Annnnd BOOM goes the dynomite

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
Swamps has stated the majority of the heat from the combustion event happens in the top two to three inches of the cylinder. I did a tall fill on my built engine and it came out at right about 2 inches below deck surface. I have done a half fill (one bag of Hardblok) on a friends engine and it seemed like it was enough to just coat the bottom of the water jackets, hardly worth the hassle

Orezona

Reaction score
This is what SWAMPS has on their site about it in their Competiion Performance build.

To prevent the engine block from fracturing at the main registers, & prior to machine work, the cylinder block will be cleaned and filled with HardBlok. During the block-fill curing process, we will install BHJ deckplate(s) and main caps & girdle to pre-stress the engine block in a simulated 'assembled' condition. This step simulates an 'assembled' condition, so that the block cylinder bores & mains are held by the block filler once cured. This 1-2 week process ensures that all machine work done to the block will not change nor distort dimensionally after machine work and assembly. A 2" void in the top of the block (the hottest area where combustion occurs) will be left unfilled to allow for adequate coolant circulation through the block. We have dozens of filled blocks being daily driven as street trucks, and have seen no compromise to the engine, even when used for towing applications.

While we do use a sealant to seal the HardBlok from contaminating the cooling system, we do recommend a coolant filter.

Customers with high horsepower towing vehicles may consider our 4340 pre-hardened steel bedplate as an alternative to the Hardblok.

Marty

Reaction score
7.3's are not sleeved from the factory.

Sleeves add a fair amount of expense to an engine build. There are positives and negs to it.

It's just easier to start with a virgin block if there are porosity issues or cracks in the cylinder.

In my experience I use a set of rods and leave most everything else stock for a DD engine.

And... the only torque to yeild bolts are the head bolts. Every other fastner can be reused in the engine.

Last edited:

OSCS

Reaction score
7.3's are not sleeved from the factory.

Sleeves add a fair amount of expense to an engine build. There are positives and negs to it.

It's just easier to start with a virgin block if there are porosity issues or cracks in the cylinder.

In my experience I use a set of rods and leave most everything else stock for a DD engine.

And... the only torque to yeild bolts are the head bolts. Every other fastner can be reused in the engine.

exact same thing the local builder told me

OSCS

Reaction score
man i just crawled under the truck for another look and it seems it blew out the other side of the block as well.. I bet once i get it torn open its going to be NASTY in there

OSCS

Reaction score
Little somethin like that

30F-89D697D27F87-2116-000004191EED36B8_zps92123497.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.