ARP vs Extreme Studs

weekendwarriorfsw32

Reaction score
I have blown my gaskets with ARP studs on a 430 hp truck over a 2 year time period. Did a fresh set of ARP studs and a fresh set oh OEM gaskets with now 190/75's and a 68 turbo, we will see how long they last and if they fail again I will be giving Mikey a call to order up some Extreme Studs.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
to me it's simple, this thread has a title. in regards to that, one material is more resilient and less prone to stretch. thats it!

No argument there, H11/H13 are both harder material than 17-22A. But no matter what you chose if the proper prep work isn't done your going to have issues down the line period.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
No argument there, H11/H13 are both harder material than 17-22A. But no matter what you chose if the proper prep work isn't done your going to have issues down the line period.

BINGO. but that is apparently hard to comprehend. the problem is, most dont know how to dissect the machine work to know. just taking others words for it.

Reaction score
Not to be complicated... I don't see the issues. We never have trucks come back with blown head gaskets, doesn't matter which stud or gaskets. Common denominator? The job was
Done right.

Evidently, the guys doing it in their moms drive way get pissed, because "they did it right" and it blew the gasket.

Question? If it was done right, then why are they blown?

Our stuff never blows? Is there a reason? (Clue: it's not the fasteners)

Not being a dick, but I didn't just "talk to people" I've done it, for years and years over hundreds of trucks. It's no "myth" or "hype". 90% is prep and installer error failures. 8% was gaskets that are no longer being made. 2% is because someone with a 6.0 made enough power to actually stretch a set of standard arp's past their holding capacity. (Edit, change the last part to 1%, let's be realistic).

May not like the answer, I don't care. It's not opinion. It's fact, learned by experience.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Not to be complicated... I don't see the issues. We never have trucks come back with blown head gaskets, doesn't matter which stud or gaskets. Common denominator? The job was
Done right.

Evidently, the guys doing it in their moms drive way get pissed, because "they did it right" and it blew the gasket.

Not being a dick, but I didn't just "talk to people" I've done it, for years and years over hundreds of trucks. It's no "myth" or "hype". 90% is prep and installer error failures. 8% was gaskets that are no longer being made. 2% is because someone with a 6.0 made enough power to actually stretch a set of standard arp's past their holding capacity. (Edit, change the last part to 1%, let's be realistic).

May not like the answer, I don't care. It's not opinion. It's fact, learned by experience.

Its like an echo LoL. Right on I agree.

weekendwarriorfsw32

Reaction score
So where do you think every one is going wrong? Block prep, going to tight on the studs, not enough lube on each fastener causing a random and improper finial torque on each stud causing some areas of the head to have less clamping force?

Done right.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
So where do you think every one is going wrong? Block prep, going to tight on the studs, not enough lube on each fastener causing a random and improper finial torque on each stud causing some areas of the head to have less clamping force?

i dont think "amount" of lube would be an issue as long as its presen. block prep a small percentage and head machine a much bigger portion. tq wrench calibration a small portion as well. even tq across the spectrum is key.

Last edited:

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score

Prep work, clean flat deck, machined non cracked heads, clean stud bores, proper lube, proper torque, proper torque sequence, calibrated tools and so on.

A lot if factors that some don't care to check or even think have any impact that can greatly affect the final product.

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
I wish we could get a standard that everyone agrees on for installing Studs. I'm my thread on that I got a bazillion different awnsers.

It made it hard to pick one.
Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Exactly. No secrets. Just can't cut any corners or leave anything to chance. Or it WILL come back to haunt you.

Yes sir, I know we are not the cheapest on stud jobs. But its because we refuse to cut corners, if our name is going to be on it its going to be done right.

peixinho

Reaction score
So how many r pushing 600+ HP on just studs and OEMS with no problems for long periods of time with no issues?

Latest posts

Members online