Breather

Obsledpuller

Reaction score
Billy I did exactly what you are thinking about and it spewed oil everywhere. If you do choose to of this route I would weld a baffle on the backside of the valve cover. If you pm me your address I'll mail you the one I have it was a direct fit screwed into the oil cap hole. I suggest switching the valve covers but that's just my opinion.

fastersteve

Reaction score
I've considered doing the exhaust scavenging bit too.

I'm going to re-consider it.

it seems to me like the stock venturi into the intake tube is facing the wrong way.

TARM

Reaction score
remember that venting just straight off the doghouse to atmosphere is bad in the winter. that line can freeze from moisture build up and then you will blow out oil seal
9 a;
This was one reason why when I routed to atmosphere I switched the routing to the way IH had it with the T444E(although mine never actually did freeze up I did not want to take the chance after being told of the possibility). It runs right down the front cover. There's was steel tubing IIRC which allowed for precise fitting but I got it to work with hose. The fan dissipates any smoke and fumes very well in my experience and the heat from the block and the hose run stopping right there preventing freezing be an issue, at least here in the foot hills we call mountains but temps are almost never in the negatives. But I could see it possibly freezing if it was routed under the cab and rearward where it was not near any heat sources that could also quickly thaw any issue very quickly.

But I still plan to route to the exhaust. Not that I think I need any more positive venting than what atmosphere does but it sure will not hurt and will then have hopefully at least the draw it has in the stock intake location. What I am after is a perfectly neat and clean venting with no issues. Any oil ( right now I seem to not have enough blow by to cause any oil drops on the garage floor that I have noticed but having it all go thru the exhaust ensures that will not be an issue. It also will not be crudding up the front underside of the engine. It will also prevent it possibly getting blocked by mud or water depending on conditions of use.'

I plan to actually use the splice 4" exhaust pipe piece that has the tube already welded and setup for the proper effect that can be installed right after the downpipe. We will see how it works. That is one project for the winter.

Last edited:

ja_cain

Reaction score
9 a;
This was one reason why when I routed to atmosphere I switched the routing to the way IH had it with the T444E(although mine never actually did freeze up I did not want to take the chance after being told of the possibility). It runs right down the front cover. There's was steel tubing IIRC which allowed for precise fitting but I got it to work with hose. The fan dissipates any smoke and fumes very well in my experience and the heat from the block and the hose run stopping right there preventing freezing be an issue, at least here in the foot hills we call mountains but temps are almost never in the negatives. But I could see it possibly freezing if it was routed under the cab and rearward where it was not near any heat sources that could also quickly thaw any issue very quickly.

But I still plan to route to the exhaust. Not that I think I need any more positive venting than what atmosphere does but it sure will not hurt and will then have hopefully at least the draw it has in the stock intake location. What I am after is a perfectly neat and clean venting with no issues. Any oil ( right now I seem to not have enough blow by to cause any oil drops on the garage floor that I have noticed but having it all go thru the exhaust ensures that will not be an issue. It also will not be crudding up the front underside of the engine. It will also prevent it possibly getting blocked by mud or water depending on conditions of use.'

I plan to actually use the splice 4" exhaust pipe piece that has the tube already welded and setup for the proper effect that can be installed right after the downpipe. We will see how it works. That is one project for the winter.

I guess you are referring to the road draft tube configuration on the IH's. I would love to go to the setup that you are looking to go to and I think that the hot exhaust will keep most of the vapors from condensing. Plus, you don't have to worry about emptying a catch can.

Plimptonjr

Reaction score
The draft idea is common on dragsters for simplicity. I was thinking about doing that when I take the covers off my truck; tig bung on each cover, run 1 hose from each somewhat uphill, then swing em down and Y them into a piece of exhaust that's easy to get at.

When I got my diesel I was actually surprised to see it does not run a crankcase vacuum pump. I think it would be beneficial at all power levels.

TARM

Reaction score
You could also run one out of the oil fill tube for those that might not have welding capabilities. That is if you wanted two or if you wanted to get rid of VC tubes for some reason.

TARM

Reaction score
I did not check too deeply but if there are screw on breathable oil caps if one of those oil breathers with a hose end connection is a screw on and it fits it could be as simple as using one of those as a cap. Just thinking out loud in terms of different ways to handle it so people have options. All in all not really a major thing but still there is so so much posted about CCV and catch cans, oily intake boots and IC etc, fumes, dripping oil, smoke, freezing this and that, it sure seems many over the years are quite interested in this area.

TARM

Reaction score
What would be very nice would be to make a steel tube vent to attach to what ever system a person decided on with only a small section of hose or boot as needed. That would keep it nice and neat and with care could hug a seam or line as to not be another hose that is getting in the way.

I know when I get a chance I am undoing the fuel hoses and bending nice neat tubing for everything possible. Neat, looks professional, no rubbing wear issues.

97stoker350

Reaction score
on the super duty vc you can unscrew the oil fill extension and just put the cap right on the vc. thats how i have mine on my obs. then the doghouse is just routed to underneath the truck and i can't tell you how many times someone saw the cc steam and said that my truck was broke...

TARM

Reaction score
yep they see that smoke/steam and think you have an oil leak hitting the manifold or something.

Latest posts

Members online