7.3 Turbo talk

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Your absolutely correct - today's singles are getting better and better - but that same technology can be and has been directly applied to compound setups. In a nutshell trying to boil this down to one simple to understand word that can describe the difference between a single and compounds: Powerband. Give me a nice wide broad powerband and you will make me a happy person. It is incredibly hard if not impossible to mimic the powerband capabilities of a set of compounds in a single charger. Compounds are absolutely the PERFECT setup for towing. I installed the compounds on my dmax over 80K miles ago - it took me a couple of thousand miles to get them dialed in - but they have never been off the truck since - there is no reason you can't do that in a 7.3.

Yeah i see that also! It would make towing a dream.

I guess its all in the application and what your trying to accomplish. I work on my truck, tinker, and change things constantly. Im not the words greatest mechanic so occasionally i have problems that need fixing also. It just seems to me that if i spend the money (2-3k) to get a PERFECTLY set up single charger custom for my truck that there is really no reason to go spend 8-9k for compounds

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Yeah i see that also! It would make towing a dream.

I guess its all in the application and what your trying to accomplish. I work on my truck, tinker, and change things constantly. Im not the words greatest mechanic so occasionally i have problems that need fixing also. It just seems to me that if i spend the money (2-3k) to get a PERFECTLY set up single charger custom for my truck that there is really no reason to go spend 8-9k for compounds

Remember your 2-3K could possibly be taken out of that 8-9K - so that means you're at 5-7K to add an atmosphere charger.... doesn't sound much different than buying a supercharger setup to me.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
You're right, there really is no reason to spend that much, or even half that much.

Tow hours to get at a VC? Think v-band.

2 hours was probably an exageration, but the point i was making was its more difficult to do everyday jobs under the hood. IM sure some have figured out ways around it also

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Remember your 2-3K could possibly be taken out of that 8-9K - so that means you're at 5-7K to add an atmosphere charger.... doesn't sound much different than buying a supercharger setup to me.

No it doesnt, sounds about the same! But im not a supercharger fan either. Except for the way they sound haha.

If i cant do what i need to do with a single, ill look into compounds. But im pretty confident with todays turbos and tuning i can do everything under the sun with a single with maybe some water injection if im going to tow that heavy

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
You're right, there really is no reason to spend that much, or even half that much.

Tow hours to get at a VC? Think v-band.

So you think a compound kit can be made that includes two turbos, pedestal, features for serviceability, and can be marketed at a profit for 4-4500 for a PSD? Whose smoking crack now?

Big Bore

Reaction score
So you think a compound kit can be made that includes two turbos, pedestal, features for serviceability, and can be marketed at a profit for 4-4500 for a PSD? Whose smoking crack now?

LOL

No, I don't think a custom two turbo setup can be had for that.

But it's my opinion a guy (gal) can use their existing single stocker or drop in and feed it with an atmo turbo and if you DIY most of the work, I think it can be done for under 4K.

BBL to check on this, gotta deliver a motor.

DocBar

Reaction score
How is "almost as good" a "better option"? And I can assure you that a single is not "almost as good" as a proper set of compounds.
Cost is the only answer I can come up with. If you can spend 1/2 as much for a single that does everything you want it to and you don't have a real "need" for compounds, I would say that's a better option.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
I do get the ICP uncontrollable code come up. I also got an IDM Inj. code twice. I'm supposed to have all new stuff on that. ICP, IPR, etc. I've only put about 5k miles on the new engine so maybe it needs a few tweaks.

Yeah thats possible, seems like an oil issue to me unless youve just got bad boost leaks. But snuffing the charger on the shifts should be able to be dealt with in the tuning since your just running that smaller turbo! Id get a read on your ICP while this is all happening.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Cost is the only answer I can come up with. If you can spend 1/2 as much for a single that does everything you want it to and you don't have a real "need" for compounds, I would say that's a better option.

I already knew the answer was cost when I asked the question - but I would be willing to bet that that "almost as good" is based entirely on assumptions about how a compound truck and a really well set up single drive comparatively. That was really my point.

There is obviously no way to compare and contrast an set of compounds built by DIY to a set built for someone to meet a set of goals. A DIY guy can always do something cheaper than a guy guaranteeing fit and function - the problem is that something may or may not be equivalent to what is being offered.

DocBar

Reaction score
I already knew the answer was cost when I asked the question - but I would be willing to bet that that "almost as good" is based entirely on assumptions about how a compound truck and a really well set up single drive comparatively. That was really my point.

There is obviously no way to compare and contrast an set of compounds built by DIY to a set built for someone to meet a set of goals. A DIY guy can always do something cheaper than a guy guaranteeing fit and function - the problem is that something may or may not be equivalent to what is being offered.
I almost put the sarcasm sign on that post and almost elaborated on the obvious performance gains but chose not to. I had no doubt that you already knew the answer.

DocBar

Reaction score
Yeah thats possible, seems like an oil issue to me unless youve just got bad boost leaks. But snuffing the charger on the shifts should be able to be dealt with in the tuning since your just running that smaller turbo! Id get a read on your ICP while this is all happening.
Sounds like a good idea. It's a good excuse to buy AE anyway. All I have to read codes is my old SCT programmer.

Reaction score

:stupid: LOL

WIESEL

Reaction score
What if a guy (me) doesn't want or need to tow hardly at all.
How big can you go with a single?

Latest posts

Members online