Compounds finally done... Now the real battle

Powersmoker

Reaction score
Finally got everything stitched up with the gt 4094 and the pt 106 now that I have most of the oil leaks tracked down and solved... Now I'm running into an excessively long crank to get the thing started it starts everytime but takes forever like ten seconds or so. The only thing I could correlate to this is how I pulled the feed off the top of the hpop reservoir? Any thoughts? Now I can also only build fifteen pounds of boost no pressure leaks pre turbine that are of consequence. Runs like a striped ass ape up to fifteen but then just stops, I do have it gated and I'm feeling that it is my problem how should I run it without Having to change the springs to what I want a way to fool it basically to only see the fifteen required to activate it when I want it to open up... Thanks for all the info in advance

Do you have any high pressure oil leaks? Even the smallest leak can cause a hard start like you described above. Which turbine wheel did you get on your Pt106? F Trim or G Trim? G trim is a big mo' fo'. I have the F trim on mine which is smaller and the compressor wheel I have is a 106mm clipped to a 101mm. What injectors are you running?

Feed your LP off a block oil port down by the pan rail on the passenger side. Free up the HPOP supply.

:whs: This would be a good idea.

I believe your problem is that you have boost to top and bottom so they cancel each other out. You are running on just the spring right now and that is what is keeping your boost down.

To be safe you could install a regulator between the boost reference and the top of the wastegate and slowly increase the pressure to see how the truck responds. That would prevent you from seeing crazy boost numbers. This would be with nothing attached to the bottom port.

:whs:

The way Vadar's Fury stated above is how I plumb my gates. Hook regulated boost/manifold pressure to the top port, then leave the bottom port open to atmosphere. The more regulated pressure you add to the top port, the more boost/drive you will make. Also, this setup is fail safe; If you rupture a hose for some reason (chit happens), boost pressure will drop not increase. One more thing I'd like to add, I would recommend you run a short piece of hose off the bottom port to keep contaminates out of the gate.

Let us know how it goes, I wouldn't be suprised if it works great. Once that atmospheric charger lites, hold the *** on! LOL

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Im pretty sure these are on a 7.3 or id hope so since its in the 7.3 aftermarket section:shrug:

I could have sworn this was in the 6L section when I posted :shrug:

I also saw the username silverpsd_06 and thought that confirmed it...

:doh: Sorry, I obviously overlooked something. Carry on....

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
Ok i will try to take your guy's ideas to it as soon as possible. I have no high pressure oil leaks that i know of. What oil port are you guys talking about down by the oil pan? Can i bother someone to grab a picture of where the thing is i would love to get rid of the one coming off the top of the hpop res..

See i was thinking that the lpop had to refill the reservoir every time since i was allowing air to enter it and let it gravity feed back down over time.

I do not know what trim i have on mine to tell you the truth Brian, it's the tightest housing that i could get on it i believe. It's a 1.00 a/r. My injectors right now are 275/226 as soon as all the kinks get worked out I will be stepping up to 400/600's

Another thing that has popped up that sounds abnormal to me is a louder than normal cackle coming from the back of the motor and only under harder acceleration. Anything that would pop into anyones mind? The truck has been sitting for almost six months so im hanging on to my ass for the things that may crop up gotta replace a brake caliper already.

Im trying for pics tomorrow ladies :jammin:

NRHX2009

Reaction score
Ok i will try to take your guy's ideas to it as soon as possible. I have no high pressure oil leaks that i know of. What oil port are you guys talking about down by the oil pan? Can i bother someone to grab a picture of where the thing is i would love to get rid of the one coming off the top of the hpop res..

See i was thinking that the lpop had to refill the reservoir every time since i was allowing air to enter it and let it gravity feed back down over time.

I do not know what trim i have on mine to tell you the truth Brian, it's the tightest housing that i could get on it i believe. It's a 1.00 a/r. My injectors right now are 275/226 as soon as all the kinks get worked out I will be stepping up to 400/600's

Another thing that has popped up that sounds abnormal to me is a louder than normal cackle coming from the back of the motor and only under harder acceleration. Anything that would pop into anyones mind? The truck has been sitting for almost six months so im hanging on to my ass for the things that may crop up gotta replace a brake caliper already.

Im trying for pics tomorrow ladies :jammin:

Hey, watch that 1.00 A/R housing. Its going to be too tight for that wheel. It should be an F trim wheel 106mm exducer. Here are some pics of my PT-101 after 10 minutes of run time. Bad things happened
1120111642a.jpg

1120111642.jpg

1120111642b.jpg

Powersmoker

Reaction score

Here's a pic I found on Google.

2115889990045160794S600x600Q85.jpg

I added the arrow. IIRC it's a 1/8" NPT

02_ford_f250_power_stroke_diesel_rebuildcrankshaft.jpg

Powersmoker

Reaction score

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
See i have that same port taken up by my gen 3 is there another pressure port that i can use to feed the primary charger on the motor? I thought i heard powerstrokeracer say something about one on the passenger side that would be a viable option.

What the hell did you do to that poor turbine??? That is some nasty ass carnage there buddy. I have not gotten it to spool yet but if it's half as fun as what Brian's seems im gonna piss myself when it lights....

Powersmoker

Reaction score
See i have that same port taken up by my gen 3 is there another pressure port that i can use to feed the primary charger on the motor? I thought i heard powerstrokeracer say something about one on the passenger side that would be a viable option.

What the hell did you do to that poor turbine??? That is some nasty ass carnage there buddy. I have not gotten it to spool yet but if it's half as fun as what Brian's seems im gonna piss myself when it lights....

You could do either or on the LP oil supply...

On my PT101 oil feed, I tapped into the hpop reservoir as well. You already have the auxiliary oil line for the gen3, so oil volume at the reservoir shouldn't be an issue. Many have done this with no problems. Or you can find another pressure port on the block. I think your hard start might be another issue.

Last edited:

Marty

Reaction score
The arrow in the picture refers to a 1/4" npt hole.

To set my gates I subtract the spring rate from my target boost. I set a regulator with shop air to that number and feed the top of the gate. I usually start about 5 pounds low.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Gawd, I can't imagine what a cobbled up ***king mess of lines that is tapping off the HPOP reservoir. Clean and easy = line off the block at the pan rail, passenger side, 1/4" NPT like Marty said. Dedicated feed. Done and over. Leave your oil systems feed to do its job.

What's duty cycle and ICP look like during cranking?

Last edited:

907DAVE

Reaction score
Main oil galley is driver side......:poke:

There aint sh!t on the passenger side.

Powersmoker

Reaction score
The arrow in the picture refers to a 1/4" npt hole.

To set my gates I subtract the spring rate from my target boost. I set a regulator with shop air to that number and feed the top of the gate. I usually start about 5 pounds low.

1/4" npt sounds right. For some reason I had 1/8" npt stuck in my head last night. LOL

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online