a different take on e fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghohouston

Reaction score
So after dealing with my stock mechanical fuel pump crapping out, and knowing they're not a great design anyways, I have an idea. I am not going for big power on this, but just want a cheap, cleaner setup than the stock obs, and I will eventually upgrade injectors.

Get a super duty fuel bowl and electric pump

Swap hpop resovoir to sd style to mount stock sd fuel bowl (I have one laying around, so its free minus cost of gaskets)

Figure out what I need to do for fuel lines?

Could I make fuel feed lines to go to all 4 corners of the heads, and have the excess fuel returned still through the stock return? The stock sd setup has the fuel returned at one end of each head, then back to the bowl, and back to the tank from there, correct? What could I do here? Would I be forced to run a regulated return? Any ideas from yall would be much appreciated. And if you're just going to tell me, buy a fuel system, don't bother commenting. I am detirmined to make this work, and am looking for ideas. Thanks in advance

bluedge8

Reaction score
I don't know anything about the super duty systems, doing the joe daddy fpr mod and fuel bowl delete cleaned up the valley.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
The SD fuel system pressurizess both heads with no return from the heads. There is a fuel pressure spring at the bowl where pressure is released and returned to tank.

I would recommend the SD pump, SD fuel bowl that feeds the front of the heads then get a fuel pressure regulator for the back of the heads.

OldschoolPSD

Reaction score
No need to re-invent the wheel. Plenty of write-ups on doing a simple regulated return e-fuel system online. I think I've got less than $400 in mine using a stock SD pump and a stanadyne filter/water seperator along with a handful of fittings from Colliflower.

Regulator was the biggest expense and you need that anyways.

m j

Reaction score
so all stock with the exception of 4 corner feed? why not?
it will work as good as stock

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
The SD bowl is unreliable at best, the filters are as much as a remote system. Just feed the rear of each head with some brake line and a T. You can see my modified FOR to the left regulating the return fuel. Those are just stock OS fuel return hoses. I spliced into the stock feed line from the frame, slid the factory pump back and mounted a remote filter and base right above the cross member.

sorry for the giant pic but it may help to see.

1669767_585130758244273_1093859802_o.jpg

1606864_589097467847602_547490815_n.jpg

ghohouston

Reaction score
The stock sd fuel bowl is fine for me. My main concern is getting rid of all those crappy rubber fuel lines at the bowl, being able to use the stock sd electric pump with sd fuel bowl, once again, i can get all this stuff CHEAP. I honestly like having the fuel bowl under the hood, and sd bowls are a lot less prone to leaking than obs' s in my experience.

ghohouston

Reaction score
so all stock with the exception of 4 corner feed? why not?
it will work as good as stock

So with what was said, I can make up lines to feed the other 2 corners, and the fuel will still be returned like stock, through the bowl? Or am I not understanding something? I've always been a little fuzzy on the whole fuel return thing. I get it, but I don't if that makes sense.

ghohouston

Reaction score
The SD fuel system pressurizess both heads with no return from the heads. There is a fuel pressure spring at the bowl where pressure is released and returned to tank.

I would recommend the SD pump, SD fuel bowl that feeds the front of the heads then get a fuel pressure regulator for the back of the heads.

So the regulator would take fuel from the rear head fuel fittings and return it right? I would really like to feed all 4 corners of the motor, it just seems like a better setup to me,idk...

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
So you want to feed all 4 corners?
Where are you going to run your returns from?
Think on it a bit longer.

m j

Reaction score
So you want to feed all 4 corners?
Where are you going to run your returns from?
Think on it a bit longer.

he wants to use the factory SD system but add 4 corner feeding, the return will be from the bowl just like the factory SD system.

bluedge8

Reaction score
Just bustin your balls here, but if the factory SD system is adequate, why feed all four corners?

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
So you want to dead head it from 4 corners?
That's what I thought you meant, and why I suggested that you think on it some more. The dead head system is a huge step backwards, 4 dead head lines is like 1 wheel drive......with square wheels.

I'm not insulting your idea, just inspiring you to see it's a waste of time and talent. You can feed more than enough fuel from one end of the head and reduce the chance of introducing air into the injectors.

BTW the factory hoses don't last forever but you might only replace them once every 300k miles.

Good luck! :thumbup:

ghohouston

Reaction score
Okay guys, I get it. I had thought I remembered quite a while back reading one of the more knowledgable members on here have a discussion about feeding all 4 corners of the motor, but yall are right, the factory sd system is adequate. I assume you all still recommend a regulated return though? What is that gonna cost?

m j

Reaction score
4 corner is better then 2.

I dont see air being an issue with a dead head.
I like the potential cooling of a regulated return

cost of the reg return setup is dependant on what you do. a reg is $150ish for a name brand

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
4 corner is better then 2.

I dont see air being an issue with a dead head.
I like the potential cooling of a regulated return

cost of the reg return setup is dependant on what you do. a reg is $150ish for a name brand

When you don't know what you're talking about its best not to talk at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online