Coil Spring Swap?

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Well I finally got a chance to dig into my front axle today. Here's what I found. The wheel hub on passenger side seems to be good. U joints look good and so does the ball joints. When I removed the hub the spindle has lots of play. The dust seal on axle side is completely gone and also on the hub side. Now when I drive it it vibrates really bad. I haven't heard of anyone say that just these seals would cause this. Anyone have any advice?

dsberman94

Reaction score
Vibrates like bad bearing vibrate, or vibrates like wheel is shaking back and forth vibrate? I was gonna say check the bearing unit.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
The spindle bearing on the hub is gone. Didn't realize that until I took the drivers side off. I've got another bearing to go in. Hopefully it will fit fine.

co04cobra

Reaction score
If the needle bearing on the back side of the unit bearing is bad the outer axle stub shaft needs to be replaced also.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
The passenger side needle bearing was out,which is the long axle side. I got everything replaced and all cleaned up. However when I put the drivers side in I noticed the stub is out of round. I'm not sure what the problem is. I'm sure it has something to with wreck I had. Or when I had the blowout on the right front. I'll pull it out tomorrow and see if I can measure to see.

psduser1

Reaction score
If the needle bearing on the back side of the unit bearing is bad the outer axle stub shaft needs to be replaced also.

The passenger side needle bearing was out,which is the long axle side. I got everything replaced and all cleaned up. However when I put the drivers side in I noticed the stub is out of round. I'm not sure what the problem is. I'm sure it has something to with wreck I had. Or when I had the blowout on the right front. I'll pull it out tomorrow and see if I can measure to see.

He means you'll need to disassemble the axle ujoint, and replace the outer shaft. If it's out of round, it's junk.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
I understand. But the side where the bearing was out wasn't the side that the spindle is out of round. Just seemed odd to me. But I'm not a mechanic and that's pretty impressive that he knew that. Another thing, I had hub assembly's replaced 2 years ago. Both sides were supposed to be replaced but today I found out that only one was replaced. The newer one was the one with the needle bearing out. It had a set screw through the big nut towards the the outside of the hub. The older one had been marked and punched so the nut couldn't be removed.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Well I've got everything in top shape on the front end except a steering box. I have a bad ujoint at the rear end to replace that is only a lil over a year old. It's going to a frame shop to checked out and driveshafts balanced and trued. The mechanic that did my swap has a Dana 60 front axle assembly minus buckets for 600$. If I get the bid for a job I've been figuring I'll purchase it and start getting it ready for a swap. I think I'll do a 4 link coil over front is going to be my route along with a 5 link rear.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Well I changed the rear ujoint this morning and noticed my carrier bearing was missing the metal piece across the top. It was still in good shape so I took the metal piece off the new one and and put it on. That's all tight but the ujoint before the carrier is bad. I didn't have time to change it but guess I'll do it tomorrow if if get a min.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
I just posted this on another thread but figured it's more suited here. The front leafs on my truck are bent and so are the frame horns. This is due to wreck I had. It could have knocked the front axle out of line and looks like the sway bar is bent. If it's not bent it's putting links in a bind causing them to wear out quick. According to everyone who's checked it out the frame is in line. Just the the frame horns. Probably due to the fact oil had a front hitch in the front. I have a 05 front axle assembly minus buckets,coils,steering parts.600$. Not sure if it needs anything replaced. I want to install this with a 3" lift kit and rear wheel spacers. I've never bought a lift kit before so which one is best for these front ends?

co04cobra

Reaction score
I just posted this on another thread but figured it's more suited here. The front leafs on my truck are bent and so are the frame horns. This is due to wreck I had. It could have knocked the front axle out of line and looks like the sway bar is bent. If it's not bent it's putting links in a bind causing them to wear out quick. According to everyone who's checked it out the frame is in line. Just the the frame horns. Probably due to the fact oil had a front hitch in the front. I have a 05 front axle assembly minus buckets,coils,steering parts.600$. Not sure if it needs anything replaced. I want to install this with a 3" lift kit and rear wheel spacers. I've never bought a lift kit before so which one is best for these front ends?

You have countless other things you need to address to get that axle under your truck. Doesn't matter what you paid for the front axle. You still need to address ball joints, axle joints, wheel bearings, etc...

I would get those ironed out long before worrying about a lift kit. JMO.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
I plan on taking care of all that at one time. I wouldn't even think about putting all that on without checking everything out. Definitely pull axles and put new oil and seals. It doesn't have coil springs or buckets and I'm pretty sure no shocks. I don't think radius arm brackets are there either. This why I'll go ahead with the lift kit since I'll have to buy all that anyways.

co04cobra

Reaction score
The main thing I was meaning is the amount of modification you need to do to even get it ready to accept a coil spring lift kit.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
It really doesn't seem all that complicated to do this swap. I've been a fabricator and welder now 25 years and mostly engineered the work on power plants,refineries,steel mills etc.....
A lot of the lift kits come with buckets,radius arm brackets,springs and leafs for the rear. I plan on swapping rear axles also unless I can find a decent deal in good adapters. Also planning on going with an 05-07 steering box instead of modifying the pitman arm since my box is worn pretty good.

scparrish

Reaction score
The lifts only come with radius arm drops, not the radius arm brackets. Also unless you are looking at a Carli dominator kit no kit will come with coil spring buckets. You can either order these pieces or get them through precision metal fab or Carli. If you have any questions just drop them in here. Like you said the swap isn't too difficult if you have all the parts to start with.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
I contacted carli suspension and they sent me to hellbound.they sell a coilover kit with everything you need for the swap. And you don't have to have a lift with it. Or at least that's what I get from their ad. I've never rode in a truck with coilover suspension. Does anyone have experience with hellbound? Or coilovers?what are the advantages?

scparrish

Reaction score
I guess I don't understand the point of their "kit". You still have to source an 05+ axle and I guess they send you a pile of factory parts to bolt it in?

Here is a list of what you need, which you can source much cheaper than the 1300-1600 dollar kit.

05+ axle
05-07 track bar bracket
coil buckets from any truck 05 to current
track bar
7 degree reamer to modify the older pitman arm to accept the newer tie rod end
05 to current radius arms
05 to current Factory radius arm brackets
A bunch of grade 8 nuts, bolts, and washers.
A drill and some decent drill bits

Dirtclod

Reaction score
I just talked with them a couple hours ago. They basically want to sell you a Carli Lift kit with coilovers and the kit has everything you'll need that is mentioned in the post above. Except they send a new cross member for the transmission. And you have to go to a hydraulic shop for a return fitting to the power steering pump. All together 6100$ for the entire kit. Not what I'm looking for at all. I'll just fab my own stuff or buy new buckets,radius brackets,coils and any thing else I might need. Once it's together I might throw on a leveling kit and replace the rear springs with 08-10 springs. This way everything is new and good for many miles to come.

Latest posts

Members online