Best 2.6 charger for a 7.3?

Reaction score
Whatever you do don't buy a D66, I regret every minute I drive my truck, doesn't lite until 1900rpm and at 60 mph if you just tip in it rolls the coal... Not exactly what I wanted at all.. I can't believe Michigan doesn't setup some different turbo rules.. For crying out loud they have been the home of some thee most winning prostock and super stock semis..

cbf9703

Reaction score
I've always wondered how much head work had been done to Double Overtimes Heads to flow that much air... A 2.6 charger in all respects is a small charger for the 7.3, and you're right, I'm gonna use Mondello for the cylinder head work, they have more experience than anyone in the business, they've done dozens of heads for big time NTPA tractors and the best part is they are only an hr and a half from where I live which is huge, who would you recommend for tuning this whole mess..
If you're in middle TN, you've got a couple big options locally that will make live tuning easier. Always go with a shop you trust, but there is a lot to be said about proximity and not having to get a tuner to drive 12 hours to live tune your set up.

Running a P-pump, my question is porting the heads worth the money? I know you have an ability to inject fuel much more I guess you could say smoothly at upper RPMs where HEUI tends to fall off, is spending 2k plus on cylinder heads worth it??

Yes, even with a p-pump, although I'm still not sure why you're set on Mondello. They're the chit for oldsmobiles, but don't have much experience with PSDs, unless a lot has changed since I talked with them last summer. You said you've talked with Golfer, have you discussed heads with him? Word on the street is Swamps is doing a lot with head work for the 7.3 right now, swing up there and check out their flow bench if you want to see numbers.

Reaction score
Mondello has been porting heads for big NTPA tractor pullers for years, and they've had a CNC program for about a year now, I talked to a few tractor pullers in Hazel Green and a few of them used Mondello for their headwork.. Check out their website and give C.J. a call.. Oldsmobiles are not thee only heads they port I can promise you that..

cbf9703

Reaction score
Mondello has been porting heads for big NTPA tractor pullers for years, and they've had a CNC program for about a year now, I talked to a few tractor pullers in Hazel Green and a few of them used Mondello for their headwork.. Check out their website and give C.J. a call.. Oldsmobiles are not thee only heads they port I can promise you that..

Believe me, I'm familiar. My point was that Oldsmobiles are their bread and butter and what brought them their level of success (even C.J. won't deny that). Yes, they offer a lot of other head work and have had success with tractor pullers. I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just curious why you're so set on them when there are diesel shops that are trying to push 7.3 heads as far as they can go. IMO it makes sense to at least talk to shops that are specifically testing and looking to maximize 7.3 head flow since that's what you will be running. We all learn from experience, just throwing out my .02...

Reaction score
Man you're 100% right, I just haven't seen swamps CNC stuff on the dyno yet, I know Mondello up in Crossville has been CNC machining for years, and I know Swamps is one of the top 7.3 shops period, not to mention I'm really fortunate to be very close to Full Force. I will be running Swamps IDM and their Gen 3 indefinitely and few other goodies as well... I have a gut feeling they will be the first to 1000hp on fuel only heui, Golfer is a super knowledgeable guy and Jonathon is great as well. And when I talked with Golfer even he said head flow is what is holding the common rail project back.. The amount of dedication some of these men have put into their work, Swamps, Full Force, Dyno Proven, Carson ST, and many others, we all have alot to thank. I mean goodness look back 10 years ago when we thought B codes were the baddest thing and a chop idle was cool. Yeah we have alot of obstacles, its not as cheap as 5.9 to build, NOR EASY, and in the last 4 Years alot of P-pump trucks have finally made it onto the scene. I just am a Die hard 7.3 guy, I like all the engines that are out there, Cummins, Duramax, they're all fine engines. But no matter how bad someone dogs the 7.3 I'll always keep trying lol...

Last edited:

cbf9703

Reaction score
Man you're 100% right, I just haven't seen swamps CNC stuff on the dyno yet, I know Mondello up in Crossville has been CNC machining for years, and I know Swamps is one of the top 7.3 shops period, not to mention I'm really fortunate to be very close to Full Force. I will be running Swamps IDM and their Gen 3 indefinitely and few other goodies as well... I have a gut feeling they will be the first to 1000hp on fuel only heui, Golfer is a super knowledgeable guy and Jonathon is great as well. And when I talked with Golfer even he said head flow is what is holding the common rail project back.. The amount of dedication some of these men have put into their work, Swamps, Full Force, Dyno Proven, Carson ST, and many others, we all have alot to thank. I mean goodness look back 10 years ago when we thought B codes were the baddest thing and a chop idle was cool. Yeah we have alot of obstacles, its not as cheap as 5.9 to build, NOR EASY, and in the last 4 Years alot of P-pump trucks have finally made it onto the scene. I just am a Die hard 7.3 guy, I like all the engines that are out there, Cummins, Duramax, they're all fine engines. But no matter how bad someone dogs the 7.3 I'll always keep trying lol...

I agree. It's amazing how far we've come in the last 10 years. I remember watching the first diesel sub-7 second 1/4 mile pass and thinking "holy sh!t" Scheids did it! That was back when it was really something to get a truck to hit 11s. We've come a LONG way, but 7.3s are still air starved. There are shops that are still working on that even though there are cheaper and easier ways to make power... there's still 7.3 love out there and a few other crazy diehards around. lol

Reaction score
Head porting will always help if done right. But the pulling truck called "stroked out" had very basic porting and was competitive in 3.0 and was well over 1000hp. P-pump, good turbo and port however you can and I guarantee you will be competitive if you get the rest of the truck set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I agree with you Morgan, that P-pump throws the fuel in there quite a bit better and at high RPM it really shines every time those pretty little plungers go up and down, just wish a good 13mm pump wasn't 5k lol!!! Not to mention all the parts and pieces to make it work together smoothly!! What kinda trans set up to most run in the 3.0 open class?? I imagine a dana 110 or a dana 130 rear is mandatory at that point.

Reaction score
3.0 runs an open driveline. So basically a single speed reverser Trans and a quick change transfer case. And a rear end from a big truck. Rockwell 106 are pretty much all but phased out as they don't really hold up. I have an sqhd rear and some are going to the 20-145.

2.6 is cheaper because you just stay with a 1 ton driveline. But breakage is much more common in 2.6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I have a truck running 400/400s with an S400 based 2.6 charger with a 96mm turbine wheel here in central Ohio. It runs well and still has a stock bottom end - In the COTPC it is just a fun ride that winds up just behind the big dogs. - at some of the brush pulls its a contender - but its seldom a class winner.

DMDP

Reaction score
At your local farm fair, if no duramaxs show up... I personally wouldn't waste your time on expensive turbos while your still running heui injectors. Go buy a larger s4 and have some fun pulling. If you really enjoy it and you want to be competitive, start dropping some serious cash and go mechanical. Whether it's 6 or 8 cylinders.

Latest posts

Members online