Avg Egts with Hybrids and 38r

300000 and counting

Reaction score
Post turbo is completely useless. There is no average difference in temps between pre vs post. They could be 50 degrees apart, or they could be 500 degrees apart.

I 100% disagree if unless your running 2 pryo's, reason being one pryo in one exhaust manifold only gives you the reading for half your engine, if you really wanna read egt accurately you need 2 pryo's, one per manifold in nearly the same spot in each manifold. If you don't wanna spend the extra money for both pryo's put the pryo in your down pipe as close to the turbo as possible that way you can get an idea of what both sides of your engine are running at

rustbucket

Reaction score
Post turbo is useless, unless your interested in seeing how much heat your turbo is dissipating or maybe how much the cooler intake air is lower egt's inside the turbo, both have no value unless you run a 2000hp puller. To the OP what size tires do you have and is your lifted. Before i pulled the motor out of my 99 and put it in my 00 (99 got a 12v) egt's we're hard to keep down towing but it has 39" tires and a 8" lift

Gearhead

Reaction score
Care to explain this Matt?

A 1.0 holds a perfect 1:1 boost/drive up to 25lbs of boost or so. A bigger exhaust housing reduces the efficiency of the system until you get above that boost level. The housing isn't the issue in this case.

JD3020

Reaction score
I 100% disagree if unless your running 2 pryo's, reason being one pryo in one exhaust manifold only gives you the reading for half your engine, if you really wanna read egt accurately you need 2 pryo's, one per manifold in nearly the same spot in each manifold. If you don't wanna spend the extra money for both pryo's put the pryo in your down pipe as close to the turbo as possible that way you can get an idea of what both sides of your engine are running at

What?? Do you have any idea just how much that doesn't make sense? Post turbo readings are utterly useless. Who gives a **** that its measuring both sides now, theres no way to gauge anything off of it by reading post turbo.

FWIW i just got my gauges working today. I put 12k miles on my truck with 2's, and the pyro in the DP. Simply because when we installed the gauges we didn't have time to dick with the manifolds, and just never did it until i put the new engine in. My EGT's never used to read over 1000* unless i was WOT in the race tune just running the piss out of it. Cruising it showed me 400* on average.

Now with it in the manifold, i hit over 1100* in just a hot tune playing around, and cruising around 600, but it can drop down to 500 on flat ground or go over 700 on hills. Post turbo would've showed that as maybe a 50* difference all around.

300000 and counting

Reaction score
You can have 1 prob in your manifold and it could be reading 900* and your other side could be reading 1050* and you would never know the difference if you want accurate egt reading you have to have a prob in either manifold

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
You can have 1 prob in your manifold and it could be reading 900* and your other side could be reading 1050* and you would never know the difference if you want accurate egt reading you have to have a prob in either manifold

Putting it post turbo still wont tell you anything. So your argument right here is invalid.

bruce

Reaction score
i want to know the temp inches away from my combustion chamber to keep an eye on the pistons, not a few feet away in the downpipe

300000 and counting

Reaction score
Putting it post turbo still wont tell you anything. So your argument right here is invalid.

I don't understand how this comment doesn't make any since, for pre turbo 2 are better then one. I've done a few trucks with 2 pryo's in them, I did a 614 hp cr cummins engine 1 prob per 3 cylinders and that truck runs 25* different per manifold; he had an injector go bad and dump fuel into one cylinder, that piston would have been shot if it wasn't for the one prob reading 300* higher then the other one. Like I said two pryo in your up-pipe or manifold are best, one in your manifold/up-pipe only reads half your engine. One in your down pipe will let you if your truck is running to hot but not to the accuracy of two in your manifold

7.3 Whitey

Reaction score
Or just take a laser temp gun and see if there is a difference when you have a miss. I will be installing in a different location soon. Done with the derail....
Op any answers on tire size? Maybe a lead foot?

DocBar

Reaction score
I don't understand how this comment doesn't make any since, for pre turbo 2 are better then one. I've done a few trucks with 2 pryo's in them, I did a 614 hp cr cummins engine 1 prob per 3 cylinders and that truck runs 25* different per manifold; he had an injector go bad and dump fuel into one cylinder, that piston would have been shot if it wasn't for the one prob reading 300* higher then the other one. Like I said two pryo in your up-pipe or manifold are best, one in your manifold/up-pipe only reads half your engine. One in your down pipe will let you if your truck is running to hot but not to the accuracy of two in your manifold
Are you saying you had a cr Crummins with 2 pyro's in one exhaust manifold? If so, that's valid. Your original post said to put probes in the downpipe, post turbo. Huge difference in a probe in each exhaust manifold and a probe in the downpipe.

I do agree with a pyro in each bank of a V8. I will have one in each bank after I install headers and get all of my other goodies put on.

DocBar

Reaction score
see thats what i mean, youre running larger injectors and same turbo basically hauling the same weight and i can have my EGTs get as hot as i want if i put my foot in it on flat ground
When I run tunes from other tuners, I can hit 1600* in the blink of an eye. Having used several different tuners, it's my opinion that you just can't beat custom, live tunes. The approach tuners take is also a big consideration. I like Gearhead tunes because my truck drives like a stocker at <50%, for the most part. My cruise control is usable, smoke is minimal and I have to reeeaaalllyyy push my truck, with a load behind it, to crack 1250* in all tunes.

Maybe you should contact your tuner and talk to them about your issues. If you have access to a data logger, like AE, you can log some runs and send the info to your tuner so they can see what's going on and tweak your tunes or diagnose your issue.

TyCorr

Reaction score
If your truck is running right, why the ***k would you need 2 pyros? Its not like you're going to pull fuel in one bank to get your egts dead even which they probably are. If one bank hits dangerous egts and the other doesnt you're gonna have bigger problems real.fast.

Pyro probe in the downpipe is utterly useless. No point at all.

If you're totally obsessive tap the exhaust housing for a probe. I wouldnt but that will give you an avg temperature.

Thats just what I want is another fuggin gauge to watch.

Joe has a pyro in each manifold, maybe he'll chime in.

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
yeah i replied with tire and lift size 5.5 in on 35 toyo MT's. Just too much arguing on post turbo pre turbo i have 14 pyros in my truck etc haha. No lead foot, egts sit at 700 while on cruise on flat ground luggin. 800 at 70, and towing a trailer i can get them as high as i dare. AVG boost at 70 is 2-4 psi

300000 and counting

Reaction score
Are you saying you had a cr Crummins with 2 pyro's in one exhaust manifold? If so, that's valid. Your original post said to put probes in the downpipe, post turbo. Huge difference in a probe in each exhaust manifold and a probe in the downpipe.

I do agree with a pyro in each bank of a V8. I will have one in each bank after I install headers and get all of my other goodies put on.

That's what I'm saying the manifold we used had 2 seperate side so one pryo watched 3 cylinders. I was saying one in the down pipe is okay, it's not the best but its better then nothing.

7.3 Whitey

Reaction score
Well then...factory tune (****ty egts with .84 housing) compared to a little more fuel on a no emissions tune and 1.0 housing. Unless there's a leak (holds 35#s boost, no soot on up pipes).

I would (in my VERY limited psd experience) tuning/manifolds/intercooler. I would check the latter. Its seems like any easy check, and even if you don't find anything pipes will be shiny and cac will be clean.
Lmfao on two probes one manifold... How about one per cylinder? Just drill into the block and see what she's really doing!!! Sorry OP

DocBar

Reaction score
If your truck is running right, why the ***k would you need 2 pyros? Its not like you're going to pull fuel in one bank to get your egts dead even which they probably are. If one bank hits dangerous egts and the other doesnt you're gonna have bigger problems real.fast.

Pyro probe in the downpipe is utterly useless. No point at all.

If you're totally obsessive tap the exhaust housing for a probe. I wouldnt but that will give you an avg temperature.

Thats just what I want is another fuggin gauge to watch.

Joe has a pyro in each manifold, maybe he'll chime in.
Different strokes for different folks. A pyro in each manifold would cut your problem in half, when you do notice a difference.

If you don't want two pyro's, don't run two. I don't mind watching gauges because it gives me something to do on long hauls, which I do regularly, and I can hopefully shut down the truck before a minor issue becomes a major issue.

BTW, you may have a point with fuggin gauges to watch. Joe has eleventythreehundred of them and goes through motors like I go through socks. Yes, I have socks older than Joe's last two motors. LOL

OP, sorry for the derails.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Different strokes for different folks. A pyro in each manifold would cut your problem in half, when you do notice a difference.

If you don't want two pyro's, don't run two. I don't mind watching gauges because it gives me something to do on long hauls, which I do regularly, and I can hopefully shut down the truck before a minor issue becomes a major issue.

BTW, you may have a point with fuggin gauges to watch. Joe has eleventythreehundred of them and goes through motors like I go through socks. Yes, I have socks older than Joe's last two motors. LOL

OP, sorry for the derails.

Joe had a low compression used motor in his.truck last time. Yea he.put 80k on that motor with hybrids and a modded turbo. Thats not.really anything to balk at. My point was simple. If it was worthwhile, the common gauge loadout.for our trucks wouldnt be three.gauges. It would be four. Is it important to have a pyro? Yes. Why stop there? Put one in each corner of the manifold! LOL Like I said if you are concerned put it in the colllector and if shtf you'll know quick.

You're right do as you wish. Hey I hear you can get some cool chrome.vents for your front.fenders. Be sure to get four for.each side.

DocBar

Reaction score
Joe had a low compression used motor in his.truck last time. Yea he.put 80k on that motor with hybrids and a modded turbo. Thats not.really anything to balk at. My point was simple. If it was worthwhile, the common gauge loadout.for our trucks wouldnt be three.gauges. It would be four. Is it important to have a pyro? Yes. Why stop there? Put one in each corner of the manifold! LOL Like I said if you are concerned put it in the colllector and if shtf you'll know quick.

You're right do as you wish. Hey I hear you can get some cool chrome.vents for your front.fenders. Be sure to get four for.each side.
Wow. I was poking a little fun at Joe because of his gauges, and myself for having old socks. I wasn't insulting him. Sorry. Didn't mean to offend you.

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Im not offended. If i was that sensitive I would.have decamped.for.greener pastures a long time ago. Like when guys started linking to youtube of.themself bending horseshoes.over.their.head to.scare me.

To the op- i personally dont.think your egts are that bad. Cruising, regardless of injector size, it.takes so much power which is a specific amount of fuel to move your truck down the road. Since my truck.has.similar lift and similar tires(ive got 6" and 35x12.5) my observations.are that much more valid. Cruising at 65-70 my egts are at least 700. 800 wouldnt alarm me either. So far, what ive noticed.in 265k miles in my current truck is that injector size doesnt change much other than performance. It changes your hp peak. My truck had stg 2's for a year. My wife.didnt.even know.because.she.never used.the pedal hard enough. Thats how subtle they were. I mostly noticed them when passing or at throttle greater than 75%. My cruising.egts didnt increase or decrease. When I ditched my stock turbo for the 38r I dropped what I seem to think was 150-200deg of egt. Yours sound similar to mine man.

Tire size has a big effect on your egts. Somebody with stock.size.tires will have.vastly lower egts at 70mph.

Latest posts

Members online