Airflow...CHECK

isootmypants

Reaction score
Got injectors back from Swamps. Went with 300/200s for the time. Dave and I were emailing back and fourth, we were set on 400/400s but he wouldnt be able to turn them around in time to have them by Carlisle. They were finished Thursday night, flow bench on Friday morning, werent gonna get here till Saturday around noon.

418638_10152003839160065_914505417_n.jpg

Didnt make it to Carlisle anyway, so they could have just been turned to 400/400s anyway. Oh well, Theres always next time.

557876_10151983764620065_675692569_n.jpg

375719_10151984720330065_1638250035_n.jpg

Plasma cut ring to match housing, tig weld, fit perfect with clamp.

315358_10152014183350065_1062387194_n.jpg

Got injectors in, everything together, took for a test ride. Daily tune, half throttle, 40lbs, boom. Whoops. Need to add more clamps and change boot

405325_10152009886125065_1102853955_n-2.jpg

Changed boot and got 4 clamps, took for a ride last night, in the daily tune, still have yet to burn the 2 new tunes Dave sent.

Little hazey cruising, still getting some air out, but man, rolling into it at 45mph, lites around 2k, speedo moves quickly.

Need to change out 40lb gauge, it pins in before its even spooled completely.

Will get videos soon

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
gotta keep those tools from rusting!!

haha this is true.....i noticed this weekend that between carlisle last year...and carlisle this year...i put a mind blowing 3200 miles on the truck.....and i have a pile of parts accumulating that will start as soon as the first snow fall hits haha

isootmypants

Reaction score
Mark, i forgot to tell you. The reason my truck only dynoed 463 at hamburg, the scotty tune Patrick sent me, Dave looked at it. It was a TCL tune, different from the D2 tune. TCL is made for the 400% nozzle, so the duration of the injector is shortened, thinking it has enough fuel from the 400% but only using a 100% nozzle doesnt push enough fuel. The D2 has a longer duraton for the smaller nozzles, which is what I dynoed 606 with.

Joe dynoed 601 with his 250 tune, and that is the tune I stay with him with on the highway, in my daily.

oh yea, Joe blew his input shaft the following Monday after Atco too

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
Mark, i forgot to tell you. The reason my truck only dynoed 463 at hamburg, the scotty tune Patrick sent me, Dave looked at it. It was a TCL tune, different from the D2 tune. TCL is made for the 400% nozzle, so the duration of the injector is shortened, thinking it has enough fuel from the 400% but only using a 100% nozzle doesnt push enough fuel. The D2 has a longer duraton for the smaller nozzles, which is what I dynoed 606 with.

Joe dynoed 601 with his 250 tune, and that is the tune I stay with him with on the highway, in my daily.

oh yea, Joe blew his input shaft the following Monday after Atco too

i was just pming you about that actually....glad you got it figured out. I was suprised by a lot of the numbers i saw at hamburg....

that sucks he blew the shaft...time for an upgrade!

i still have to get that up pipe fixed, hope to get to it next week some time...i was really not happy after that dyno run...didnt even care to look at the numbers after dumping more smoke under the hood then out the tail pipe!

isootmypants

Reaction score
Well....

On Friday, was getting the truck ready for the Buck. Loaded new tunes, took for a ride, running awesome. Pull in garage, check fluids over, start up, back out of garage, CLACK CLACK CLACK, SES light on. Heart drops. Pull inside, shut off. Pull driver side valve cover. Find this:

truckbentrod001.jpg

truckbentrod002.jpg

truckbentrod003.jpg

truckbentrod004.jpg

Both rocker are retainers snapped, same cylinder, exact same time. Luckily found all pieces in the head, nothing dropped down. Push rods laying there, rollers all good.

Run over to my buddy Jims place in Vernon, was able to snag parts from him, got back, put it back together. Start it up. CLACK CLACK CLACK. White smoke at idle. Put AE on, said Cylinder #6 injector balance failure, did the buzz test, etc. Let truck idle, unplugged #6 injector, stopped smoking, OK. Pulled injector, checked it, looked perfect. Swapped over injector 4 & 6. Started up, unplugged injector 6 that was in #4 now, still smokes, ok not injector, unplugged injector 4, that was in hole 6, stops smoking.

Ok, thats that, only thing it can be is a bent rod. Injector putting fuel in cylinder, not coming up high enough to ignite fuel, so only raw fuel coming out.

Pulled motor in 2 1/2 hours, head off, find #6 piston, 1/4" shorter on TDC.

FACK!

Flip motor, pull pan, found the knock. Piston to crank contact.

truckbentrod005.jpg

truckbentrod006.jpg

truckbentrod008.jpg

truckbentrod009.jpg

truckbentrod010.jpg

truckbentrod012.jpg

truckbentrod013.jpg

Slight score in cylinder wall, doesnt go past ring mark.

Now Im stumped on what to do.

Save for Billet rods, or replace one piston and rod. Cryo'd forged. .20 over piston with 15.5 comp, radiused and delipped.

Im not sure what caused the retainers to break, and if that is what caused the rod to bend, valves slamming shut during exhaust stroke, or what.

But I am damn lucky it bent and did not install windows in my block.

rat49f6

Reaction score
I'm not sure id bolt a 600 hp set up on a junk yard engine
Buy billets and stop strading that fence you know your on

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

TRUBBS

Reaction score
I'm not sure id bolt a 600 hp set up on a junk yard engine
Buy billets and stop strading that fence you know your on

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

cough....this....cough......

Maybe he still needs his truck to use? Maybe he can't afford to have the truck sit for an extended period of time while gettin funds together to do a billet engine?
So I'm gona agree with the junkyard engine idea, just tune it down while building your billet rod engine.

isootmypants

Reaction score
Maybe he still needs his truck to use? Maybe he can't afford to have the truck sit for an extended period of time while gettin funds together to do a billet engine?
So I'm gona agree with the junkyard engine idea, just tune it down while building your billet rod engine.

I have a company truck to drive daily but yes, I do need to use it. I really need it to pull a 30ft camper next weekend, so I may put the 72/74 back on and junkyard motor until I can afford the Billet rods

Latest posts

Members online