ARP vs Extreme Studs

Mdub707

Reaction score
After being around the forums for several years and getting to become good friends with a lot of the guys "in the know" there are definitely products or installs that happen that don't go as planned and the general forum population never finds out about it. It was more a general statement and I guess I was just thinking out loud.

These stud threads pop up every once in a while, and it's not a complicated part but there's so much misinformation spread around it's silly. People torquing beyond recommended specs, with no valid reason to do so other than "bigger is better!"

Truth is ARP's will be just fine for most. The extreme studs are going to be less forgiving, which works both ways. Less forgiving (due to tensile strength) means you can't just ramp up torque values to make you feel better, they will break easier (more brittle). However, it also means there will be less stretch on the stud when under max boost and cylinder pressures, so the gasket should hold better, in theory. If the money is there, I wouldn't hesitate to use a higher tensile strength stud, knowing what I know now, and I agree with those saying a lot of these failures ARE due to the install jobs. No stud will correct for a poor install.

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
I have 60 miles on my Extreme studs... I guess only time will tell now.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

swinky

Reaction score
Officialy ad me to the list of blown gaskets and Arps. 20psi in the system. Pm me a price on these extreme studs for a 6leaker when you get the chance boss man. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
Officialy ad me to the list of blown gaskets and Arps. 20psi in the system. Pm me a price on these extreme studs for a 6leaker when you get the chance boss man. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

Didn't you JUST install those studs, or am I confusing you with someone else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
Happens all the time. Many high hp 6.0's blow coolant with studs . It's just a fact they live with. Jesse warren has a set going on his that currently blows coolant on fresh heads and gaskets with brand new arp's, and guaranteed he makes a good bit more power than you. And maybe you aren't up to date on how studs work, you seem to be pretty new , but h-11/13 has always been known to be a better material for clamping.

The deck of the block is probably no good. Either from bad factory machining, being prepped with a cookie disc or from driving with bad gaskets.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Can we all agree that the best method for block clean up is having it machined and having the pistons machined to match? I would venture to guess 95% of the guys doing studs on 6.0's are NOT removing the entire engine, stripping down, having the block machined, and rebuilding again.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Can we all agree that the best method for block clean up is having it machined and having the pistons machined to match? I would venture to guess 95% of the guys doing studs on 6.0's are NOT removing the entire engine, stripping down, having the block machined, and rebuilding again.

No, but some people are against using cookies because you have people who don't pay attention and push to hard and stay in one area to long. But if you know what your doing and check your work you will be fine.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I'm sure it CAN be done, but a block machining would be better. It's certainly not as easy as the cookies. I know my block has been hit with cookies at the dealership, because the block looked like hell when I pulled my heads.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
20130813_124223_zpsb8b57901.jpg

Here's one I did personally, I used cookies and checked it afterwards. This was done last summer, truck never come off of the Spartan 310 tune and gets towed with an beaten on daily. Still running around with no issues. If its done right there is nothing to be scared of with cookies.

A dealership could care less, but a shop has to do it right or eat it if it comes back.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
20130813_124223_zpsb8b57901.jpg

Here's one I did personally, I used cookies and checked it afterwards. This was done last summer, truck never come off of the Spartan 310 tune and gets towed with an beaten on daily. Still running around with no issues. If its done right there is nothing to be scared of with cookies.

A dealership could care less, but a shop has to do it right or eat it if it comes back.
You missed a spot!