Best 2.6 charger for a 7.3?

Reaction score
Thanks for the positive words DMDP, if I get serious I will be making a trip to Buddy Gambills Surplus on Hwy 231 to scour the yard for a 9000 series 8 cylinder pump if I ever make it that far.. I'm more worried about the 14mm pumped 12v's at this point... Thinking 400/400s, S400 based charger, a gen 3, some decent heads and enjoy it at this point.:D

gwunter

Reaction score
Wasnt HRT working on injectors bigger than 400/400s here a while back?? I never read about any testing on them.

To the OP, do you have access to a shop for machining/fabbing purposes on the cheap?? I ask this because if you go the p-pump route it could really save some money to put elsewhere.....but comes with a big investment of personal time. Several pieces can me made with little complexity. I'm working on a home brew mech 7.3l, but I started this other, more important project, here recently.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Wasnt HRT working on injectors bigger than 400/400s here a while back?? I never read about any testing on them.

There are so many things that happen that never get published to the forums. Yes I have 750cc injectors. No you can't buy them. There is a truck sitting in my shop that will be the first to have them where the public can view them in action.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
There are so many things that happen that never get published to the forums. Yes I have 750cc injectors. No you can't buy them. There is a truck sitting in my shop that will be the first to have them where the public can view them in action.
holy mother of god!!! what type of oil pump will it take to run those? triple bts or triple termies?

live life full throttle

Reaction score
Ya know Hot Rod Tractor you're my hero, you keep innovating behind the scenes when others give up!! When I talked to Cass his exact words were, "when you can clear what fuel you have with even 450/400s I'll get you some more fuel".. Even others know the possibilities in CNC and understand physics... I will be waiting patiently on your video of this truck in action..

Last edited:
Reaction score

To the OP, do you have access to a shop for machining/fabbing purposes on the cheap?? I ask this because if you go the p-pump route it could really save some money to put elsewhere.....but comes with a big investment of personal time. Several pieces can me made with little complexity. I'm working on a home brew mech 7.3l, but I started this other, more important project, here recently.

Yes, just because you see $15k p-pump setups, doesn't meant you have to spend $15k to do it. Get a pump and a old motor and build something. Lotta people think you have to gear drive a p-pump.... There is a very good running cummins in a Chevy truck with a passenger side p-pump custom belt drive setup. Qualified both days at Schieds I believe.

The real question like all big injectors, can you empty and refill them fast enough? Serious question. I knew you had some, just curious how they worked on the bench? If you could get the fuel out and still fire fast enough to get 4000 rpms and have fuel for 1200 hp. I do want to see how it ends up.

Ya know Hot Rod Tractor you're my hero, you keep innovating behind the scenes when others give up!! When I talked to Cass his exact words were, "when you can clear what fuel you have with even 450/400s I'll get you some more fuel".. Even others know the possibilities in CNC and understand physics... I will be waiting patiently on your video of this truck in action..

You can undoubtedly have fun with a heui setup. If that's your goal. A lot of people look at pulling is whoever has the most money wins. I compete with guys that have 2-3 times more money in their trucks. We build everything on our trucks but the turbo. About a low budget as we can and stay competitive. It's not always about what you can afford, it's about what you can build or invent.

006185ff0433c8405af25ba9ea5e8b8a.jpg

Can't buy any of this online or out of a catalog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gwunter

Reaction score
A well set up home machine shop is what I mean by machining on the cheap. A guy doesn't have to buy newer equipment. There is a lot of good old machines out there that are in good shape that a home machinist will never wear out.....at great prices. That 3k$ front cover for the Hmax mechanical setup will go a long way in buying a manual mill to machine out your own cover. Will it be as pretty, probably not; but no one will care when it gets the job done on the track. Sorry.....derail over. I have a lot more respect for guys that have literally created large parts of their projects verses buying and bolting. Nothing against buying and bolting, I just like to incorporate 2 hobbies in 1...power strokes and machining. Lol. Carry on

Reaction score
It think even on a gear drive set up, if you had the time.... the time to sit down and figure out exactly what you needed, and spend hrs fabricating a cover, kinda set up like a 3406E/C15 have an inner geartrain plate, the pump mounts to the plate, fab up an intermediate housing out of aluminum, and then a tin front cover to cover it all up. Would have to machine the bottom for the LPOP but you could steal the demensions and ports from the old cover.. or be cool and set up a dry sump system...

NyCowboy87

Reaction score

DMDP

Reaction score
I heard maybe just open rear end rule. I doubt they will go full open. Otherwise there is no advantage to not go 3.0. And I'm not happy about the cut tire deal. That's stupid imo. Takes away from the class.

Even if they only allow open rears for 2016, everyone will be whining for drop boxs and reversers for 2017. Unless a line is drawn, one of the 2 classes will fall apart soon...

Reaction score
Even if they only allow open rears for 2016, everyone will be whining for drop boxs and reversers for 2017. Unless a line is drawn, one of the 2 classes will fall apart soon...

I don't really see that. The only reason people want big rear ends is because the one ton rears are costing so much to keep ring and opinions in them. For the most part if the rears stay together the rest doesn't break. I can't see the advantage to reverser and drop box in a full oem chassis class like 2.6. Imo the big rears are a must or they need to limit the hp in the class in some way. The ring and pinions are not taking it anymore. No matter what is done. It's drove a lot of people away from 2.6 for that reason. It's really a budget, easy class to enter except for the rear ends. Who wants to spend $8k on a one ton rear end just to destroy it every few hooks. Especially when a very mild 106 or sqhd would hold all day long in a 2.6 truck. Doesn't add power or reduce weight. Just adds reliability in a class that's getting expensive to keep a truck together in.

Reaction score
My two cents on the 2.6 class is it should be an affordable class that is competive in a sense.. Heres my rule book idears: 2.6a charger, 600cc fuel per cylinder limit, compression ratio no less than 16.5:1, Engine, Trans, Transfer Case and Rear end must come from 1 ton pickup, ballast allowed, would have to figure out a reasonable weight imop, Traction aids allowed and all other safety rules enforced. 3.0 should be an open class where anything goes on one 3.0 charger, that would level the playing feild. I don't see any 1 ton rear end holding up to an 850 cc 14mm P-pumped engine..

Last edited:

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
Believe it or not we had a pro stock class up here that was unlimited single or 3.2" atmosphere twins, stock driveline. There were 2 trucks that I know for a fact that we're over 1600hp and drivelines were holding up. You just can't glue them to the ground. Choose the right tire, gearing and weight spin the tires and don't lug the piss out of it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.