Bulletproof oil cooler install (teaser)

Snake

Reaction score
Fortunately no leak. We've been fighting the weather almost every day we've worked on the truck and have been wet more often than not.

You pegged it though. The light is taking up the space where the oil filter is supposed to go. Working with BPD to see if a custom mount is an option, or if we need to fabricate a spacer to push the filter back about an inch.

When I test fitted, I held the filter mounting bracket against the back of the nuts and the filter cleared the back of the light by 1/2". I didn't consider that I'll lose the width of the nuts when the bracket is actually mounted. Aftermarket accessory - 1, Snake - 0.

Snake

Reaction score
i agree. I really dig the camper too for some reason :thumbup:

Thanks! There have been times I debated removing it, but it's really nice having it there. Adds a little bit of protection and security for the spare tire in the bed and anything else that might end up back there. It always makes me smile when I hear, "I didn't know they made a Harley Davidson Excursion." :D

Nic

Reaction score
haha yep definitely looks good man. I mentioned awhile back to the wife about a painted to match camper on mine and she about ruined my ear drum. LOL

Snake

Reaction score
Lucky for me, a lot of the aftermarket stuff was on the truck before my wife and I started dating. Since then, it's been a lot of maintenance "keep the truck on the road" stuff. LOL

colo_dually

Reaction score
Figured by the pic, that light wasn't gonna work. Any chance you can find a thinner profile set of lights and install those (simply another option).

Snake

Reaction score
I've thought about that, but those PIAA lights are pretty thin already. One way or the other, we'll figure it out.

True to their reputation for amazing customer service, BPD already has a different bracket en route. If that one doesn't work, it looks like the permanent solution will be a custom mount from them. I can't speak highly enough about this company.

Last edited:

Snake

Reaction score
I don't think a caption is needed......

2012-08-20_0163.jpg

Snake

Reaction score
We figured out the oil filter mount last week, got that bolted in, connected the last of our hoses yesterday, and added our fluids.

And she's running! Finally drove my truck home yesterday and I'm happy to report the 45 minute ride was uneventful.

Snake

Reaction score
As a comparison.....

Before the install:
Ambient temp: 95*
Vehicle speed: 75 mph
ECT: 206*
EOT: 245*

After the install:
Ambient temp: 94*
Vehicle speed: 75 mph
ECT: 206*
EOT: 209*

Pretty impressive considering my truck is 8' tall (it's not a brick, it's a cinder block), weighs around 10k lbs, and turns 2200+ rpms at that speed.

windrunner408

Reaction score
Wow Mike!!! Now I know why it took you two weeks to write your review. Very thorough man. GREAT job. :thumbup:

BTW, I LOVE the look of that DC Power Engineering Alternator. That is my next mod. LOl

Snake

Reaction score
Thanks Nate! I'm standing by for the "you know, you really should have done this step before that step" and "on my truck the bolt size is a 18mm, not a 19mm." LOL

I have a much better understanding why instructions for a lot of parts are vague: not all the parts are the same size. LOL LOL

That DC Power alternator is the goods. Love that almost as much as the BDP kit. Almost. :naughty:

windrunner408

Reaction score
Well I'm not gonna lie man. The write up was too long for me fully read enough to see if you had the wrong bolt size. I know for my truck my passenger side battery hold down bolt is 8mm vice 7mm hey I'm not gonna be nit picky and it could just be my truck.

Yea I never knew about those alternators before. I am going to get one in red.

Snake

Reaction score
Well I'm not gonna lie man. The write up was too long for me fully read enough to see if you had the wrong bolt size. I know for my truck my passenger side battery hold down bolt is 8mm vice 7mm hey I'm not gonna be nit picky and it could just be my truck.

LOL

The subtle differences in these trucks through the model years is incredible. Just consider the number of changes to the internals of the turbos.

06_Whitebull

Reaction score
Damn...That's a write up there. Couldn't have been done at a better time since this is my next purchase. You da MAN.

:toast:

Snake

Reaction score
Happy I could help. Pay attention to the tool list, especially the Torx bit and hex head tools. There's nothing worse than having to stop to go buy more tools. LOL

Latest posts

Members online