Blown head gaskets with ARP's

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
Thats a moly grease, I thought you were talking about Moly coatings. My apologies Grease wont stay there forever, but as someone said by the time it leaves it may be two lifetimes.

Ok but how does that change the torqe value? Its still a Moly coating regardless.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
Honestly I am over thinking it. I had the cash here for about 6 months now for my stud job. Ive been bouncing back and forth on mechanics ( I cant do it myself ) and also which studs to use. I dont want ot have to do it again. I plan on 190/30s most likely and a 68mm, so HP Im guessing +/- 600.

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
Ok but how does that change the torqe value? Its still a Moly coating regardless.

There is a difference in dry and wet coatings when regards to torques. Especially from a moly grease and a dry moly coating that uses a carrier that evaporates after "x" amount of time, thus leaving a dry film behind. Thats getting into semantics too much, but there is a difference between dry and wet coating torques. Generally pretty close.

RedRice589

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a blown or severely leaking head gasket in my 05. The truck has been studded for about 3 years maybe a little longer. I used ARP 425's with OEM gaskets and had the heads machined perfectly flat. I'm only running 155's and a 64.7mm VGT. I'm stuck in the boat of fix it again and hope it holds or trade it off for a newer truck. The end goal with this truck was 190's or 205's with a matching charger. What does it take to make this motor hold that kind of power? I'm not easy on it by any stretch of the imagination. I've been told ARP 625's with OEM gaskets would hold. I've also checked into O-ringed heads. I need opinions from people that have 650+ Hp 6.0's. How long they've held up and what's the setup?

You can fix it and I'll trade hahaha

swinky

Reaction score
we arent talking body panels here. in order for rust to have a negative impact on those studs, likely the truck will have lived two lives by then.

you answered your own question...

Then why does the arp 425 have a lower tensile strength and still a higher tq.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Dirty_Stroke

Reaction score
You can fix it and I'll trade hahaha

:thumbsup: well I talked to a couple places today and got different responses from all of them. Idk if the guy at Rudy's was just trying to rush me off the phone but he told me they have no problems with the regular ARP's and that my heads couldn't have been machined correctly. TSD suggested the big ARP's with stock gaskets and no O-rings. Has anybody here seen a truck with the 625 ARP's blow a gasket??

Twan

Reaction score
:thumbsup: well I talked to a couple places today and got different responses from all of them. Idk if the guy at Rudy's was just trying to rush me off the phone but he told me they have no problems with the regular ARP's and that my heads couldn't have been machined correctly. TSD suggested the big ARP's with stock gaskets and no O-rings. Has anybody here seen a truck with the 625 ARP's blow a gasket??

What kind of warrent do they offer you?
I haven't found anyone in my area that will give me more than 1 year 12k.

Dirty_Stroke

Reaction score
What kind of warrent do they offer you?
I haven't found anyone in my area that will give me more than 1 year 12k.

There will be no warranty. I'm doing the work myself this go around. Well, let me correct that, if I can find a proven combo that will hold up then I am going to redo it. If 625's won't hold for sure then I will probably trade the truck off. Even though I love my truck.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Then why does the arp 425 have a lower tensile strength and still a higher tq.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Good luck getting a good answer. I have looked into the subject thoroughly and everyone says something different.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
I have been researching this subject HEAVILY over the last few months. I am excited for a lot of the people trying out different studs, gaskets, oring, etc... only time will tell how well they hold up.

Most people I know that blow their headgaskets on a 6.0 did it very slowly over time. Most of them probably did not even know their headgaskets were blown until the degas puked. Their gaskets could have been slightly leaking for months to years... I have seen slightly leaking trucks that take 5-10 passes down the track, dyno, sled, etc to puke. Most average joe guys don't push their trucks that hard over a short period of time. People usually think it is just the degas cap... but those same trucks were usually doing gaskets down the road.

I hope their is a descent long term solution found for the guys with higher hp on the 6.0

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
I hope more people start running a coolant psi gauge. You can tell immediately if your head gaskets are leaking.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
^^^^ agreed

I run a coolant psi gauge and it will let you know right away if you are having any issues

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
Idk if your talking to me but I used an isspro gauge. You should be able to use the eas 0-100 psi sensor for the cts.

Latest posts

Members online