Avg Egts with Hybrids and 38r

DocBar

Reaction score
Im not offended. If i was that sensitive I would.have decamped.for.greener pastures a long time ago. Like when guys started linking to youtube of.themself bending horseshoes.over.their.head to.scare me.

To the op- i personally dont.think your egts are that bad. Cruising, regardless of injector size, it.takes so much power which is a specific amount of fuel to move your truck down the road. Since my truck.has.similar lift and similar tires(ive got 6" and 35x12.5) my observations.are that much more valid. Cruising at 65-70 my egts are at least 700. 800 wouldnt alarm me either. So far, what ive noticed.in 265k miles in my current truck is that injector size doesnt change much other than performance. It changes your hp peak. My truck had stg 2's for a year. My wife.didnt.even know.because.she.never used.the pedal hard enough. Thats how subtle they were. I mostly noticed them when passing or at throttle greater than 75%. My cruising.egts didnt increase or decrease. When I ditched my stock turbo for the 38r I dropped what I seem to think was 150-200deg of egt. Yours sound similar to mine man.

Tire size has a big effect on your egts. Somebody with stock.size.tires will have.vastly lower egts at 70mph.
That's a good point about tire size. I run slightly larger than stock- 285/75 R16's. I'm considering going to 305/55 R18's on my next set so it will be interesting to see the difference in EGT's.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yea both the tire sizes you listed are stock :D I meant actual oversized tires. Jk

rustbucket

Reaction score
Back on topic, OP if you have no leaks exhaust/boost and i assume you dont since you said you not leaking around your up-pipes and that you can peg your 35 psi gauge. Its prolly a combination of your tires, lift and bad tuning. Your sig says your running a dp tuner are you running their tunes? I've run them before and dont care for them much. I would switch to NLTD or gearhead (but thays just my opinion) and your tires and lift will affect you more then you think. For every inch of height you add to your tire you drop your rear gear ratio 0.10 roughly if your truck has 3.73's with 35" tires your actually around 3.33's makes a big difference towing once you start putting in bigger injectors.

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
all valid points guys, thanks. Yeah im running jodys tunes. Haven been for like the last 80K miles. Ive been tossing the idea back and forth about trying other tunes but dont want to have to buy a new chip etc. Wish i could get sample tunes.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I 100% disagree if unless your running 2 pryo's, reason being one pryo in one exhaust manifold only gives you the reading for half your engine, if you really wanna read egt accurately you need 2 pryo's, one per manifold in nearly the same spot in each manifold. If you don't wanna spend the extra money for both pryo's put the pryo in your down pipe as close to the turbo as possible that way you can get an idea of what both sides of your engine are running at

You could not be more wrong. A post turbo pyro will tell you NOTHING. Not one good thing comes from a post turbo pyro.

You think your watching both sides with a post turbo pyro, but in fact once they meet at the divided housing, your argument is over.

The only thing I gain from having two pyro's is knowing what side is acting up right away, rather then having to guess. If you have an issue causing high egt's on one side or another, you will feel it before it causes any damage. Unless your just an idiot.

5.5 inch lift on 35 toyo mt's

Ding Ding... There is your first issue...

You can have 1 prob in your manifold and it could be reading 900* and your other side could be reading 1050* and you would never know the difference if you want accurate egt reading you have to have a prob in either manifold

You will never experience this issue without first feeling it in the truck... None the less most injector issues cause cooler EGT's, be it from a broken nozzle, or a cup or what ever...

yeah i replied with tire and lift size 5.5 in on 35 toyo MT's. Just too much arguing on post turbo pre turbo i have 14 pyros in my truck etc haha. No lead foot, egts sit at 700 while on cruise on flat ground luggin. 800 at 70, and towing a trailer i can get them as high as i dare. AVG boost at 70 is 2-4 psi

Boost seems a little low for the 38R... I sit there or a bit higher with my H2e.

all valid points guys, thanks. Yeah im running jodys tunes. Haven been for like the last 80K miles. Ive been tossing the idea back and forth about trying other tunes but dont want to have to buy a new chip etc. Wish i could get sample tunes.

I always ran hotter with Jodys crap then with others, and louder too.

DocBar

Reaction score
Yea both the tire sizes you listed are stock :D I meant actual oversized tires. Jk
Damn, dude. You drinking tonight?

I'm a big fan of Gearhead tunes. I'm sure Jody can make yours right, though. I've never ran DP tunes, so I can't comment on how they normally run.

Like I said earlier, pulling a 12,500# 5er, I have to push the truck to hit 1250* and after 50% throttle, I get that permagrin feeling. As a matter of fact, I just did a sweet burnout for the guests at the hotel I'm at . They gave it a thumbs up.

TyCorr

Reaction score
No, doc. Not drinking. Well water but thats not what you mean.

Its kinda true what Im saying. I felt a change.going from 37s to 35s but thats pretty significant change. That 305 is what, a 33? I think 35s and 3.73s are perfect in a diesel. The 37s seemed ok too but a 4.10 might have been optimal.

TARM

Reaction score
For a more even comparison my when my Excursion was still stock turbo injectors Matt tunes did not break 1300 no matter what I did. His tunes are very efficient tunes while still getting you all the top end power those stockers can put out. No crazy timing advances or jacked up ICPs. No playing with pedal.throttle position %. Just smooth power that gives you the power based on the % of throttle you are giving it. Very clean as well. His and Bills tunes are very nice driving tunes. Have not had a chance to personally try all the various tunes but a fair number.

It may just need a tune tweak. But I think more people have boost leaks than realize it./ I thought mine in stock form did not have leaks. Did not see any soot on the firewall seemed to have good boost etc. When I tested I had leak on the intercooler boot. When I went to upgrade the turbo etc the uppipes were so loose they just lifted out. Still with only the faintest amount of soot on the firewall where you could see it. I am sure it was a good amount of exhaust gas flowing out around those pipes. Explained why I had some ( I considered quite light) smoke which from other tunes I had on other 7.3s and thought was perfectly fine but Matt said was not ok at all with his tunes. Well I knew why then.

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
switched to gearheads on a php Hydra and no change, actually runs a hair hotter. Im pretty frustrated with this thing. I have another thread up top that i started. I thought this one disappeared

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I've got one of Matt's tunes I am running rught now on my Hydra...

Shifting is spot on, EGT's run right at 700* with the cruse set at 70...

You have an issue... Be it a gauge, fuel or air... You have an issue.

Lang

Reaction score
Op has it always ran hot? How long have you had the probe in?

neverkickn

Reaction score
Drive pressure leaks aren't always visible. You could have leaks big enough to hinder performance without any indication other than what you can feel while driving.

Those up pipes can be trickey. I don't use any antisieze on the collector to charger mating surfaces as it can cause problems with getting a good fit if you use too much. I also mount the charger to the collector with the up pipes disconnected from the manifolds because if you can't move the collector then you can't allign it with the charger properly.

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
always seemed to run a hair hotter than the other truck around here. When i put the 35 toyos on it i saw a rise in the egts. Yesterday running 80 it was sitting at 5 psi and 900*. My dads excursion with leaky uppipes pulls the same load a lot cooler. He doesnt have a lift though, only a level with 285's

TyCorr

Reaction score
80mph at 5psi with 35's and stock gears(right?) isnt really that bad. 750 would be better but you're probably in a strange spot rpm wise for egts. If you slowed down I bet it'd drop pretty quick. Not that you have to just for sake of conversing.

Latest posts

Members online