Compounds finally done... Now the real battle

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
Finally got everything stitched up with the gt 4094 and the pt 106 now that I have most of the oil leaks tracked down and solved... Now I'm running into an excessively long crank to get the thing started it starts everytime but takes forever like ten seconds or so. The only thing I could correlate to this is how I pulled the feed off the top of the hpop reservoir? Any thoughts? Now I can also only build fifteen pounds of boost no pressure leaks pre turbine that are of consequence. Runs like a striped ass ape up to fifteen but then just stops, I do have it gated and I'm feeling that it is my problem how should I run it without Having to change the springs to what I want a way to fool it basically to only see the fifteen required to activate it when I want it to open up... Thanks for all the info in advance

juniort444e

Reaction score
Do you have a build thread, or pics on this setup. I would like to see how you did everything because later on down the road i planned on doing a similar setup as far as turbo's.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
your primary must be WAY too big. i used to feed my hpop off the top of resevoir courtesy fo david at DI, it worked great. must still have air in it somewhere. gates can be a major problem as well, shut them all off and just drive easy. that should tell yu alot.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Id take the gates out of the equation for now and see if the boost issue resolves itself. If it does you need to adjust your WG system...

You'll get her dialed in...

1badpsd

Reaction score
I would also like some pics please im getting ready to start my compounds and will have almost the same setup.

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
The gate is a precision 46mm basically plumbed into the housing then makes a ninety into the intermediate pipe I never changed the springs that came in it from the factory. The air is pulled right off the y pipe into the intake to the bottom of the gate, then before that there is a tee to bleed air to the top of the gate. I don't think the primary is too awful big it's the same turbo that jelich is running in his truck and it is ungated at this time. His seems to light decently. Also the oil feed for the primary is off the top of the hpop reservoir I just found a slight leak in the feed that could be allowing the reservoir to drain over time I suppose is his a possibility?

TyCorr

Reaction score
You 7.3 guys asking for a 6L guys compound setup isnt going to be a direct copy job.

Aaaaaand it doesnt really help the OP. :D

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
I will get pics for you guys tomorrow I managed to keep ac but it's not exactly very pretty at the moment but you will get the idea

motoxracer42

Reaction score
The gate is a precision 46mm basically plumbed into the housing then makes a ninety into the intermediate pipe I never changed the springs that came in it from the factory. The air is pulled right off the y pipe into the intake to the bottom of the gate, then before that there is a tee to bleed air to the top of the gate. I don't think the primary is too awful big it's the same turbo that jelich is running in his truck and it is ungated at this time. His seems to light decently. Also the oil feed for the primary is off the top of the hpop reservoir I just found a slight leak in the feed that could be allowing the reservoir to drain over time I suppose is his a possibility?

isnt jelich running a s475 as a secondary? Im not trying to hate on it at all, and it would be great if it worked but thats a monster.

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
Yes his is a 475 as long as it can move the gasses past the 94 it shouldn't matter all that much. I know I will eventually need a bigger gate in time. How can I remove the gate from the equation just plug the lines feeding the diaphragm air and not give it a boost reference?

motoxracer42

Reaction score
your gating off your charge pipes or are you gating exhaust? What i do with the two ports is, I tee off the boost reference and run one straight into the bottom of the gate. then i take the other and run it into a regulator for an air compressor and from there to the top of the gate. then you can just dial it in where you want it to open. just test with an air compressor and your set. hope this helps.

motoxracer42

Reaction score
Yes his is a 475 as long as it can move the gasses past the 94 it shouldn't matter all that much. I know I will eventually need a bigger gate in time. How can I remove the gate from the equation just plug the lines feeding the diaphragm air and not give it a boost reference?
as long as you know your gate isnt leaking past the valve, you can put a ball valve on the hose running to the bottom of the gate. this should keep if from opening if you have a hose running to the top of the gate to hold it shut.

907DAVE

Reaction score
To rule the gates out, plumb boost reference into the tops of the gates and see how that works.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Now I'm running into an excessively long crank to get the thing started it starts everytime but takes forever like ten seconds or so. The only thing I could correlate to this is how I pulled the feed off the top of the hpop reservoir? Any thoughts?

There is a thread I started down in AWOL as a joke titled "New HPO something". Last couple pages have an interesting discussion by Charles addressing low oil pressure and supplying compound turbo's. You might find it interesting and helpful.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Feed your LP off a block oil port down by the pan rail on the passenger side. Free up the HPOP supply.

A bigger gate is gonna be in order as well.

Last edited:

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Yes he is.

Silver wouldnt just adjusted the gate work ? Allow it to make more boost by giving the wastegate a higher clamp pressure ?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
To rule the gates out, plumb boost reference into the tops of the gates and see how that works.

I agree with this

Start here sounds like the gate doesn't have enough spring.

I run the same gate with about 16 psi worth of spring but rememeber that rating is spring pressure with full.boost to the bottom of the gate. Basically minimum boost setting with that spring

I.tend to run a little more spring because it helps keep the gate from instantly blowing open before good boost is achieved

Vader's Fury

Reaction score

:whs:

I believe your problem is that you have boost to top and bottom so they cancel each other out. You are running on just the spring right now and that is what is keeping your boost down.

To be safe you could install a regulator between the boost reference and the top of the wastegate and slowly increase the pressure to see how the truck responds. That would prevent you from seeing crazy boost numbers. This would be with nothing attached to the bottom port.

1badpsd

Reaction score
You 7.3 guys asking for a 6L guys compound setup isnt going to be a direct copy job.

Aaaaaand it doesnt really help the OP. :D

Im pretty sure these are on a 7.3 or id hope so since its in the 7.3 aftermarket section:shrug:

Latest posts

Members online