94-97 tuning thread.

JK Fab

Reaction score
Why are you wanting a second chip??? You can just get that one re burned with new tunes on it, unless you want a spare or something.

Cale @ Tyrant is another great option

I will be getting the injectores and hpop installed in a couple weeks. Rather than run the truck with no chip while its gettin reburned, i figured i would try some other tunes just for the hell of it. I really want to keep my TW tunes and not burn the chip with someone else and loose them.

I have not heard much on Cale's Tunes but i really have not tried to search that option either !

Jeff

JK Fab

Reaction score
Strokeorcroak tell me your opinion about your TW tunes compared to Cales that you have ?

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Strokeorcroak tell me your opinion about your TW tunes compared to Cales that you have ?

I loved my TW tunes, they had a touchy throttle in the the hotter tunes with i first got them, but that was fixed with one phone call to Tony. He definitely tunes for power.

Cales tunes seem to be the most smooth ive ran, fantastic tunes and just fun to drive. I am very satisfied, but he is a little hard to get ahold of.

I dont think i could choose between the two. The best option is to buy a chip burner and have tuners email you tunes, then you can put whatever you want on the chip. I believe Cale will email you a set of 6 tunes for $75

Bean

Reaction score
Ok, another example of some of the BS we have to put up with on these trucks when trying to make a good tune for them.

High hp 97 with a TDE0 computer and live tuned. Has always has a bit of a rough idle that feels like an injector and has the shift flare on the 1-2 and some on the 2-3. Going back and forth between Brian and us on tunes and no matter what we try with tunes the shift flares up before shifting. Brian sent him another computer and for some reason it doesnt even start the truck, he remembers he has another wrecked 97 so he pulls computer out of it. Same TDE0 coded computer, put it and and now Idle is almost perfectly smooth and shifts are 80% better, 2-3 is fixed and 1-2 only has a slight flare before the shift.

So someone tell how a truck swapping computers, like for like on codes, makes such a huge differance. Can not tell you guys the level of frustration that comes with something like that especially when the customer thinks your a DB because his truck dont right even though there is no reason it shouldnt.

I remember years ago Steve Cole saying he got out of 7.3 tuning because he could not tune two trucks exactly the same. No matter if the trucks were the same with the same mods they would have to be tuned differntly, spending so much timne on each truck made him give up and go on to better tuning platforms. Back then everyone called him crazy for thinking that two exact trucks would need such different tunes, now I see his wisdom. This was like 7 years ago on The Diesel Stop.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Ok, another example of some of the BS we have to put up with on these trucks when trying to make a good tune for them.

High hp 97 with a TDE0 computer and live tuned. Has always has a bit of a rough idle that feels like an injector and has the shift flare on the 1-2 and some on the 2-3. Going back and forth between Brian and us on tunes and no matter what we try with tunes the shift flares up before shifting. Brian sent him another computer and for some reason it doesnt even start the truck, he remembers he has another wrecked 97 so he pulls computer out of it. Same TDE0 coded computer, put it and and now Idle is almost perfectly smooth and shifts are 80% better, 2-3 is fixed and 1-2 only has a slight flare before the shift.

So someone tell how a truck swapping computers, like for like on codes, makes such a huge differance. Can not tell you guys the level of frustration that comes with something like that especially when the customer thinks your a DB because his truck dont right even though there is no reason it shouldnt.

I remember years ago Steve Cole saying he got out of 7.3 tuning because he could not tune two trucks exactly the same. No matter if the trucks were the same with the same mods they would have to be tuned differntly, spending so much timne on each truck made him give up and go on to better tuning platforms. Back then everyone called him crazy for thinking that two exact trucks would need such different tunes, now I see his wisdom. This was like 7 years ago on The Diesel Stop.

yeah im having the 1-2, 2-3 shifting issue, and my truck idles random here and there.

Your suggesting possibly finding another PCM of the same code and swapping them to see if that makes a difference with the same tuning?

Tom S

Reaction score
I did not notice the idle change swapping PCM's but the shift issues where there with not wanting to shift at WOT. First hand experience.

MossBack

Reaction score
is it a chip issue when the truck holds 1st til rev limiter?

I have noticed it about once a month but a week ago it was insane and smoked like crazy and shifted after i backed out of the throttle. It happens after a little bit of hard playing with her.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
I did not notice the idle change swapping PCM's but the shift issues where there with not wanting to shift at WOT. First hand experience.

You simply went just swapped PCM and saw the shifting get drastically better?

Did you change the code of the PCM at all or just just straight swap for the exact same thing?

Last edited by a moderator:

ytee

Reaction score
The code of the computer should not matter if you are using a chip. You just have to have manual computer for a manual and a auto computer for a auto. The chip that you install in the computer determines the code that your computer will run. I believe most tuners use TDE1.

Chris

Tom S

Reaction score
You simply went just swapped PCM and saw the shifting get drastically better?

Did you change the code of the PCM at all or just just straight swap for the exact same thing?

NAW4 computer that has been reflashed to a TDE1 vs a NAW6 bone stock one.

DIESEL SHOP LLC.

Reaction score
!!!

DB hahaha i owe u one !!! So we have been trying diff tunes to fix some of these problems with shifting and ideling ruff, some changes make a diff some dont. So brian at BTS did send me a computer all 3 have same code keep in mind BTS no start at all, so i went to another truck i had, put that pcm in. WOW what a diff atleast 80% better all across the board. The truck shifts way better idles sooooo smooth and feels so crisp when u get on it, my egts droped about 100 deg i mean its a totally diff truck. Now i dont know if this makes a diff the computer i am useing now is out of a truck i bought brand new in 97, it never went back for any reflashing from ford which i remeber they were doing even if u didnt ask when the trucks were going in for work, It was also confirmed by a ford tech i know and is a good friend. like i said i dont know if that is makeing a diff or not. Thinking now of just putting a trans commander in to get shifts exactly where i want them. Thanks to RYAN and JOHN at BEANS and BRIAN at BTS u have given me a sweet running truck. This truck on all fuel has run 12.90s :tree:

Peroni

Reaction score
How about having your truck run perfect off the lap top when being live tuned and then have it run like poo on the chip? Been driving me nuts!

Latest posts

Members online