Avg Egts with Hybrids and 38r

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
Im sick of seeing my egt gauge at 800* and above almost all the time. When im on the highway at 70 they sit at 800 and when towing in my 60 tow tune they sit at 1050-1100 somtimes 1200. Im in florida so the biggest hill we have here are the over passes :biggun: which i have to let off at so i dont go over 1250. What are you alls avg egt with the combo of mods in my sig? I have the full pulled back on the injectors till i get the tranny and studs in. Dont see any sot on the bellowed up pipes and no oil leaking out of the intercooler boots. Boost can peg my 35# gauge if i lay into when empty. Is this normal stuff? Mileage seems like its down. :wtf:

average

Reaction score
I would say have your tuning tweaked. I don't have the problems you do and I have a similar setup, 238/100 38r with 1.15 housing DP tuned.

300000 and counting

Reaction score
Im sick of seeing my egt gauge at 800* and above almost all the time. When im on the highway at 70 they sit at 800 and when towing in my 60 tow tune they sit at 1050-1100 somtimes 1200. Im in florida so the biggest hill we have here are the over passes :biggun: which i have to let off at so i dont go over 1250. What are you alls avg egt with the combo of mods in my sig? I have the full pulled back on the injectors till i get the tranny and studs in. Dont see any sot on the bellowed up pipes and no oil leaking out of the intercooler boots. Boost can peg my 35# gauge if i lay into when empty. Is this normal stuff? Mileage seems like its down. :wtf:

Is your pryo pre or post turbo, if its pre turbo I would say your not to high but if if your post turbo thats really high. You might wanna check to see if your intercooler or your air intake is plugged. I've seen plugged intercoolers cause high egt's.

Also is you fuel mileage bad and how much boost are you making at those temps?

7.3 Whitey

Reaction score
What temps should you read post turbo? Say towing? Stock tune. Only got to 1k on a looong trip towing 12k from Nevada to Kansas. What's an average % difference when its post turbo?

neverkickn

Reaction score
Is your pryo pre or post turbo, if its pre turbo I would say your not to high but if if your post turbo thats really high. You might wanna check to see if your intercooler or your air intake is plugged. I've seen plugged intercoolers cause high egt's.

Also is you fuel mileage bad and how much boost are you making at those temps?

If you have a pluged intake or intercooler, then your turbo is also shot. Anything that you could possibly suck in that would plug a cac or intake is gonna destroy the charger at the same time. Now maybe if he hasn't rerouted his ccv, he might possibly be loosing some thermal efficiency from an oil saturated cac, but that would be it.

I wouldn't be happy with those numbers for steady towing on flat ground. Also, throwing a 1.15 housing on there isn't gonna fix anything if it is a drive/boost pressure leak causing the problem. It also isn't gonna fix the problem if the tuning is at fault.

You need to make sure that you don't have any leaks first. Then you need to have a talk with your tuner to see if they can help you determine what the problem is. It could be any number of things.

300000 and counting

Reaction score
If you have a pluged intake or intercooler, then your turbo is also shot. Anything that you could possibly suck in that would plug a cac or intake is gonna destroy the charger at the same time. Now maybe if he hasn't rerouted his ccv, he might possibly be loosing some thermal efficiency from an oil saturated cac, but that would be it.

I wouldn't be happy with those numbers for steady towing on flat ground. Also, throwing a 1.15 housing on there isn't gonna fix anything if it is a drive/boost pressure leak causing the problem. It also isn't gonna fix the problem if the tuning is at fault.

You need to make sure that you don't have any leaks first. Then you need to have a talk with your tuner to see if they can help you determine what the problem is. It could be any number of things.

Some people with farm trucks (aka driving through fields) get seeds, dust, grass, and all kinda if stuff in their intercooler fins plugging them up, if your intercooler or even your ac condenser is plugged or really dirt they can cause egt's to rise. If it was me that's where I would check before buying something or paying to have your truck retuned. If you very carefully wash them out with purple power you could see a difference

rustbucket

Reaction score
I would talk to your tuner. I had a 38r with 238/200's and never went over 950 empty at 75mph over the big passes here in nevada. 700 on flat ground empty, 850 flat ground loaded

TARM

Reaction score
If the engine is mechanically sound then its tuning. Otherwise it could be anything from a boost/drive side leak, etc....

No worries about damage at the temps you are seeing you could run all day at 1200 without issues. But basically the lower you can have egts at cruise no load the better the tuning is dialed in and better the fuel mileage. That is what I have noticed.

neverkickn

Reaction score
Some people with farm trucks (aka driving through fields) get seeds, dust, grass, and all kinda if stuff in their intercooler fins plugging them up, if your intercooler or even your ac condenser is plugged or really dirt they can cause egt's to rise. If it was me that's where I would check before buying something or paying to have your truck retuned. If you very carefully wash them out with purple power you could see a difference

Ok you meant externally. Thats plausible.

300000 and counting

Reaction score
Yea externally, I washed mine out whenever I put my 31 row tranny cooler in and the intercooler didn't look very dirt but a ton of dirt and crap came out of it

CurtisF

Reaction score
What temps should you read post turbo? Say towing? Stock tune. Only got to 1k on a looong trip towing 12k from Nevada to Kansas. What's an average % difference when its post turbo?

Post turbo is completely useless. There is no average difference in temps between pre vs post. They could be 50 degrees apart, or they could be 500 degrees apart.

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
Pre turbo mounted pyro. Gonna throw a boost leak detector on there and see what happens. I dont think its leaking due to the fact i can still hit 35 psi with a ton of fuel pulled back. On the exhaust side i have Internationals bellowed up pipes and dont see any evidence of soot leaking out anywhere. Its just irritating because multiple people i know with the usual mods chip, intake exhaust etc run so much cooler. The majority of the towing i do is with a 31 ft contender, and having to keep my eyes glued to the pyro while going down the turnpike gets tiring

DocBar

Reaction score
I usually run between 650* and 700* on flat land running ~70-ish. With Matt's tunes, I have a helluva time getting my truck to break 1250*. I've done it a couple of times pulling a 12,500# 5er up a long, fairly steep grade.

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
see thats what i mean, youre running larger injectors and same turbo basically hauling the same weight and i can have my EGTs get as hot as i want if i put my foot in it on flat ground

Latest posts

Members online