Best 2.6 charger for a 7.3?

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
The real question like all big injectors, can you empty and refill them fast enough? Serious question. I knew you had some, just curious how they worked on the bench? If you could get the fuel out and still fire fast enough to get 4000 rpms and have fuel for 1200 hp. I do want to see how it ends up.

I don't want to get into the details on the forum - but over 1khp should be doable, it might eek out 1.2khp, but that will be everything it has - to get any more will require a whole lot more work and a revamp of everything. Of course this is based on bench flow and calculations referencing everything else that we have done over the years.

DMDP

Reaction score
I don't really see that. The only reason people want big rear ends is because the one ton rears are costing so much to keep ring and opinions in them. For the most part if the rears stay together the rest doesn't break. I can't see the advantage to reverser and drop box in a full oem chassis class like 2.6. Imo the big rears are a must or they need to limit the hp in the class in some way. The ring and pinions are not taking it anymore. No matter what is done. It's drove a lot of people away from 2.6 for that reason. It's really a budget, easy class to enter except for the rear ends. Who wants to spend $8k on a one ton rear end just to destroy it every few hooks. Especially when a very mild 106 or sqhd would hold all day long in a 2.6 truck. Doesn't add power or reduce weight. Just adds reliability in a class that's getting expensive to keep a truck together in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I first want to state I'm not here to argue. Just saying how I see it. First off, if your spending 8k on a 1ton rear, your getting screwed. Under Half that will get you a bullet proof dana 80.

I attended Scheids and both rudys event this year as a spectator and spent the entire time studying all the 2.6 trucks there and how each acted on the track. I also spend a lot of time watching guys bi#ch on comp d, Facebook, or whatever. 1 thing I have put together is that FOR THE MOST PART, the trucks that are blowing rears apart, and guys who are complaining and whining for open rears the most are guys that have ZERO time in their chassis. When you slap a set of joe shamoes traction bars on your truck, build some contraption of a hitch and drop a 1200 hp engine in front of it, your damn right it's gonna break. Especially if you just dump the clutch off the line and shock the driveline every single hook. If your getting 2 hooks outta a R&P, your doing something wrong. Whether it's the way the gears are setup, driving style, or your chassis design or lack there of. I've spoken with a few top PPL guys who will say the same thing. And you don't see them whining for open rears.

And as for only allowing open rears. Give them what they want, it's only human nature to keep asking for more...

2.6 allows welded in rears. Use it!

Reaction score
I first want to state I'm not here to argue. Just saying how I see it. First off, if your spending 8k on a 1ton rear, your getting screwed. Under Half that will get you a bullet proof dana 80.

I attended Scheids and both rudys event this year as a spectator and spent the entire time studying all the 2.6 trucks there and how each acted on the track. I also spend a lot of time watching guys bi#ch on comp d, Facebook, or whatever. 1 thing I have put together is that FOR THE MOST PART, the trucks that are blowing rears apart, and guys who are complaining and whining for open rears the most are guys that have ZERO time in their chassis. When you slap a set of joe shamoes traction bars on your truck, build some contraption of a hitch and drop a 1200 hp engine in front of it, your damn right it's gonna break. Especially if you just dump the clutch off the line and shock the driveline every single hook. If your getting 2 hooks outta a R&P, your doing something wrong. Whether it's the way the gears are setup, driving style, or your chassis design or lack there of. I've spoken with a few top PPL guys who will say the same thing. And you don't see them whining for open rears.

And as for only allowing open rears. Give them what they want, it's only human nature to keep asking for more...

2.6 allows welded in rears. Use it!

I understand. I'm not arguing. I love these discussions. I don't know if you've spent much time looking at or watching my truck. But I have everything in my chassis pushed to the limit. I am not the highest hp truck. But I make up for it with a very good chassis setup. I don't have $8k in an Dana 80 either. Your not going to break anything in it. But find me a ring and pinion that won't spider web after two or three hook and I'll buy you dinner. I was getting 2-4 hooks before they were cracking enough to where I replace them. After 1 hook they have a crack in every other tooth, after two they are in every tooth, after three some have two cracks and after four if it makes to that long they have two or three cracked in every tooth and may start to chip small pieces off. Pinion is set deep, ring is set to zero lash. It could make more hooks before it might let go. But last time something in the rear broke this happened...
6b1132148e9eeac3f475c3fa76082b4f.jpg
2cf0c1916bbc9caeb9723abd584df995.jpg

I don't know how much better it can be set up. I'm running with PPL points trucks. And I know several of them that have some similar catastrophic drivetrain failures several times a season. Most are 2-4 hooks on a R&P. Hell even the caged hooker (rob halls) whose truck hooks amazingly well broke a R&P almost every other hook. One of the reasons he decided to move on.

http://youtu.be/eIQ_E66oGxw

Like I said. Not arguing. But this is my first hand experience being a 2.6 competitive truck and having ppl experience. Thus another reason I am running full 3.0 next season.

Reaction score
Oh, and I'm fully welded axle in rear. Plus some.. Long ways from a leaf spring and traction bar setup. I've been pulling for a long time. Not just diesels either. Used to run a modified gas 6200# truck. Hook that with 4 tires 1000hp, and 133" wheelbase!

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I agree - it seems like many of the top 2.6 guys are on borrowed time for ring and pinion gears. I know several that keep them on the shelf and change them out every 3 or 4 hooks because they know one more hook is a guaranteed failure.

Reaction score
Very nice truck Morgan!!! Would a drop in center style rear end out of an F550 work?? Like a Dana 135, I know those are a pretty big rear?? Or are we looking at a little 18,000lb rated single now?? SQHDs come in many sizes and setups, do know the weight rating on it??

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
Very nice truck Morgan!!! Would a drop in center style rear end out of an F550 work?? Like a Dana 135, I know those are a pretty big rear?? Or are we looking at a little 18,000lb rated single now?? SQHDs come in many sizes and setups, do know the weight rating on it??

If it didnt come standard in a 1 ton truck, you cant run it.

DMDP

Reaction score
Oh, and I'm fully welded axle in rear. Plus some.. Long ways from a leaf spring and traction bar setup. I've been pulling for a long time. Not just diesels either. Used to run a modified gas 6200# truck. Hook that with 4 tires 1000hp, and 133" wheelbase!

You've got a great running truck. Seen it in person and we were all impressed. So I'm not doubting your ability to build a good running truck. But from the pictures I've seen in your build thread, I don't consider that to be welded solid. I see room for improvement. Any flex or movement in the hitch, axle, and frame is going to load and unload the rear which is definitely not helping them stay alive. But hey, it's just my opinion

Here's a glimpse at what I consider welded in
D03DFF0E-064C-4464-82DA-2CC7DFA57DB9.jpg

Open rears, I don't think it's needed and feel it's not good for the class, but if they want to allow it, Ill look at it as an advantage for someone who can make a 80 live. I'll throw a ring and pinion in every couple hooks for what, another 100lbs that can go up front. :toast:

Reaction score
But from the pictures I've seen in your build thread, I don't consider that to be welded solid. I see room for improvement. Any flex or movement in the hitch, axle, and frame is going to load and unload the rear which is definitely not helping them stay alive. But hey, it's just my opinion

Here's a glimpse at what I consider welded in

D03DFF0E-064C-4464-82DA-2CC7DFA57DB9.jpg

Depends, I have not shown any of the pictures of how it is currently sitting. As of last year (2013) they could not be welded. But for 2014 they could. My trucks as solid as I want. It will take a torch to remove the axle. There is such a thing as too solid. Then you loose traction and bite. You will have a easier time keeping ring and pinions alive. But it will not get you to first place. Spinning on top doesn't win anymore. You have to have traction. I can guarantee the rear end doesn't move. But the frame flexes in the middle which is important. Plus you have to remember a super duties frame are way heaver than a OBS.

It is what it is. There is no right or wrong. That's the beauty of pulling. Everyone has their own view. The only way to prove it is on the track.

DMDP

Reaction score
Depends, I have not shown any of the pictures of how it is currently sitting. As of last year (2013) they could not be welded. But for 2014 they could. My trucks as solid as I want. It will take a torch to remove the axle. There is such a thing as too solid. Then you loose traction and bite. You will have a easier time keeping ring and pinions alive. But it will not get you to first place. Spinning on top doesn't win anymore. You have to have traction. I can guarantee the rear end doesn't move. But the frame flexes in the middle which is important. Plus you have to remember a super duties frame are way heaver than a OBS.

It is what it is. There is no right or wrong. That's the beauty of pulling. Everyone has their own view. The only way to prove it is on the track.

That is the beauty of it. There is more then one way to do everything. Building a chassis is no different. Best of luck to you in the 3.0. I'll keep my eye out for you next year. Our trailer always has beer! :toast:

PDT1081

Reaction score
I agree - it seems like many of the top 2.6 guys are on borrowed time for ring and pinion gears. I know several that keep them on the shelf and change them out every 3 or 4 hooks because they know one more hook is a guaranteed failure.

What about the SRW guys? Are they going through R&Ps and fast as the DRW guys?

DMDP

Reaction score
What about the SRW guys? Are they going through R&Ps and fast as the DRW guys?

You won't see any 2.6 PPL trucks running on singles. But single tire trucks are a hell of a lot easier on r&p's. But no matter the tires, if it doesn't go down the track smooth, it's gonna break. It has been a discussion all over the forums about going to a single 35 12.50 rule like another association but it will never happen. Hell they won't even try dropping the hitch height 2 inches let alone take away duals

Latest posts

Members online