7.3 Turbo talk

ITUKMOR

Reaction score
The 38r with the right injectors and tuning will make 500hp but it probably won't like it in the long term. If your goal is 500hp I would recommend the modded H2e.

ITUKMOR

Reaction score
What I meant by "not liking it" is this. If you have a turbo capable of 500hp and you push that 500hp with it on a daily basis, it won't survive. However if you take a turbo capable of 550-600 and only push 475-500 that turbo will last an exponentially longer amount of time than the turbo that is pushed to it's limits everyday.

IMO there is no reason that a 500hp truck would not tow well and could be daily driven. If a truck cannot produce that power level and have good driving manners then it is a tuner issue not a mechanical one.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
i ran a 38r for a couple eyars with just shy of 500hp. Was a fun truck to drive, but overall i was limited. I just recently upgraded to a GQSSB from WOP which is good for 500hp+. the truck seems to be much happier. Im with Joe on this, 400-450hp is good for Drop ins, but anything over that, then u should be looking at a modded H2E or GQSSB. You wont regret it, and it is easier to step up bigger later on down the road if you decide to go bigger with injectors, etc

ITUKMOR

Reaction score
The S300 platform has a multitude of sizes. The different combinations of turbine and compressor wheel sizes would make a great choice for most any application. The reason I could see it not working well would be in a towing situation with smaller injectors where you fell off boost. Trying to re-light that size turbo with smaller-ish injectors could be difficult. Pretty much any injector with a 38r is going to perform well due to the spooling characteristics of the BB.

bruce

Reaction score
honestly i wish i would have gone with a t4 t4i style because honestly they are cheaper than a 38r with bellowed up pipes and after you sell your stock stuff you can come out way ahead and it gives you room to grow

DocBar

Reaction score
GTP38R

It would be the best tow turbo you could get for a drop in.
I'm not particularly happy with my 38R at all for towing. I did 3,000 miles pulling my 5th wheel and it was NOT a happy turbo. Besides, the damned noise it makes gets old real fast on ling trips. If I keep it, it's because I threw a pro charger in front of it.

bigjake0524

Reaction score
I don't think that the 366 is a slow charger at all. And doesn't have any issues towing. It comes on pretty close to where a stock turbo does. Nothing major for a slightly larger charger and it flows quite a bit more air than the 38r, and produces less back pressure as well.

If somebody wants a charger they can push hard but want to daily drive it than just run a wastegate. And you can have the best of both. It isnt a competition turbo but is a very good driver turbo that can he used all around.

As far as cost it is a little more than a 38r. Unless you go with bellowed up-pipes and gutted pedestal and all of the other pieces for the drop in than your not saving any money. And the 366 is still on a platform that can be upgraded if you want to go to a larger charger later. So the investment will be better used for future growth than a 38r.

Not sure what the cost is of an H2e kit? And then knowing it doesnt have good flow and will have to be modded on top of it! But there are almost unlimited number of turbos that can be used or built to suit a certain application.

Tom S

Reaction score
I am happy with a 38r and 150cc stock nozzle injectors, the truck just runs nice with that combo. The one downside is that you will hear it in that low boost say 6 psi range. I would not have reservations about an H2E either.

smokedout250

Reaction score
The cost of an h2e is around 2400 un modded... I looked into doing a 38r swap in my obs and by the time I would have gotten all the parts h2e of a t4 mount is a little cheapr... im hoping that the s366 will be a good turbo the worst that can happen is that I change my nozzels to 100 to make it spool better!

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
I run a s471sx with 250/200s and Love it. Did some towing with a 28ft enclosed trailer. With my tow tune I made that trailer my b!tch.

Gets decent mileage, hard to say because I cant keep my foot out of it. Smoke is almost non existant unless you really get on er.

All this while producing a 1:1 boost/back pressure up to about 31-33psi after that it flatlines at 40/50 psi.

EGTs stay in check, even in my drag tune they are respectable for what it is.

Turbo lites at around 1900-2000 and is fairly responsive for what it is. I do have a loose exhaust housing. (1.10 a/r) Most seem to run a .98-1.01ish

T4 is the way to go.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
I run a s471sx with 250/200s and Love it. Did some towing with a 28ft enclosed trailer. With my tow tune I made that trailer my b!tch.

Gets decent mileage, hard to say because I cant keep my foot out of it. Smoke is almost non existant unless you really get on er.

All this while producing a 1:1 boost/back pressure up to about 31-33psi after that it flatlines at 40/50 psi.

EGTs stay in check, even in my drag tune they are respectable for what it is.

Turbo lites at around 1900-2000 and is fairly responsive for what it is. I do have a loose exhaust housing. (1.10 a/r) Most seem to run a .98-1.01ish

T4 is the way to go.

my GQSSb is pretty much the same way

Big Bore

Reaction score
Here is my current thought's on this. 38r drop in for a entry level. Then once you get the horsepower bug bad, why change that turbo out? As soon as you start going up in size with that single, you are going to begin having DD/towing issues. Especially if you live at altitude or tow heavy. Assuming your horsepower solution uses all the other required upgrades to get you over 500 safely, why not leave that 38r, gate the shyt out of it, put an atmosphere charger in front of it, and you don't have to worry about the spooling and high egt towing issues, because you are still using a 38r to spool, but you have the atmosphere kicking in and doing the work on top. It can be gated to suit your HP goals/abilities, then stepped up when you want to go bigger. Just look at what the 6.4 is doing. Guys are running 12's with a DD tow rig that can tow heavy with no penalties. Seems like doing the larger single and expecting to still be able to use your truck for it's original purpose is an exercise in futility. I think what Charles has been doing is a perfect example. Mike O (Blowby) is running massive injectors on a set of compounds that are jokingly referred to as towing compounds by the builder and he can pass emissions on a over 500HP tune, but layed down over 1000HP with some Nitrous, and I watched him run in the high 11's on fuel. In Denver. He does DD it, and if it had a hitch I have no doubt it would tow fine after talking to him a few times about turbos. I'm not saying his setup is typical at all, but with a bit smaller setup a guy could have a serious ground pounding truck with good DD tow manners. Another guy just did a dyno run using a stock turbo as his primary. So why not put a van housing on it with a big wastegate (lot cheaper than a turbo swap), then use money saved to buy a JB 4202 atmo and some 250/200's and own the street. The stocker turbo will be back to working at stock levels so it worrying about overboost won't be an issue. I'm seriously beginning to think using a big single on a DD is getting to be passe'.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online