bed liner coating on valve covers

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Archie Cochrane Ford
2133 King Avenue West
Billings MT
Phone: 406-656-1103

That's the ONLY one in Montana.

I was hoping that there was one in CDA, ID or in Spokane, WA but nothing on this side of the state at all. Looks like if I decide to do this and use Reflex, then I'm gonna be shipping mine.

Thanks!!! Looks like I might have to buy a extra set of VC. :D

Strokersace

Reaction score
Thanks!!! Looks like I might have to buy a extra set of VC. :D

Powerstroke Cowboy, I called to Archie Ford last week to see what it'd cost to get them done there. He said in the neighborhood of $150 and if I wanted any other color than black, then $200. The guy there was less than enthusiastic about the possiblity of doing them. Bickered and dilly dikked around and acted like they could give a chit less. I asked about turn around time... A WEEK TO 10 DAYS!!!! Needless to say, they lost my potential business.

I have checked all around this area and the only Reflex dealer is south of me 3.5 hours in Idaho. I could send them there, but then I pay tax on what they charge (MT is a no sales tax state). I'm looking now at a Linex here locally. I talked to them today and he's done several motor components, just not on diesels. He did stress that it will hold in heat more. $75 for up to 1/8" thick. More $$ if I want it thicker than that. Right now they only have black but they can paint them with a urethane based paint of any color I'd want. If they spray it on when the liner is still hot, then it'll bond even better. It'll cost approx. $40 more for the paint. So I'm going to go that route. $125 gets me lined and painted valve covers.

DAN - have you driven it much since you found your boost leak to determine if the egt's, oil, and water temps are any higher than before since you've coated the v/c's?

cowboy_dan

Reaction score
DAN - have you driven it much since you found your boost leak to determine if the egt's, oil, and water temps are any higher than before since you've coated the v/c's?

I've got between 1500 and 2000 miles on it since I got it put on. The high EGTs I saw before were from a boost leak. EGTs are back down where they have been for years (70MPH, cruising = ~700 degF).
I don't have any other pre-coating numbers to compare to. Coolant temp isn't up according to the dash gauge.

Wouldn't herculiner work??

Herculiner might work, but it'd probably be a lot of work to get it on thick enough to make a difference. That's why I like this Reflex liner. It goes on thick normally, and it's kinda rubbery, so in theory it should absorb more noise than a more rigid coating.

Strokersace

Reaction score
I've got between 1500 and 2000 miles on it since I got it put on. The high EGTs I saw before were from a boost leak. EGTs are back down where they have been for years (70MPH, cruising = ~700 degF).
I don't have any other pre-coating numbers to compare to. Coolant temp isn't up according to the dash gauge.

Do you have a scanguage or anything to see what your oil temps are doing?

As for the hard vs. rubbery liner, I'd rather have the rubbery liner also, but can't find anything local to do it for a decent cost. And actually, when I was there today, they had some pop cans that were lined. The aluminum ones are obviously tinny and crush easily. The coated cans had a dull thud when I tapped on it. And it was pretty rigid.

I'm going to see how much more it is to go to 1/4" thick. If it's not that much more, then I'll go that route.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Powerstroke Cowboy, I called to Archie Ford last week to see what it'd cost to get them done there. He said in the neighborhood of $150 and if I wanted any other color than black, then $200. The guy there was less than enthusiastic about the possiblity of doing them. Bickered and dilly dikked around and acted like they could give a chit less. I asked about turn around time... A WEEK TO 10 DAYS!!!! Needless to say, they lost my potential business.

I have checked all around this area and the only Reflex dealer is south of me 3.5 hours in Idaho. I could send them there, but then I pay tax on what they charge (MT is a no sales tax state). I'm looking now at a Linex here locally. I talked to them today and he's done several motor components, just not on diesels. He did stress that it will hold in heat more. $75 for up to 1/8" thick. More $$ if I want it thicker than that. Right now they only have black but they can paint them with a urethane based paint of any color I'd want. If they spray it on when the liner is still hot, then it'll bond even better. It'll cost approx. $40 more for the paint. So I'm going to go that route. $125 gets me lined and painted valve covers.

Thanks you!!!! I think I will steer clear of them to. I "think" there might be a place in williston ND that might do it for me. And that is only 54 miles from me. So I think I will go that route.. Thanks again for your help!!!!

cowboy_dan

Reaction score
Do you have a scanguage or anything to see what your oil temps are doing?

Nope. Just AE, and I don't like to leave it hooked up while I'm driving. I don't need the laptop taking a dive to the floor.

As for the hard vs. rubbery liner, I'd rather have the rubbery liner also, but can't find anything local to do it for a decent cost. And actually, when I was there today, they had some pop cans that were lined. The aluminum ones are obviously tinny and crush easily. The coated cans had a dull thud when I tapped on it. And it was pretty rigid.

I'm going to see how much more it is to go to 1/4" thick. If it's not that much more, then I'll go that route.

Why don't you call the place I used and see if they'll do it if you ship the covers to them. Everybody there I talked to was pretty friendly, so they might just be up for it.

And if you can get the covers in a Flat Rate box from the post office, shipping is pretty cheap.

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Could one put a coat on the top part of the inside of the valve cover?

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Its a 6.0 ill have to put a new motor in it before the bed liner peels off

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.