Blown head gaskets with ARP's

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
What's with the new craze of wanting to run coolant pressure gauges? It's not like there is anything you can do immediately about blown gaskets... soooo, why not just run it until they are definitely blown! LOL

ford rules

Reaction score
That was kinda my thoughts^
Only reason i would do it is just to say i have a coolant pressure guage lol

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
That was kinda my thoughts^
Only reason i would do it is just to say i have a coolant pressure guage lol

I wouldn't do it because I don't want to know... if it isn't puking, coolant isn't disappearing, and it still runs fine, that is good enough for me lol

ford rules

Reaction score
Lol this is true, I'm sure a lot of trucks would show signs of coolant being pushed if they had a gauge on it.

Like you said if it's not pushing past the cap I'm fine with it lol

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
Lol this is true, I'm sure a lot of trucks would show signs of coolant being pushed if they had a gauge on it.

Like you said if it's not pushing past the cap I'm fine with it lol

Yep exactly. Mine doesn't push past the cap, it doesn't eat any coolant, it doesn't display any signs of blown gaskets. So if the pressure is 17psi rather than below 16 then so be it... Out of sight, out of mind. And don't forget my studs have been used 3 times, they are std arp's. original heads but o ringed and 50+psi boost on the reg and about 700hp.

swinky

Reaction score
Yep exactly. Mine doesn't push past the cap, it doesn't eat any coolant, it doesn't display any signs of blown gaskets. So if the pressure is 17psi rather than below 16 then so be it... Out of sight, out of mind. And don't forget my studs have been used 3 times, they are std arp's. original heads but o ringed and 50+psi boost on the reg and about 700hp.

Where'd you get them o ringed?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
Might just get mine done and re use the arps. Or just extreme studs and no o ring.

Well I am here to testify that I have no issues with that setup. Next go around mine will probably get a fresh set of o-ringed heads and extremes, but my gaskets are still fine.

swinky

Reaction score
Yeah I just don't think I want the down time. I'll see if there's a place close that will do it.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
What's with the new craze of wanting to run coolant pressure gauges? It's not like there is anything you can do immediately about blown gaskets... soooo, why not just run it until they are definitely blown! LOL

WHY???

Some of us have dual purpose trucks. We race them down the track on some weekends and then hook up 20k trailers the next weekend and go on long road trips.

If you had slightly blown head gaskets that just did not puke when driving around town or going down the track and then hook up 20k and go on a 12-18 hr road trip with your family through huge mountain passes... well I would rather know what is going on rather then hope it is out of sight and out of mind.... right up to the point that I am on a two lane no passing zone going up a 7% grade in a no passing zone pulling 20k up a hill with my family in the truck. Just to find out that my headgaskets were on the brink of letting go and I hoped for them to be out of sight and out of mind...

Or if you care about the little bit of difference that blown gaskets make. Maybe if you are researching and developing products. You don't want to wonder if all your data from the last few months was skewed when you find out your gaskets are blown and you start to wonder how long they were blown for...

Just sayin... some of us would like to know. It seems silly for how cheap a gauge is and if you are pushing higher hp... why wouldn't you want to know. Especially if you have a big event planned and you are hoping to make big numbers... I would rather know the month before that they are slightly leaking so I can take care of it.

Or... when you have guys on the forums swear by their setup and tell everyone how they made big power with no problems... most of those guys don't jump back on and let everyone know that their gaskets blew a year down the road and were potentially leaking for the past few months. They usually quietly get them replaced and upgrade leaving a ton of other guys going down the same path leading to the same problem. I cant tell you how many guys I know that tell me I am stupid if I think that you need more than just standard OEM gaskets and Standard ARPs to make 800+ hp reliably without having any issues long term. They quote the famous saying... "its proven that you can make 1000hp reliably on standard oems and arps" :doh:

It would help the whole community if more guys monitored their cooling system.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Well I am here to testify that I have no issues with that setup. Next go around mine will probably get a fresh set of o-ringed heads and extremes, but my gaskets are still fine.

What kind of orings did you use?

How long have you been on this setup?

I thought you were the guy that has changed out his gaskets a couple of times and never really went long term on any of them? I agree if you change out your gaskets every year that it will last much longer...

What do you mean next go around? Why change it out again if they are working just fine?

swinky

Reaction score
So for those of you that have seen blown gaskets before. How bad do the gaskets normally look? I'm thinking I might try to do arp 625s one at a time. My truck only pukes under wtfo and the 625s can be used many times. Really nothing to lose but time and frustration.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

ford rules

Reaction score
If there already leaking, no stud you put in will reseale them IMO. The gaskets are compromised and aren't going to seal again. That's like pulling the heads and reusing the old gaskets...

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
What kind of orings did you use?

How long have you been on this setup?

I thought you were the guy that has changed out his gaskets a couple of times and never really went long term on any of them? I agree if you change out your gaskets every year that it will last much longer...

What do you mean next go around? Why change it out again if they are working just fine?

Ok, first. I will just drop the coolant pressure gauge discussion lol. To each his own... Yes I have put new gaskets in a few times. This is how it went:

-bought the truck in august 2012 studded.
-blew headgaskets 2 weeks after getting it
-installed o ringed heads in august 2012 using the arp's that were in the truck when I bought it.

-January 2013
-Pulled heads to install pushrods and valvesprings. Only 5k or so miles since the previous headgasket job with the o rings and the used arp's. Gaskets looked perfect
-cleaned the heads and block, threw new oem gaskets on and the same arp's and tightened them down...
- also installed s366 and 225/150s at the time. Truck was making about 550-575 hp
-then went on to a s472, picked up a little power
-then swapped to larger injectors (supposedly 300/150s)
-then installed s475. truck was making about 650-660hp at this point and saw a few dyno pulls w/ nitrous to over 700hp
-last weekend rebuilt the injectors, found out they only flow about 250cc and installed mpd's new 7 hole 75% nozzles.

So yes, my heads have been off a few times, but it has been a year and 3 months since they have been off. Current setup is O ringed heads, std arp's torqued to 225ft/lbs that have been used at least 3 times to my knowledge (maybe more if the previous owner used them more than once, that, I do not know)

Hope that clears everything up and gives a good idea of where I am at currently. As far as the type of O rings, that I do not know either. All I know is there are metal O rings in my heads LOL. By next go around I mean IF, and only IF my gaskets blow will I change it. The only reason I plan on changing to the extreme studs if I need headgaskets in the future is because they are a proven better material makeup, and the arp's in my truck have been used 3+ times. That, and the truck makes around 700hp. No reason to re use the old studs once again if I ever have my heads off again. I also said I would use fresh heads with O rings because if I need to do gaskets again I would like to have everything fresh. Honestly though, if I blow headgaskets again, the truck will probably just get a built engine. New block, new heads, etc...

So for those of you that have seen blown gaskets before. How bad do the gaskets normally look? I'm thinking I might try to do arp 625s one at a time. My truck only pukes under wtfo and the 625s can be used many times. Really nothing to lose but time and frustration.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

Terrible idea lol.

If there already leaking, no stud you put in will reseale them IMO. The gaskets are compromised and aren't going to seal again. That's like pulling the heads and reusing the old gaskets...

This ^

swinky

Reaction score
Read of 2 or 3 guys doing something similar with success. Nvm though I'm dumb.

MorganY

Reaction score
This is entire thread is ridiculous. Standard ARPs have been proven to hold 1000hp, and 50+psi... its all about doing it right. You guys with 190s, and vgt setups are crazy spending $1000+ on studs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online