IMAG0642.jpg

The problem

Delta.jpg

The solution

IMAG0748.jpg

Install write up coming soon :fordoval:

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
I want some good solid numbers from this.... my new motor is sitting on the shop floor still(4 months after I built it), taking my time researching n buying all the stuff I want and this is on my list

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

colo_dually

Reaction score
Good luck with the installation, and the numbers and your driving habits would be benefital to have posted. Thanks for the time you are taking to do this.

Snake

Reaction score
I want some good solid numbers from this.... my new motor is sitting on the shop floor still(4 months after I built it), taking my time researching n buying all the stuff I want and this is on my list

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

Definitely! In addition to the write up, I'll post up the results / improvement in the delta.

When I hit that delta, I put a new cooler in for 500 lol.

This will be my 3rd cooler, and I was tired of worrying about it. I kept reading of person after person who had replaced the OEM cooler multiple times (myself included). Sometimes its not just the cost, but the down time. :thumbup:

Good luck with the installation, and the numbers and your driving habits would be benefital to have posted. Thanks for the time you are taking to do this.

Thanks! I drive like an old man (got 160k miles out of my OEM rotors) and don't haul or tow many things. A horse trailer (6k lbs with 2 horses), a utility trailer (3k lbs loaded), and a 21' center console boat is pretty much the extent of it. The pic of my temps was taken after the truck had warmed up (gently) and was driven at 60 mph on a flat road for 15 minutes. Yesterday I was on the highway at 70 mph for 40 minutes (94* ambient temp) and I was reading ECT 202/EOT 238. :lookaround:

Mdub707

Reaction score
Cool beans Mike!

My original cooler is still in the truck, I'm at 107k miles and temps stay about 7* apart max. I don't understand it, but I think I've blown enough had gaskets that the coolant system gets a good flush every 20k miles hahah

Snake

Reaction score
I think we went down the same path. LOL My oil cooler was good to go until around 130-140k miles. Even though my deltas were still within specs, they were creeping up so we replaced the cooler. Then it clogged without question sometime in the past 20-30k miles. Good excuse for an upgrade. :D

strokin6L

Reaction score
Is that a RIGID Industries LED light bar in the bumper? I was thinkin about getting a 10" one between the factory fogs.

windrunner408

Reaction score
I will only say this. I will be very surprised if you are disappointed with the money you spent once you open the box and see the kit yourself.

I have been running my BPD kit now for over 12k miles and my ECT temp varies between 188F and 200F depending on the driving and outside temp. It gets pretty warm here in Memphis (106+F everyday) and I see 208F all day long for my EOT and this is with a 215F thermostat put in the mix. Since the oil temp is being measured as the oil comes back to the motor, that is why my oil temps are lower than the thermostat operating temp. The oil going to the thermostat is 215F or higher I am sure. I also dont tow much but I am confident that this will handle my 12k lb towing weight should I ever need it.

Snake

Reaction score
very sharp/clean rig

Thanks! From an appearance perspective, it's held up pretty well for 7 years and 160k miles

Is that a RIGID Industries LED light bar in the bumper? I was thinkin about getting a 10" one between the factory fogs.

It's a 20" Rigid E-Series. I have it tied into my high beams and am still overwhelmed by the output.

I will only say this. I will be very surprised if you are disappointed with the money you spent once you open the box and see the kit yourself.

I have been running my BPD kit now for over 12k miles and my ECT temp varies between 188F and 200F depending on the driving and outside temp. It gets pretty warm here in Memphis (106+F everyday) and I see 208F all day long for my EOT and this is with a 215F thermostat put in the mix. Since the oil temp is being measured as the oil comes back to the motor, that is why my oil temps are lower than the thermostat operating temp. The oil going to the thermostat is 215F or higher I am sure. I also dont tow much but I am confident that this will handle my 12k lb towing weight should I ever need it.

I have a feeling you're right. I haven't read one negative review of the kit, and a local guy who specializes in 6.0 repair (oil cooler, EGR delete, and head studs primarily) has installed a couple BPD kits. He spoke very highly of the quality, ease of install, and benefits. I'll be happy to have this fixed once and for all so I never really have to worry about it again.

colo_dually

Reaction score
Your running the right configuration and don't tow heavy by any stretch (assuming you still have stock 3.73's or have changed to match the tires to that or 4.10s). Its only in the lower geared trucks that run higher RPMs for the speed (F350 TowBoss, F450, and F550 trucks) that there becomes issues with the BPD external kit. Two solutions, a SCT file with fan engagement on EOT, or the new coolers BPD is in the R&D process of designing.

Nate, I think with 12K behind you, you won't have any issues either. I'm hoping that BPD nails this minor set back with these new coolers so they work for my application.

Snake

Reaction score
Your running the right configuration and don't tow heavy by any stretch (assuming you still have stock 3.73's or have changed to match the tires to that or 4.10s). Its only in the lower geared trucks that run higher RPMs for the speed (F350 TowBoss, F450, and F550 trucks) that there becomes issues with the BPD external kit. Two solutions, a SCT file with fan engagement on EOT, or the new coolers BPD is in the R&D process of designing.

Nate, I think with 12K behind you, you won't have any issues either. I'm hoping that BPD nails this minor set back with these new coolers so they work for my application.

As always, I value and respect your feedback and guidance. It was your posts that identified to me that the BPD oil cooler isn't invincible and that it does have it's limits, just like any other part (although I think we're on the same page in that the BPD cooler is probably the best solution for a large majority of 6.0 owners).

I've ditched the factory 3.73's in favor of 4.30's, but my rpm's are only slightly higher than stock because of the larger tires.

Is there anyone else offering SCT tunes with a fan engagement other than Gearhead?

colo_dually

Reaction score
As always, I value and respect your feedback and guidance. It was your posts that identified to me that the BPD oil cooler isn't invincible and that it does have it's limits, just like any other part (although I think we're on the same page in that the BPD cooler is probably the best solution for a large majority of 6.0 owners).

I've ditched the factory 3.73's in favor of 4.30's, but my rpm's are only slightly higher than stock because of the larger tires.

Is there anyone else offering SCT tunes with a fan engagement other than Gearhead?

I researched this product thoroughly, and I have some specifics in another thread if you are interested. I like the product, its just not the end all for every 6.0L owner. Soon, that may be corrected.

You are most likely either at 4.10 equivalent, or pretty close. I think with the loads you'll be pulling you won't have the temp issues. Of course if these newer coolers work out for BPD, I'm sure they will offer some sort of upgrade package.

As to tuning, any tuner should be able to make the adjustments. My recommendation, is have the fan clutch on EOT at or about 220*. If that proves to be running the fan for you, shift it to 230*.

windrunner408

Reaction score
IMO, I would have the fan kick on at EOT of 210F. I dont mind running my fan all the time if need be if it means I can keep my oil temps down. JMO though.

Snake

Reaction score
I researched this product thoroughly, and I have some specifics in another thread if you are interested. I like the product, its just not the end all for every 6.0L owner. Soon, that may be corrected.

You are most likely either at 4.10 equivalent, or pretty close. I think with the loads you'll be pulling you won't have the temp issues. Of course if these newer coolers work out for BPD, I'm sure they will offer some sort of upgrade package.

As to tuning, any tuner should be able to make the adjustments. My recommendation, is have the fan clutch on EOT at or about 220*. If that proves to be running the fan for you, shift it to 230*.

Probably a good chance I read the results of your research during my own, but please PM me a link if you don't mind just in case I missed it. Kind of ironic, but 220* was the magic number I came up with also.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.