Can certain oil instantly ruin an IPR

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Gonna need to get some plugs and see if it builds any pressure on one side or the other. Then the pump.

mandkole

Reaction score
No issues before I did the upgrades

^^ this is what Ive been focused on. It wouldn't be likely that the IPR or pump would suddenly stop working with an injector change. But, poor sealing oil sides on re-assembled worn out injectors will drain pressure as fast as it can be put in. While there is still air in the system, killing the motor would be easy and restarting difficult.

Get a hand pump to insure that the injectors are holding pressure in the rail. If the VCs are off, you can see it easily if/where its being lost. You could also use the pump to push oil through the hoses and rail and get most of the air out. Just disconnect the plug at the other end.

bruce

Reaction score
I just did some a deadhead test and with the ipr coil full fielded it made like 3500psi but with the ipr pigtail hooked up it only made like 1500psi

Dan V

Reaction score
I'm likely wrong, but isn't the IPR connection nearly identical to another plug in the valley? Maybe they are swapped?

ghohouston

Reaction score
I'm likely wrong, but isn't the IPR connection nearly identical to another plug in the valley? Maybe they are swapped?

Yes, that and the ebpv solenoid are idnetical. I dont think he would be starting or building any hpo if that were the case, but not sure to be honest.

bruce

Reaction score
Well today I did more testing. Hooked air up to the oil rails, drivers side didn’t make a peep so at that I just decided to remove the passenger valve cover. Hooked air up and the rear most injector was leaking. So I pulled all of them on that side. The orings weren’t cut or blown, but I replaced them anyway. Also I had an injector that the upper part is loose. Like if you grab the solenoid the part that it’s bolted to will wiggle. None of the others do that so I emailed the builder. I never really thought it would be an oil leak because the rails were always full and my fuel maintains pressure. Live and learn I suppose.

mandkole

Reaction score
The builder should go back thru all of them. The one worn poppet was survivable but the loose seat plate on the other could be the killer. The oil will keep moving from the pump and the fuel won't flow until the oil is restricted enough to make 500 psi. The oil rail could also drain from the bad ones and develop lots of air, etc.making the start even harder.

Nice job finding it and hope you'll get it fixed now.

bruce

Reaction score
Yes, that and the ebpv solenoid are idnetical. I dont think he would be starting or building any hpo if that were the case, but not sure to be honest.

The ipr pigtail I got from diesel orings doesn’t have the metal clip. It has to plastic ears, fits a lot tighter, I like it

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Not really, it passes buzz test no problem
now that you have a good idea of what was messed up, it just goes to show that there can be very misleading results with certain tests.

now quit being a cheapass and get some good oil in that thing once its back together.

live life full throttle

bruce

Reaction score
:pullover:
now that you have a good idea of what was messed up, it just goes to show that there can be very misleading results with certain tests.

now quit being a cheapass and get some good oil in that thing once its back together.

live life full throttle

I changed it to delo 400. I did put that oil I drained out in a 6.0 though