bed liner coating on valve covers

Strokersace

Reaction score
Dan I'd ship them but they're too long for a usps flat rate box. I'm just going to have them line-x'd here.

Well I'd hoped to have them propped the other night and potentially already back, but work's been crazy so they won't go in till Monday at the soonest. I'll post up some picks when they're done.

cowboy_dan

Reaction score
Dan I'd ship them but they're too long for a usps flat rate box. I'm just going to have them line-x'd here.

Well I'd hoped to have them propped the other night and potentially already back, but work's been crazy so they won't go in till Monday at the soonest. I'll post up some picks when they're done.

Well, it was worth a try.

Let us know how you like it.

Strokersace

Reaction score
Well Here's mine. Got them back on Friday. LineX approx. 3/16" thick with Ford Red Duplacolor engine enamel paint sprayed on them when they were still hot after the LineX went on. Got a really good bond. He shot the CCV seperately but it has a great seal so I'm not worried about it leaking. I really wanted it sep so that it could be removed if need be. As for the bolt holes, I picked up some thin stainless washers to go under the factory flanged bolts. He recommended doing this as it's worked on other VC's they've shot. The washer will sink/dig into/grip the liner and the bolt will still be able to torque down. Going to use a little loc-tite just to be safe. The only thing I'm wondering is if the stock bolts will be long enough with the liner and washer in there. If not, then I'm going to get longer stainless bolts to replace them with.

Should have the motor finished this weekend and hope to have it back in and running by the weekend following. I can't wait!

IMAG0079.jpg

Strokersace

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I'm really happy with how they turned out. Can't wait to get the block painted and these on it. I think it's going to look killer!

I'm a stickler for "subtle custom" on my trucks. Want it to look a like it "could be" stock, but it's not. Need to modify the oil pickup tube and get the pan resealed. Then the motor is getting paint. Some misc bolts to paint and it'll be ready to go back together!

I'll post up pics of the completed project and let you guys know if it makes any difference in sound.

Lowdown89

Reaction score
i know this is an old thread, but i just finally got a spare set of VC's today... has anyone here actually tried the hurculiner in a spray can? all the places around here act like im talking about there wife or mamma when i ask if they can spray them so i guess im just gonna try and do it myself

03_PSD

Reaction score
Don't see why it wouldn't work. Personally I would rather roll it on, just make sure you've cleaned and preped them first.

Remember the pics when your done.

Lowdown89

Reaction score
Don't see why it wouldn't work. Personally I would rather roll it on, just make sure you've cleaned and preped them first.

Remember the pics when your done.

Yeah I might brush it on, I have seen a few different kits at the auto parts stores just don't want to have to buy a whole kit to get the roll on kind when all I'm gonna do is the valve covers... And I will make sure to take pictures of whatever kind of outcome I get lol

RedSmokey

Reaction score
I used some rubberized undercoating stuff, I think duplicolor. Seemed alright, But I changed injectors at the same time so I didn't really have the opportunity to make a fair comparison on noise difference.
317285_2038072509694_1180686263_1827656_4006574_n.jpg

TRUBBS

Reaction score
I did mine on my obs 2 years ago, line x'ed the pan & valve covers. Still seams to be holding up fine.

Also,I sand blasted my covers & pan for prep

Lowdown89

Reaction score
I did mine on my obs 2 years ago, line x'ed the pan & valve covers. Still seams to be holding up fine.

Also,I sand blasted my covers & pan for prep

I called the local line x place and they pretty much blew me off and just generally didn't seem real interested in doing it, the rhino lining place said $$45 a valve cover... That's why I was looking for a DIY option that would old up reasonably well. I'm not expecting whatever I do to hold up as well as a professional product but if It quests things down and looks decent for a while I will do it

Strokersace

Reaction score
Cost me $150 for mine linex'd and painted. I did the prep myself. So $90 is pretty good. You gotta look at temp ratings of the diy stuff. That's why I went with linex cause they've got good ranges.

Also, i didn't notice much noise diff cause I changed so many other things on the motor at the same time. They still look grest though and holding up well. Need to get installed pics posted.

Lowdown89

Reaction score
The temp range on the DEI boom spray stuff was like 300-400 degrees what's your line x rated at? The covers I got are pretty nasty so I'm about to go take some greaser and hit up the local self serve car wash and then hit em with a flapper wheel when I'm done. What did you do wth you Ccv box? Did you leave it on? Or take it off andhave them just tape up the holes?

Strokersace

Reaction score
It's either beet to cover with them attached, or mask off the mounting areas of both. He sprayed mine separately and didn't mask them. It eventually started seeping oil. So I had to peal off the liner from the ccv and the vc.

Latest posts

Members online