Coil Spring Swap?

Dirtclod

Reaction score
I guess what I meant to say what's the difference in the front axles on 05-07 & 08-10 f250? I assume the 250&350 srw are the same other than spring difference for payload.

Motomez

Reaction score
I did mine a few years ago. Pretty easy swap I paid $1000 for the whole front clip. I just reamed out the my 02 steering box to work with the 06 steering linkage. I wish I would had done it sooner as the ride is way better and the best part is I can now make u turns.
Also the new trucks have bigger brakes which is a plus

Faste

Reaction score
I have been reading through the post, now I want to swap the front end on my 01, I found a 05 donor truck locally. He said I could get what ever I needed of the front for $500 may just have to do it

Dirtclod

Reaction score
That's a good deal,even if you have to replace some things. Nearly everything in my front end needs replacing. Ball joints,universals,shocks,brakes,hubs,211k miles and its 16 years old so I guess it's time. I can't see putting $ into it to go back stock. Right now I've got too many irons in the fire and I'm gonna have to go get work again out of state. Was in Lima OH and they had to cut back. Oh well,trucks gonna have to move to the front of the list I guess. I'm gonna check with a couple local shops and see what options I have for a swap. The guy who changed my engine out has several parts truck but I think mostly is 2wd. Last time I was up there he had a complete front assembly that belong to a friend. He never got with me on a price so I'll call him up and see what's up. If I can get enough miscellaneous parts I'd keep the axle and add the coils and radius arms with a lift. I've saw them do these axles with coil over. I'll get some prices and do the math.

Faste

Reaction score
Reading through the threads I still haven't figured out if the 05 steering box will work or not, I know I can ream out the pitman arm on mine, but it has some slack in it, the donor truck I was looking at had a lot less miles on it

sootie

Reaction score
Reading through the threads I still haven't figured out if the 05 steering box will work or not, I know I can ream out the pitman arm on mine, but it has some slack in it, the donor truck I was looking at had a lot less miles on it

yes it will work

Faste

Reaction score
Thanks, I hope it is still on the donor, I didn't look. I also did relize I needed the newer wheels, I just bought new tires for my 16s Lol any way I think I will go ahead and get it

scparrish

Reaction score
I used 08 axles and the 08 sway bar isn't a plug and play. I am trying to find an 05-07 sway bar and hoping that 08-10 sway bar end links will work.

sootie

Reaction score
I used 08 axles and the 08 sway bar isn't a plug and play. I am trying to find an 05-07 sway bar and hoping that 08-10 sway bar end links will work.

i dont think they will. PMF will make you custom ones that will work tho...

scparrish

Reaction score
Good deal thanks for the heads up. Wish I could have found as good of a deal on an 05-07 suspension when I did my swap instead of the 08.

Faste

Reaction score
Well I ended up buying the rolling frame with front and rear axles and suspension, hoping the rear swaps pretty easy. Only thing is it didn't come with wheels :(

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Yesterday I had a load of cedar poles on a flatbed and the front right wheel started shaking and sound like it was coming off, even the fender was shaking. Looks to me like the axle bearing has give out and I'm sure the left side is soon to follow. I drove it @25-30 on back roads till limped her home. The ujoints have been rattling when the hubs are locked in for couple months now and vacuum hasn't been turning the hubs. So I'm guessing that axle bearing all the way to the locking hub will need replacing and I just can't afford to do the swap at this time. Which vendor would be best to go with for these parts and which brand do you guys recommend? I have everything to do the job myself so I'm going to get familiar with it. Since everything will be replaced I might be able to sale my axle later to get some$ back after the swap.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Sunrise. I only us factory. Seen too kuch bad stuff with aftermarket ones, and something that acrucial to your safety, spend the extra money.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
What's the difference between a drw and srw? Besides 2 wheels! I'm thinking for the front axle is just a spacer. What would it take for the rear axle to make it a srw?

co04cobra

Reaction score
If it was a cab and chassis truck from factory you would need a srw axle from a narrow frame truck.

If it was a regular truck bed dually you can use any regular SRW axle to convert and it is just adapters on the front.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
What size are the adapters? Just wondering if they can be used on my 01 rear for the difference? Then I wouldn't need the rear axle. A pair of good adapters are pricey.

Latest posts

Members online