7.3 Turbo talk

PStroked444

Reaction score
I have talked to Wide open Perf and DP-Tuner to ask there opinions on the QSSB. When I compared the QSSB to the 38r they both said they dont compare. They are good for what money you are willing or can invest. The Hypermax kit is the real big money pig. So, if comparing the 38r directly to the QSSB the money spent on the QSSB will be returned in efficency and performance. Just my opinion. :popcorn:

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
The biggest problem with the 38R is the turbine wheel size and flow rate.

I had a QSSB on my red truck when I was street driving it and still learning about modifying these trucks - no complaints about that turbo from me at all - although the Hypermax design using the factory up-pipe donuts, the oil drain design, and the fact its a T4i mounting foot for the turbo are all negatives in my book. While spending all that money on a mount - I personally would go for a T4 mount and open up my turbo options to anything with a T4 foot which is way more common - then you can get new and better turbine designs, more flexibility, off the shelf chargers with better compressor wheels, etc.... just my 2 cents. That being said - all the rest of the Hypermax kit is nothing but top notch high quality parts that I wouldn't hesitate to run again.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Subscribing...

Looking into the S366....opinions from those who have/had it would be appreciated!

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Subscribing...

Looking into the S366....opinions from those who have/had it would be appreciated!

never ran one, but i live near jake and seen the install on a couple trucks. The turbo is a fantastic match for a quick spooling 400ish hp range. It will support more, ive seen a truck dyno 450ish with it...but i think if your planning on going larger than a stage 2 you might as well bump up to a s400 range turbo which Jake also sells.

Regardless of what you get, he will set you up and help you pick out the best turbo your money can buy

ToMang07

Reaction score
never ran one, but i live near jake and seen the install on a couple trucks. The turbo is a fantastic match for a quick spooling 400ish hp range. It will support more, ive seen a truck dyno 450ish with it...but i think if your planning on going larger than a stage 2 you might as well bump up to a s400 range turbo which Jake also sells.

Regardless of what you get, he will set you up and help you pick out the best turbo your money can buy

I thought about the S471 that Jake has, problem is I don't think my stock stick will spool it! :shocked:

When/If I ever get to the point of big sticks, I will probably end up selling the S366 and upgrading... but for now I have too many steps in-between to worry about it, if ya know what I mean. :doh:

TrailerHauler

Reaction score

I thought about the S471 that Jake has, problem is I don't think my stock stick will spool it! :shocked:

When/If I ever get to the point of big sticks, I will probably end up selling the S366 and upgrading... but for now I have too many steps in-between to worry about it, if ya know what I mean. :doh:

Have you looked at an S465? Its between the two turbo's you've looked at, and very nice for a mild 450-500 from what I've seen.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Have you looked at an S465? Its between the two turbo's you've looked at, and very nice for a mild 450-500 from what I've seen.

No, I haven't. Don't really know much about turbos beyond the basics... what's the price/specs on that one?

One of the things pushing me towards the S366 is the price.... after getting the turbo and kit from Jake it's essentially within a couple bills of the 38r and bellowed up-pipes... but the mount and rebuildable turbo are real selling points for me.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
No, I haven't. Don't really know much about turbos beyond the basics... what's the price/specs on that one?

One of the things pushing me towards the S366 is the price.... after getting the turbo and kit from Jake it's essentially within a couple bills of the 38r and bellowed up-pipes... but the mount and rebuildable turbo are real selling points for me.

I think most are a 65mm compressor, 83/74 exhaust, .9 A/R. They are also offered with extended tip wheels.

WIESEL

Reaction score
From what you've read? Lmao I've been in a few trucks with them, yes they work well but IMO its an over priced fix to an easy problem. 38r costs half and will support the same if not a tad more hp. Not to mention the hyper max kit can be a pita sometimes with the oil feed, pos drain tube and they don't offer bellowed up pipes so for the big $ you still have wonderful up pipe donuts.

Some people, certianly have no business with anything other than a drop in. That understandable.

However, if a guy wants to READ and figure out what is the most effecient turbo for his desired power range. He will easily see the QSSB is optimal around 450hp,while still using
it as a truck.

If you want to READ more and, willing to sacrifice some effeciency. You can save a little money.

Hope you enjoyed your laugh on the SHORT BUS,,,,PAL:pimp:

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Some people, certianly have no business with anything other than a drop in. That understandable.

However, if a guy wants to READ and figure out what is the most effecient turbo for his desired power range. He will easily see the QSSB is optimal around 450hp,while still using
it as a truck.

If you want to READ more and, willing to sacrifice some effeciency. You can save a little money.

I think there are other setups out there that are just as efficient as the QSSB for less money. To each their own, the QSSB may work better for some then others but saying its the most efficient for its application is a bold statement.

WIESEL

Reaction score
I think there are other setups out there that are just as efficient as the QSSB for less money. To each their own, the QSSB may work better for some then others but saying its the most efficient for its application is a bold statement.

I very much so agree, bud. I said optimal... Lol

But, comparing a 38r to QSSB!!! Come on!!!

Short Bus

Reaction score

it as a truck.

Lol you have no clue dude.

JDub

Reaction score
Yeah I agree that Short Bus needs to do more research on 7.3L performance before he posts, how dare he insult a WOP turbo.:slap:

I wouldn't go as far as to say it was an insult. Just his opinion.

However, if a guy wants to READ and figure out what is the most effecient turbo for his desired power range. He will easily see the QSSB is optimal around 450hp,while still using it as a truck.

The QSSB was engineered by Pius at Bell Turbo almost ten years ago (long before I was ever around diesels) as a direct replacement to the H2E. The crew at WOP had been using the H2E but was never pleased with the spool-up and low end response at elevation. So Pius developed the QSSB using a stronger turbo that would flow the same amount of air as an H2E, but spool quicker. That turbo worked incredible then and continues to work awesome at that power level. For stock and Stage One injectors it's a solid unit.

With the fueling improvements and power enhancements that have been made over the years, we've somewhat outgrown the QSSB and Pius had to find something new for us to meet the needs of our customers. The GQSSB was brought to market a little over three years ago to fill the gap between the QSSB and the KASB. It has since become our best selling turbo as it offers the same quick response the QSSB does, but offers more airflow, for the 450-500hp crowd. A few have taken it to 530+ range in a daily driver and there are a few using them with stock injectors, with tuning it's very versatile.

We contemplated not selling the QSSB anymore, but for the 325-400 crowd it's a great turbo and can be built for less money than the GQSSB, as there is less machine work involved and the compressor wheel is cheaper, so for that reason we still offer it.

WOP has always used the Hypermax mounting system as it's a nice product, they fit nice and come as a complete package to make for the easiest install, as so, we will continue to offer our turbos with this system. Some like it, some don't. To each their own...

On a side note - ShortBus knows his way around a 7.3L and his opinion shouldn't be brushed off, while I personally don't always agree with him, I bet he's been around the 7.3L performance market longer than 80% of the members on this forum, including me.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
I very much so agree, bud. I said optimal... Lol

But, comparing a 38r to QSSB!!! Come on!!!

Im not really sure why you couldnt compare the two? I think Luke knows a thing or two, from what ive heard he was one of the earlier guys dumb enough to mod a 7.3 haha. He definitely knows his **** with them.

38r and qssb are both 400hp turbos, the 38r has been taken to 500 before, multiple times. I dont beleive many people at all have taken the QSSB that far...

The 38r is ball bearing which whether you like them or dont like them, is fairly tough!
The 38r is a simple bolt in turbo and only $1400.

I dont honestly see why people dont go with drop in's if they are staying at or under 450hp. Both the D66 and 38r will get you there so simply and with much less trouble (other than back pressure issue and possible failures from pushing too hard)

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
Im not really sure why you couldnt compare the two? I think Luke knows a thing or two, from what ive heard he was one of the earlier guys dumb enough to mod a 7.3 haha. He definitely knows his **** with them.

38r and qssb are both 400hp turbos, the 38r has been taken to 500 before, multiple times. I dont beleive many people at all have taken the QSSB that far...

The 38r is ball bearing which whether you like them or dont like them, is fairly tough!
The 38r is a simple bolt in turbo and only $1400.

I dont honestly see why people dont go with drop in's if they are staying at or under 450hp. Both the D66 and 38r will get you there so simply and with much less trouble (other than back pressure issue and possible failures from pushing too hard)

Like said the 38r isn't really rebuildable, plus when you add in bellowed up-pipes, especially for an OBS you are in T4, T4i range. But I look at it more from the OBS perspective since that is what I have. And I wouldn't upgrade without going to bellows.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Like said the 38r isn't really rebuildable, plus when you add in bellowed up-pipes, especially for an OBS you are in T4, T4i range. But I look at it more from the OBS perspective since that is what I have. And I wouldn't upgrade without going to bellows.

Yeah i probably wouldnt either if i had funds to build a truck right now.

I ran the d66 before i went to larger turbos, and quite honestly i loved the D66 with stage 2s. That truck was really really fun to drive. But up-pipe issues and all that jazz kills the deal i suppose

Latest posts

Members online