Bought a new project..check er out..

Wayne

Reaction score
Think of a 6.4 as a bored out, common rail injected, factory compound turbo'd, much more sophisticated 6.0. If that's your bag, and you don't mind a wiring challenge then I say do a 6.4. There's plenty of power and reliability available in a 6.0, but many people go about it wrong, and prioritize parts in the wrong order. Stock rods on a 6.0 or a 6.4 are definitely good to 800+ rwhp on good tuning. I wouldn't trust a 6.0 stock bottom end past that much though. 6.4 to roughly 1000 safely. Easier to keep head gaskets in tact on a 6.4 simply because it's 16 mm over 14 mm on a 6.0. If you're meticulous then you should be fine on a studded 6.0 though. As far as build plan I'll keep my opinion to myself as there are many successful ways to your goals, and you haven't even decided on an engine yet. Let us know what you decide on.

Nic

Reaction score
Think of a 6.4 as a bored out, common rail injected, factory compound turbo'd, much more sophisticated 6.0. If that's your bag, and you don't mind a wiring challenge then I say do a 6.4. There's plenty of power and reliability available in a 6.0, but many people go about it wrong, and prioritize parts in the wrong order. Stock rods on a 6.0 or a 6.4 are definitely good to 800+ rwhp on good tuning. I wouldn't trust a 6.0 stock bottom end past that much though. 6.4 to roughly 1000 safely. Easier to keep head gaskets in tact on a 6.4 simply because it's 16 mm over 14 mm on a 6.0. If you're meticulous then you should be fine on a studded 6.0 though. As far as build plan I'll keep my opinion to myself as there are many successful ways to your goals, and you haven't even decided on an engine yet. Let us know what you decide on.

well said :thumbup: i will keep yall posted on which one i find first! thanks alot for all of you guys opinions :ford:

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
5.9? yawn.....

You want to be original? 7.3- common rail or mechanical.
Why not use the best engine to start with, and add the best possible injection method?

Discussion over.

Dustball8504

Reaction score
5.9? yawn.....

You want to be original? 7.3- common rail or mechanical.
Why not use the best engine to start with, and add the best possible injection method?

Discussion over.

Eh.....debatable....

As far as mechanical or common rail 7.3 goes, way too expensive for one. Oh, and it would be only competition worthy then. 6.4 swap would be cheaper in the end and produce 800ish STREETABLE HP.

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
Eh.....debatable....

As far as mechanical or common rail 7.3 goes, way too expensive for one. Oh, and it would be only competition worthy then. 6.4 swap would be cheaper in the end and produce 800ish STREETABLE HP.

6.4's are great.

That said they're not original. Also a 7.3 with common rail would be as streetable as a 6.4.
Mechanical could easily be streetable at 800 or 1200. And the 6.4 sorta slips out of the discussion after that.

All I'm saying is a mech 7.3 swap is about as doable as a 6.4 and you not gonna see yourself at a spotlight.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Is everyone forgetting the $10k motor budget?

I think that pretty much pushes a 6.4 and a mechanical 7.3 right out the window.

A 6.0 can be built pretty cheap now, especially if you source some good used parts right off the boards. It's a known quantity, so no reinventing the wheel trying to shoe horn motors in that no one else has done.

I vote 6.0 for the simple fact it will be cheaper to build and still be a really fun truck.

Dustball8504

Reaction score
The 6.4 could be done if you find a totalled truck. You could just go tuner/intake/exhaust and have a fun little rclb. Plus there would be room to grow when funds allow.

It's really personal preference though.

JoeDaddy

Reaction score

I think that pretty much pushes a 6.4 and a mechanical 7.3 right out the window.

A 6.0 can be built pretty cheap now, especially if you source some good used parts right off the boards. It's a known quantity, so no reinventing the wheel trying to shoe horn motors in that no one else has done.

I vote 6.0 for the simple fact it will be cheaper to build and still be a really fun truck.

I did miss that and digress.

Nic

Reaction score

:whs: thanks bud

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
Dude go with a 6.0 or a cummins...

205s.
03 turbo
Fuel system
Lots of n2o ...
Slicks

11 second ride right there....

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
there have been people laying down 11 second times with an 03 turbo and spray with big sticks for years. Stonepusher is running 225's and spray with a stock turbo. Its all in the tuning.

Latest posts

Members online