags and will see plenty of dyno time. Nitrous and 900 that is the number im shooting for down the road but not over night this will most likely be a on going prospect for probably years. Oh and just to put this out there i dont believe any ones being a dick. Everyones entitled to there opinions and i am new to this site lol i can take a hit and i dont get offended very easy.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Oh and just to put this out there i dont believe any ones being a dick. Everyones entitled to there opinions and i am new to this site lol i can take a hit and i dont get offended very easy.

Good - you'll make it around here then. Some others aren't quite that lucky. Good luck in your build and meeting your goals. If it were mine and using it that way - I would do set of compounds - probably an S362/72 and an S488/96, some 300/200 sticks, some oil, fuel system, tuning, and all the supporting mods and just let it rock out with a grin on my face.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I think everyone needs to step back away from the keyboard. Everyone is new at some point - everyone has something to learn no matter how many years you've been doing it - or how experienced you might be.

This group "kill the inexperienced noob" mentality needs to stop. The guy is asking questions - just answer them to the best of your ability. Noobs also need to learn a little bit on how to state their wants, goals, desires, and what it means to be "currently working" on something.

To the guys that think this is such an evil hypocritical place where everyone puts others down and is flushed with cash - you are free to leave at any time - no one is twisting your arm to be here. You are here because this is the highest concentration of true PSD performance knowledge on the web. This place is built by the been there, done that Alpha males that have actually done or at least been part of many of the things that some people might consider "new and innovative" even though it was more than likely done without the internet flair months if not YEARS before the noobs ever made their first post.

I see problems on both sides - and the noobs and the vets need to learn to deal with each other.

To the OP: You don't need or want to run that heavy truck at 900HP on the bottle at the track - you'll never be happy with the amount of headache that you will have given yourself. 500-550hp on fuel with compounds on a stock bottom end will be awesome with the right combo of parts and tuning and you can enjoy it - even have a true 400-420rwhp tow tune if feel like upgrading everything in the drive line to be able to actually use it on a regular basis without melting your chit down.

Oh - and I might know a little bit about upgraded 7.3 internals.
2583236950088936788mpcsOR_fs.jpg

2616004580088936788FdRGVL_fs.jpg

2121602870088936788UGoWwo_fs.jpg

2854207620088936788yFzjCU_fs.jpg

great post HRT!!

live life full throttle

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
Hmm. I'm seeing a lot contradictory statements and hypocritical people on here. First you guys say "search search search!!", but then when people do search, then they are "google heads" and aren't smart.

so which is it? Lets try to stay consistent here, nobody likes a guy with his head so far up his ass he doesn't remember his previous statements.

Not sure why I was quoted for this. But if you're insinuating that I have my head up my ass, I've got a size 15 boot that would fit nicely in yours :toast:. Kidding aside, I was trying to stick up for the OP so he could get the info he's looking for. Like HRT said, this site is full of the "been there, done that" people. I'm a nobody, and even I can see that. The knowledge is there, just sometimes have to sift through the b.s. to get it.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Not sure why I was quoted for this. But if you're insinuating that I have my head up my ass, I've got a size 15 boot that would fit nicely in yours :toast:. Kidding aside, I was trying to stick up for the OP so he could get the info he's looking for. Like HRT said, this site is full of the "been there, done that" people. I'm a nobody, and even I can see that. The knowledge is there, just sometimes have to sift through the b.s. to get it.

lol no I wasn't referring to you at all.

I agree there's some BS on here... but have you been on the ORG or Nation lately?

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
lol no I wasn't referring to you at all.

I agree there's some BS on here... but have you been on the ORG or Nation lately?

Classified sections of both. Haven't contributed to either one since I found this site. Too much teenage angst for me.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
^Ya same here. dentex told me to come over, I checked it out, saw all the super intelligent people on here, and haven't looked back.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Them compounds gonna work great with ab's and an edge tuner. Maybe you can break into the 300 horse club

Arent you just coming into the 325hp club ? I remember my first chip too.

No need to bash people. We all have been there, hell my first post asked about what I will see if I remove the foil off my hot IC pipe.

So much hate in the 7.3 world. The funny thing is, the majority of the guys poking fun at the OP are just doing the heavy mods like a gauge cluster.. RELAX

OP, Id agree with the heavy truck comments. Your going to tear things up when you weigh 9k.
I wouldnt gamble with stock rods if you wanna go twins, 400/400s and a 66/88 compound setup has proven itself time again.
900 is gonna cost you a small fortune, what alot of people look over are the small things that add up. Sure you need 25k in hard parts but what about the thousands, hundreds, tens, and pennys spent on fuel to pick up parts, shipping costs, wrong or broken parts, trial and error. Tuning changes misc o-rings and gaskets and tools to do the job etc. Not to mention the hundreds of hours scratching your head or a$$ on why after youve spent thousands the POS still wont fire, idle correctly or fuel past 2k rpm.

Its a long road and if you ask the guys that have done it and they share SOME info with you its only scratching the surface on how long it takes.

However nothing in life is easy and I wouldnt trade what I got for a stocker any day. Good luck too ya.

Build it right the FIRST time, billet rods are a must.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Arent you just coming into the 325hp club ? I remember my first chip too.

No need to bash people. We all have been there, hell my first post asked about what I will see if I remove the foil off my hot IC pipe.

So much hate in the 7.3 world. The funny thing is, the majority of the guys poking fun at the OP are just doing the heavy mods like a gauge cluster.. RELAX

OP, Id agree with the heavy truck comments. Your going to tear things up when you weigh 9k.
I wouldnt gamble with stock rods if you wanna go twins, 400/400s and a 66/88 compound setup has proven itself time again.
900 is gonna cost you a small fortune, what alot of people look over are the small things that add up. Sure you need 25k in hard parts but what about the thousands, hundreds, tens, and pennys spent on fuel to pick up parts, shipping costs, wrong or broken parts, trial and error. Tuning changes misc o-rings and gaskets and tools to do the job etc. Not to mention the hundreds of hours scratching your head or a$$ on why after youve spent thousands the POS still wont fire, idle correctly or fuel past 2k rpm.

Its a long road and if you ask the guys that have done it and they share SOME info with you its only scratching the surface on how long it takes.

However nothing in life is easy and I wouldnt trade what I got for a stocker any day. Good luck too ya.

Build it right the FIRST time, billet rods are a must.

That was touching... and a real eye opener. Your right on all accounts.

Latest posts

Members online