Blue smoke on cold start...

2000wa250

Reaction score
Why did my tunes from cale run 1200 psi icp to 1500 psi max at anything under 75% throttle with 200% nozzles making it a smokey pig? Why could he not get the turbo to spool and my first set I wrote ran better...and his were written with him getting to ride in the truck.

Sometimes the professionals miss things, or what they think will work doesn't. These manual trucks need different mentality when you tune them.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

firehunter

Reaction score
Why did my tunes from cale run 1200 psi icp to 1500 psi max at anything under 75% throttle with 200% nozzles making it a smokey pig? Why could he not get the turbo to spool and my first set I wrote ran better...and his were written with him getting to ride in the truck.

Sometimes the professionals miss things, or what they think will work doesn't. These manual trucks need different mentality when you tune them.

THAT, so far, is my takeaway from this thread.

Why is the adder/timing such an issue with single shots and not with AD's? My stock injectors saw three different tuners and never smoked like this.

2000wa250

Reaction score
Because the stock injectors don't require modification of the soi offset, therefore the adder still works efficiently as well. Tunes for stock injectors you don't have to change any of the modifiers, adders, or offsets because these are all meant to account for delays or the speed of the injectors. That doesn't change with stock injectors, where as when you install different injectors you have to change the built in delay to account foe the different injection ratio, and speed of the injectors.
Basically think of it like this, if you're dealing with lawn sprinklers, and you have the same heads in the ground, all you are going to change with them is direction, and flow. Now you put different heads in the ground, you're going to have to adjust the spray pattern, but also how long they stay on, and how much water they put out to allow the best coverage and to not over water. Same concept.

Once you move away from stock injectors, all aspects of tuning must be adjusted, even if its just by 5%, to account for the mechanical difference between split shot and single shot. Just the nature of the beast. Where it gets tough is when you can't figure out if its the adder you just changed causing the issue, or that adder interacting with the offset, and then trying to figure out which one to change. That would be my guess as to why many tuners leave the adder stock. Less stuff changed, less things to mess with if the customer is unhappy.

firehunter

Reaction score
This is exactly what mine does also when its first started. Runs like crap for about a mile down the road then clears up for the most part. So is tuning going to fix it for me? Was planning on new tunes anyways.

I don't know if tuning will fix it but I sure hope so. Matt is back on the case for my truck.

nossliw

Reaction score
This is exactly what mine does also when its first started. Runs like crap for about a mile down the road then clears up for the most part. So is tuning going to fix it for me? Was planning on new tunes anyways.

I would like to comment this video was taken before the new injectors were installed. All 8 had 120k miles of unkknown maintenance history. One had a sticking poppet valve. Even after all the new OEM parts and new injectors I still get a serious smoke out when cold. I will take a video this Wednesday since we will be down in the teens. Won't smoke as bad as if in the negatives, but it will show how with all new parts these truck still smoke like crazy.

I agree with the statement about the autos vs sticks and smoke amount. I only have 1 stick and all the auto fleet trucks do not smoke near as bad.

Not sure how to fix it but DP has not been able to do so on my last two burns. I am sending the chip in for one last reburn, but really don't have much faith in the problem being corrected. The only way i thinks its fixable is by a tuner will decent experience with this issue.

firehunter

Reaction score
I agree with the statement about the autos vs sticks and smoke amount. I only have 1 stick and all the auto fleet trucks do not smoke near as bad.

Agreed. I drive the 6 speed, my wife has an auto and the difference in smoke is noticeable.

Not sure how to fix it but DP has not been able to do so on my last two burns. I am sending the chip in for one last reburn, but really don't have much faith in the problem being corrected. The only way i thinks its fixable is by a tuner will decent experience with this issue.

After many emails, texts, and videos, Matt is working on a solution as I type this.

sniper_101

Reaction score
So is this something most competent tuners can some-what compensate for? Would swapping to an auto-trans truck PCM be of any real gain, or not if it can be tuned for on a DAC3?

Damn good thing I live in the middle of no where or I'd have the fire dept at the house every cold morning, I need to solve this asap. Two year old GP's, new Stancor GPR, two year old batteries, no abnormal oil consumption, normal blow by, etc. Stops smoking blue once oil temp is 90-100*F+. It's embarrassing starting this thing anymore.

Excuse the filthy truck, it's bugging me too.

th_20131004_080458_zps1d43e4b9.jpg

Last edited:

Lethalthreat7.3

Reaction score
Mine is an auto and smokes whenever the oa temp is below 70*. This is at 6500ft. Once it has been running for about 5-10 mins it stops. Above 70* it doesn't happen. Also on the "quiet" position it starts smoking just like when it's cold out. I've gone through everything and only have 6k since finishing my mods. Issue just started since the temps have been getting cold at night over the last month.

oldschool

Reaction score
even though it looks blue, still could be fuel, especially if it smells like fuel, raw unburned fuel. Cold engine, cold outside temps = white, blueish smoke. It's a diesel, takes heat for complete burn.

neverkickn

Reaction score
Im pretty sure that was the point of Aih, to heat the air after its started and eliminate the white stack.
sent while staring at a windowed block

The AIH isn't there to aide in cold starting. It is to prevent white smoking during extended idle. If you meant to say wet stacking, then I don't know if a stock truck could even fuel hard enough at idle to wet stack, maybe I am wrong there.

dealwithit

Reaction score
The smoking on a quiet or drive through tune is from the retarded timing, from the incomplete fuel burn resulting in less engine noise. that is pretty crazy how much smoke some of you are getting on a cold start.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
The AIH isn't there to aide in cold starting. It is to prevent white smoking during extended idle. If you meant to say wet stacking, then I don't know if a stock truck could even fuel hard enough at idle to wet stack, maybe I am wrong there.

That's what I'm saying... When its first started, aih comes on to eliminate the white smoke when idling

Mine never had a white haze when it started until I got rid of aih.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Im pretty sure that was the point of Aih, to heat the air after its started and eliminate the white stack.

Does.that require the parking brake.be set? And mine did it before that. My truck.was stock with a stock 38r when I switched from a 100hp banks chip to php tuning. Its done it and does it all the time. When I had 175s it just did it even worse. Now i just get a blue haze. With larger injectors with 80&100 over nozzles the white smoke.increased in volume. Im back with stock injectors but it smokes still. Lloks like the video posted by Joe Oram. Same damn thing.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Shouldnt really be any bluish smoke at idle, ever... unburnt fuel is white... if your getting a blue haze on cold starts its prolly from orings being cold allowing for oil to seep bye and will disappear after its warm and the orings swell back up....

Or turbo seals could do the same.

live life full throttle

TyCorr

Reaction score
Shouldnt really be any bluish smoke at idle, ever... unburnt fuel is white... if your getting a blue haze on cold starts its prolly from orings being cold allowing for oil to seep bye and will disappear after its warm and the orings swell back up....

Or turbo seals could do the same.

live life full throttle

Not that blue...its different. Im almost.certain its fuel. It burns the eyes soooo.bad.

Could be though. I care less and less about this everyday,lol.

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
Not that blue...its different. Im almost.certain its fuel. It burns the eyes soooo.bad.

Could be though. I care less and less about this everyday,lol.

Mine does this when cold too, almost a dark blue/ dark grey haze
Once warm it's almost not noticeable, figured it's normal

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online