ARP vs Extreme Studs

JDub

Reaction score
These sounds like a great option to me. I saw Zane put a lot of motors together over the few years i worked for him and saw enough to see how much better the h11 were over 17-22a. I think its especially important in a head that's missing the clamping force that 18 studs gain you...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

KCTurbos

Reaction score
arent you kcturbos ?

Yep...

Sorry... I signed on to check my old pm box and forgot to switch back

I still have the same question about 600hp. I agree with everything you guys are saying about the prep work being very important but I don't see that being the #1 reason why these headgaskets fail... I know some of you think I am an idiot and thick headed as you have stated. But I wonder if the guys calling me those things even read my posts. Prep work is great and very important, but that is not what plagues these motors. That is what I am saying. Others platforms have way less problems even with similar designs and when they fail people don't blame it on prep work. I know a lot of people keep quoting that they never have problems with any of the head jobs they do... but I am mainly speaking for the higher hp guys who run 550-600+. That is why I asked about the 600hp heads holding up. Most of the guys I know that were just around 500hp were always fine... once they took the leap 600hp fuel only their heads starting leaking.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
You have more issues on this platform.than others because you have two less bolts per cylinder than the other two makes. So prep work is more important on the 6.0/6.4 platform than others. Its not that hard to grasp.

imelmo

Reaction score
Yep...

Sorry... I signed on to check my old pm box and forgot to switch back

I still have the same question about 600hp. I agree with everything you guys are saying about the prep work being very important but I don't see that being the #1 reason why these headgaskets fail... I know some of you think I am an idiot and thick headed as you have stated. But I wonder if the guys calling me those things even read my posts. Prep work is great and very important, but that is not what plagues these motors. That is what I am saying. Others platforms have way less problems even with similar designs and when they fail people don't blame it on prep work. I know a lot of people keep quoting that they never have problems with any of the head jobs they do... but I am mainly speaking for the higher hp guys who run 550-600+. That is why I asked about the 600hp heads holding up. Most of the guys I know that were just around 500hp were always fine... once they took the leap 600hp fuel only their heads starting leaking.

You have more issues on this platform.than others because you have two less bolts per cylinder than the other two makes. So prep work is more important on the 6.0/6.4 platform than others. Its not that hard to grasp.

i.e. - the 6.0 is much less forgiving than the others.

KCTurbos

Reaction score

Dude you can drop the condescending phrases and quit calling me names! No need to add thick skulled, poor comprehension, or implying that I am dumb and cant grasp easy concepts to every post you make.

Here are a couple examples of other people here in this very same thread bringing up the items I was hoping to discuss. No need to imply that I am stupid and don't understand... I think it might be someone else who is lacking the comprehension to understand the questions asked and the subject matter.

Happens all the time. Many high hp 6.0's blow coolant with studs . It's just a fact they live with.

^^^^ this is something that interested me. No mention of prep work. I understood this to be an issues that is hard to avoid with higher hp 6.0 trucks

I put fresh head gaskets on the ranger before every season and they always last till about September And we start pushing coolant. (Standard arps) last race in October it was bubbling up at idle haha.

Here is another one. Why put another one on every season? I am sure that maybe it has something to do other than prep work being wrong everytime.

I'll be using Extremes when I redo mine soon. :doh: LOL

Why r u redoing yours??? I would assume you had problems. Did you do the prep work right?

Can any of the guys here making decent power chime in on what they use?

I know a decent amount of people still running ARPs with luck, there are also plenty of people that have constant issues with puking by seasons end.

^^^ I had the same questions you did. I was just hoping to discuss other reasons these are puking other than the fact that they were not prepped right.

Why are all these people that are blowing gaskets with arps being kept anonymous?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

^^^ I would not say they are anonymous... but they do seem to be kept on the down low, also when you bring it up you often get ignored or bashed.

i know the high hp guys, they need something better than the ARP, and with the loss of a-1, there is a market. thats why i'm involved. and the 1-2 guys that really have made 1000 , or even close, all push coolant , often with arps. .

^^^ another example of big power pushing coolant. This is what I was hoping to touch on and brainstorm how and why better products (including Extreme studs) would/could help us.

Those were just a couple of quote from one little thread. I see these kind of comments all the time and when they get brought up people get defensive and offer no better solutions.

I asked a couple of simple questions and implied a little bit of original thinking. (mostly got ignored). We admit the problems, admit it is worse for the 6.0 than other platforms... but then get defensive when someone wants to brainstorm better solutions. I will digress and continue the conversation with other people more interested in the subject and those able to discuss/debate without repeating themselves over and over again and just change how condescending they sound.

But please stop implying that I am stupid, lack comprehension, and am the only guys in the world with these issues or concerns.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Well "dude" how many people get on the forums an blast that they have zero issues? And further more quit making stupid question captain obvious post and I'll stop.

Reaction score
I never stated that you are stupid or anything. I don't know you personally. But like a stated before the majority of people blow head gaskets because they were not done as good as they possibly could have. Which leads to failures. Others maybe because of old design gaskets (small percentage, because those same people using the cheap gaskets more than likely didn't machine the heads or properly do the job). And the final 2% of ALL 6.0's are because they area long more power than standard arp's and oem gaskets will seal. And 2% is pretty liberal if you ask me. If you planning on big hp and or spray, I would consider something a little more than stock gaskets and studs. But if you going for that big of hp, I would consider a something besides a 6.0 to begin with...

It's a tough world out there. But the 6.0 has been done a long time ago. It just seems we keep going in circles on head gaskets with stuff we learned 5 years ago. So don't get too excited when people get snappy by reiterating the same head gasket info people have been asking about for years. Nothing changed, same block same heads, different people asking the same questions. Sorry if you felt offended. But we are not a very coddling group here on this forum.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Dude you can drop the condescending phrases and quit calling me names! No need to add thick skulled, poor comprehension, or implying that I am dumb and cant grasp easy concepts to every post you make.

Here are a couple examples of other people here in this very same thread bringing up the items I was hoping to discuss. No need to imply that I am stupid and don't understand... I think it might be someone else who is lacking the comprehension to understand the questions asked and the subject matter.

^^^^ this is something that interested me. No mention of prep work. I understood this to be an issues that is hard to avoid with higher hp 6.0 trucks

Here is another one. Why put another one on every season? I am sure that maybe it has something to do other than prep work being wrong everytime.

Why r u redoing yours??? I would assume you had problems. Did you do the prep work right?

^^^ I had the same questions you did. I was just hoping to discuss other reasons these are puking other than the fact that they were not prepped right.

^^^ I would not say they are anonymous... but they do seem to be kept on the down low, also when you bring it up you often get ignored or bashed.

^^^ another example of big power pushing coolant. This is what I was hoping to touch on and brainstorm how and why better products (including Extreme studs) would/could help us.

Those were just a couple of quote from one little thread. I see these kind of comments all the time and when they get brought up people get defensive and offer no better solutions.

I asked a couple of simple questions and implied a little bit of original thinking. (mostly got ignored). We admit the problems, admit it is worse for the 6.0 than other platforms... but then get defensive when someone wants to brainstorm better solutions. I will digress and continue the conversation with other people more interested in the subject and those able to discuss/debate without repeating themselves over and over again and just change how condescending they sound.

But please stop implying that I am stupid, lack comprehension, and am the only guys in the world with these issues or concerns.

What "brainstorming better solutions" have you done here? All I see is you implying that a stronger stud is somehow not as strong and that prep work isn't as important as it is.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
If a 6.0 head is "flexing" wouldn't a 6.4 head flex?

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

I have never worked on a 6.4 but from what my machine shop tells me... the 6.4 has thicker heads, thicker studs/bolts, and the studs/bolts do not go all the way through the rocker box. They bolt down directly to the head. These are areas that significantly help out the 6.4 over the 6.0

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
I vote someone should try the 6.0 extreme stud at 600+ hp with a VGT. Put them in a situation where the ARP's seem to not do so well.

See how they hold up where the ARPs struggled and that is an end all to a conversation that continues to repeat itself.

Heck we are going to be ordering up a set for our single cab soon... we will have results by June after LOTS of VGT testing.

swinky

Reaction score
I vote someone should try the 6.0 extreme stud at 600+ hp with a VGT. Put them in a situation where the ARP's seem to not do so well.

See how they hold up where the ARPs struggled and that is an end all to a conversation that continues to repeat itself.

Heck we are going to be ordering up a set for our single cab soon... we will have results by June after LOTS of VGT testing.

Mhm.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
Got my Extreme studs installed today!
aqyzara7.jpg

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Nice , I've sold about 12 sets of 6.0 and 20 sets of 6.4 , with no issues to report.

Latest posts

Members online